Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Do they sell inspiration around here?
yip9
post Jul 1 2008, 12:08 PM
Post #1

Shy

Group: Arcs
Member No.: 1749

I want to write a fan fiction piece centered around Nietzsche, but I don't understand her character well and I lack an idea for the plot.

No, you don't need to tell me that this is a stupid topic; i realize that is probably the case. So why'd i post it? *shrugs* For fun and profit.

*As i post the word 'profit', Sting sues me.*

Edit: The anti-romaji filter even blocks honorifics. Wow, that's annoying.

This post has been edited by yip9: Jul 1 2008, 12:10 PM

~~~
I play Riviera for two reasons: IPB Image IPB Image

IIRC, credits go to Feral Phoenix for Fiaa's icon and ChefMKT for the Lyuri scan.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Dr Strum
post Jul 1 2008, 03:51 PM
Post #2

Can Lead the Nation with a Microphone

Group: Angels
Member No.: 1

It's not an anti-romaji filter, it's an anti-Japanophilia filter.

~~~
Писатель всегда будет в оппозиции к политике, пока сама политика будет в оппозиции к культуре.
+Quote Post
Raijinili
post Jul 2 2008, 06:02 AM
Post #3

Lieutenant

Group: Gods
Member No.: 16

The whole point of the filter is to block honorifics. If people didn't use honorifics, there wouldn't even be a filter.

The problem with honorifics is that it's something particular to the language. For example, the following are all stupid:
1. Using Japanese honorifics when speaking Chinese
2. Using English honorifics (haha there are none) when speaking Japanese
3. Translating a work from English to Japanese without adding honorifics.
4. Translating a work from Japanese to English without removing honorifics.

Besides showing your complete ignorance of honorifics, you're also being very offensive to English-speaking Asians who actually grew up with a language that uses such honorifics. Have you ever heard a Chinese immigrant call someone "Henry-go" (big brother Henry) or something similar when they're speaking English? Of course not (possibly because you don't know any Chinese immigrants, but I know plenty of Chinese immigrants who don't use honorifics when speaking English). You're making them look stupid when you use honorifics in a language which doesn't accomodate them.

~~~
IPB Image
+Quote Post
yip9
post Jul 3 2008, 11:14 AM
Post #4

Shy

It is true that I do not understand Japanese honorifics. I grew up in Taiwan, and I have heard people use Chinese honorifics when speaking English. For example, let's assume my name is Henry Chass. Some kids I know will call me 'Henry ge ge', i.e. big brother Henry. Sometimes people, when speaking English, will call me 'Chass xian sheng', i.e. Mr. Chass.
+Quote Post
Leyviur
post Jul 4 2008, 11:08 AM
Post #5

Just Some Guy

Member No.: 10

You will find American Chinese do not do this.
+Quote Post
H. Tsukiyono
post Jul 4 2008, 09:20 PM
Post #6

I am not a cat meow

Group: Flunkies
Member No.: 1457

Plenty of American Japanese use Japanese honorifics while speaking English, but I guess I can see what the filter's there for.

Slightly on topic, my dad also likes to make up pseudo-honorifics, sort of. I get "Tomoko-oi, come look at this!" all the time. (The pictures are almost always of Mt. Fuji because he's a Mt. Fuji fanboy.)

On the question of what to write, you could do a character study of Nietzsche's experience as pretty much the kid in Yggdra's army. Her age and life experiences in combination with her personality probably gives her a slightly different outlook on life than the others, considering. There's also material to work with concerning the fact that she's the only Undine in said army. What's her take on the differences between herself and the humans she's allied with, what are her concerns, and does she even care that she's the only one with a fishtail?

I've been too short of non-fanfiction prompts lately, so when I finally have a chance to give some out I wind up sounding like my junior year creative writing class, sorry.

This post has been edited by H. Tsukiyono: Jul 4 2008, 09:34 PM
+Quote Post
yip9
post Jul 8 2008, 09:18 AM
Post #7

Shy

On the question of what to write, you could do a character study of Nietzsche's experience as pretty much the kid in Yggdra's army. Her age and life experiences in combination with her personality probably gives her a slightly different outlook on life than the others, considering. There's also material to work with concerning the fact that she's the only Undine in said army. What's her take on the differences between herself and the humans she's allied with, what are her concerns, and does she even care that she's the only one with a fishtail?

Thanks. Yours is the first post to actually help me in this topic.

I wanted to use an honorific in the first post in order to distinguish the Undine from the philosopher. ^_^

Do folks here think finishing the game will help me further understand Nietzsche, or does her character development pretty much fizz out after the early game?
+Quote Post
Raijinili
post Jul 10 2008, 12:40 AM
Post #8

Lieutenant

That's a poor excuse. Who would think you're talking about the philosopher?

~~~
IPB Image
+Quote Post
H. Tsukiyono
post Jul 10 2008, 12:52 AM
Post #9

I am not a cat meow

QUOTE(Raijinili @ Jul 9 2008, 05:40 PM) *

That's a poor excuse. Who would think you're talking about the philosopher?

Depending on how zonked I am I might.
+Quote Post
Raijinili
post Jul 10 2008, 01:00 AM
Post #10

Lieutenant

Whether or not people should mix languages does not hinge on whether or not you're in a stable state of mind all the time.

~~~
IPB Image
+Quote Post
H. Tsukiyono
post Jul 11 2008, 07:16 AM
Post #11

I am not a cat meow

QUOTE(Raijinili @ Jul 9 2008, 06:00 PM) *

Whether or not people should mix languages does not hinge on whether or not you're in a stable state of mind all the time.

I never said it did. All I said was that I might confuse Nietzsches' depending on how not dead I am. That was in reply to you asking what idiot could possibly confuse Nietzsches' in context.

This post has been edited by H. Tsukiyono: Jul 11 2008, 07:18 AM
+Quote Post
valkan
post Aug 26 2008, 01:33 AM
Post #12

Vivec

Group: Knights
Member No.: 5

Now now, he asked a valid question.

Think about it this way, start the "what-if" rounds. What would happen in this situation, what would happen after this, so on and so forth.

And if you don't understand her character well, go back and play YU a few times, then read what other people say about her. I never finished YU, so you're on your own on that end.

Hope that's not too late.

~~~
"Wheels within wheels..."
IPB Image
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th May 2024 - 07:39 AM