Lacrima Castle
HelpSearchMembersCalendar

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Now that we've all cooled down... (SPOILERS), It's time to whine about the translation.
Rhiannon
post Apr 9 2007, 01:18 AM
Post #1

I'm really moved by the chicken bone

Group: Gods
Member No.: 4

I usually don't complain about translations, because I have nothing worthwhile to complain about. In this situation, I do. And I know I'm not the only one who was disappointed in Yggdra Union's translation. There were countless typos scattered throughout (often in very noticeable places. YGGDRAR ANYONE?), and a lot of stupid decisions. I want to complain mostly about the decisions.

First of all, the stupid switching of Ankh and Ankh Cannon that they aren't even consistent with. Roswell just calls them Ankhs until a certain point, where everyone suddenly decides to call them Ankh Cannons. The Ankh Cannon is Eudy's invention. Something with both Ankhs and a little bit of improvement courtesy of her knowledge of cannons, thus Ankh Cannon. But no, now Eudy's invention is just an Ankh, and the objects that were fought over in Verlaine Hills are now Ankh Cannons. Does this make even the slightest bit of sense? Because I'm not seeing it.

Second of all, the event banner things. In the Japanese version, we had some text in English and some text in Japanese. In about only half of the cases, what they said was basically the same thing. In the English version, we only get English text. We only get what they translated the Japanese as. Any English text, no matter what it says in comparison to the Japanese, was simply removed. Here's one example that just sounds silly:
IPB Image IPB Image

The kanji was translated correctly, yeah, sure, that's nice. But in the English version, we miss half of what these banners say. That's stupid. You may think "oh, well it's not a big deal anyway right," but you're wrong. There is one (probably more, actually) case where you actually completely miss out on something important to the story because of this. I'll get to that later, though.

This change also makes some scenes seem so heartless and cold. An example of that would be in BF42. When Kylier sacrifices herself to destroy the Ankh Cannon (Oh, sorry, I meant Ankh). In the Japanese version, it said "Death in exchange for hope." That's actually a reference to Riviera, by the way. In the English version, all we get is "SACRIFICE"... It might just be me, but it feels like it's depreciating Kylier's actions. Making it seem like it was all for nothing. Considering the gameplay part before that, you also need something to show you that it is meant to be a situation where everyone is losing hope. We don't have that in the English version. How cold.

And now, the example I mentioned earlier about how you completely miss some of the story.
IPB Image IPB Image

... See what I mean? It's no wonder people who only played the English version tend to think that Nessiah will just reincarnate again. They're victims of a poor decision.

The chage of Make Doll to Doll Craft was pretty stupid. Make Doll doesn't sound pretty, but at least it made sense grammatically. If they wanted to make it sound pretty so badly, they should have made it Craft Doll or something. You know, something that makes sense.

It would also have been nice for them to translate certain things how they did in Riviera, to keep all of the references in (Mizer/Mizel, Kylier/Kirie, Kokorinut/Applecot, etc.).

~~~
IPB Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
4 Pages V « < 2 3 4  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(45 - 50)
SyphonVectorman
post Sep 20 2008, 04:36 AM
Post #46

Talkative

Group: Arcs
Member No.: 829

Um... Rai, are you talking about my picture?

I know about Mistel already. (=

It's the typo of "surprise" I'm talking about. ^_^;

Unless you're talking to someone else or you're referring to something else to what I said, then disregard what i just said, sorry! =D
+Quote Post
Raijinili
post Sep 20 2008, 09:42 AM
Post #47

Lieutenant

Group: Gods
Member No.: 16

I know. It's supposed to remind you of the joke about supplies.

~~~
IPB Image
+Quote Post
SyphonVectorman
post Sep 20 2008, 06:37 PM
Post #48

Talkative

Group: Arcs
Member No.: 829

Oh okay! Sorry, I didn't understand the joke! ^_^;

There's also this weird thing Mistel says in Battlefield 25 which is completely different from the on screen text! =D

BATTLEFIELD 21 RECRUITMENT SPOILER IN VIDEO!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2cu4SObna0

This post has been edited by SyphonVectorman: Sep 23 2008, 08:59 PM
+Quote Post
Irysa
post Jul 25 2012, 04:55 AM
Post #49

Towards some blank infinity

Group: Knights
Member No.: 65

4 year necrobump

In the English PSP version, when you beat an enemy unit with Crusade, it still lists "Jihad End" on the morale calculation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VSAljthZcI...tailpage#t=165s

~~~
[13:27:43] [Sabator] peter would be the worst batman ever though. "turn on the bat-signal" "right!" *turns on huge foglight, beams an image of striped pantsu into the sky*
+Quote Post
Dr Strum
post Jul 28 2012, 03:30 AM
Post #50

Can Lead the Nation with a Microphone

Group: Angels
Member No.: 1

Bahaha, super fail.
I imagine the YUPSP translation was a great deal of copy-paste, though, so I'm not surprised.

~~~
Писатель всегда будет в оппозиции к политике, пока сама политика будет в оппозиции к культуре.
+Quote Post
P.P.A.
post Aug 5 2012, 08:23 AM
Post #51

Architect of the Great Wall of Text

Group: Naughty Children
Member No.: 121

IPB Image
+Quote Post

4 Pages V « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 06:51 AM