> OpenDNS.org, Domain Name Server
jcdietz03
post Jan 18 2008, 07:00 AM
Post #1

Time Waster

Group: Flunkies
Member No.: 1609

OK, question:
I am using OpenDNS.org service. My question is: can I set it up so that whenever I type in "lacrimacastle.com" it redirects to this site. B/C I'm tired of all the broken links.

Update: I asked this question at the OpenDNS.org forums. They said no, it's not possible to do this.

What is OpenDNS.org?

First you need to know what is DNS. When you type in "Google.com" into your browser, the name "Google.com" needs to be translated into a numeric address (IP address) in order for your computer to communicate with their computer. To do this the DNS process happens.

When you log in to your ISP (happens automatically when you turn on your PC), your ISP assigns you an IP address. This address is what other computers use to talk to your computer. Your ISP also gives you their DNS server address.

During a DNS request, your computer sends the name "google.com" (or whatever name you're looking for) to your ISP's DNS server. The server replies back to your computer with the IP address. At this point the IP address is used to communicate with the target computer.

I looked up "google.com" today with a manual DNS lookup and got the numbers 64.233.167.99. If you type that into your brower you will get the google.com search page. In this case there is no need for DNS lookup because you gave your computer an IP address which can be used to communicate directly with the target computer.

With the OpenDNS.org server, you use OpenDNS.org's DNS servers instead of your ISPs. There are instructions on the site OpenDNS.org for how to set this up. Using the OpenDNS service allows you control over your DNS. For example, you can set up a service where DNS lookups for inappropriate sites are always denied (might be useful for parents). During peak use hours, the load on your ISP's DNS servers can be high. The OpenDNS servers have very high performance. They can be very fast. This will enhance your web browsing experience because less time is taken for DNS lookups.

I am making this topic b/c I'd like to see if anyone has an answer to the question at the top of this post.

This post has been edited by jcdietz03: Jan 18 2008, 08:47 PM
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th June 2024 - 03:58 AM