Lacrima Castle
HelpSearchMembersCalendar

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

8 Pages V « < 4 5 6 7 8 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The... um... Music Thing..., NOT the information. This is where we do stuff.
Dr Strum
post May 21 2007, 08:48 PM
Post #76

Can Lead the Nation with a Microphone

Group: Angels
Member No.: 1

Far too busy for a solo piece. Or perhaps it's the dynamics, but that could be the clipping caused by being an MP3 file...

~~~
Писатель всегда будет в оппозиции к политике, пока сама политика будет в оппозиции к культуре.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Walrus
post May 26 2007, 12:38 AM
Post #77

ちょうちょうさん

Member No.: 830

Motoi Sakuraba - The Valedictory Elegy

This is the main battle theme of Baten Kaitos Origins. I like violins. And Motoi Sakuraba.

~~~
COME ON BOYS LET'S GO KILL SOME BOOOOOOAR
+Quote Post
Irysa
post May 26 2007, 12:49 AM
Post #78

Towards some blank infinity

Group: Knights
Member No.: 65

Everfades - 紅魔最終楽章独奏 - Sauce

I tried on frequent occasions, but I just couldn't like this track. Too much going on.

Motoi Sakuraba - The Valedictory Elegy - Walrus

Bleh. Its not bad, but its , yet again, boring.

~~~
[13:27:43] [Sabator] peter would be the worst batman ever though. "turn on the bat-signal" "right!" *turns on huge foglight, beams an image of striped pantsu into the sky*
+Quote Post
Dr Strum
post May 26 2007, 01:04 AM
Post #79

Too much going on.
Are you kidding? At least there's an obvious lead, unlike in much of metal.

Anyways. The lead is too obvious, since it's so simple. The composition is kind of nice, but the arrangement itself is off-putting.

~~~
Писатель всегда будет в оппозиции к политике, пока сама политика будет в оппозиции к культуре.
+Quote Post
Irysa
post May 26 2007, 01:06 AM
Post #80

Are you kidding? At least there's an obvious lead, unlike in much of metal.
Who was bringing metal into this?

Too much going on is a bad description of what I wanted to say, but I'm finding it hard to say exactly what.

~~~
[13:27:43] [Sabator] peter would be the worst batman ever though. "turn on the bat-signal" "right!" *turns on huge foglight, beams an image of striped pantsu into the sky*
+Quote Post
Dr Strum
post May 26 2007, 01:07 AM
Post #81

I was. Obviously.

~~~
+Quote Post
Irysa
post May 26 2007, 01:10 AM
Post #82

Why then? I'm not comparing to metal, and I never said it was any better in that aspect.

~~~
+Quote Post
Dr Strum
post May 26 2007, 01:21 AM
Post #83

No shit. I was making the comparison. You're getting rather confused and defensive about this.

~~~
+Quote Post
Yuka
post May 26 2007, 03:32 AM
Post #84

We'll soak this parched earth with our own blood.

Group: Magi
Member No.: 177

Shouldn't all that be in a different thread?

Motoi Sakuraba - The Valedictory Elegy

Walrus brings to the table this round a song from well-established Japanese composer Motoi Sakuraba, the mastermind behind video game OSTs such as Valkyrie Profile, Tales of Symphonia, Golden Sun, and Radiata Stories, just to name a few. This particular song happens to come from Baten Kaitos Origins.

Featuring a combination of percussion, keyboards, violins, and an instrument at one particular segment that I can't quite identify, The Valedictory Elegy sounds almost like something you'd expect to be very freaking good, and mind you, it almost lives up to that expectation. However, the one main gripe I have with this particular tune is that, for me, there's really not enough content portrayed. The song comes close to three minutes long, and you'd think that'd be enough to satisfy me in content, but I would have really preferred forty-five more seconds or so. This song can't stand alone, as it was made to loop since it happens to be a battle theme from a video game, but you'd think the end of the song before it loops would be a bit more fancy, or show signs of a climax, or something that a standard song has for an ending, not just a "go back to start and fade out" that is so common in video game music.

I understand that video game music is supposed to loop, and the fact its written because of that is the one gripe I have with nearly every single piece of music in a video game, because if you take it out of the game, it sits there fading out on you for an ending. There isn't a definite ending.

Mind you, the writing isn't bad at all, and at some parts is quite catchy. The violin writing is superb, and they make use of a piano, which is always nice.

The fact that the ending isn't suitable outside of a video game, as well as there not really being enough content to work with, this tune almost suffers the same fate that Tonfa's first submission suffered, with it being too short and really not enough done with it. I'm pretty sure it sounds nice in the game, which I wouldn't know, as I don't have Baten Kaitos Origins.

Final Score: 6.5/10

~~~
[20:15] Irysa: I hate myself
[20:15] Irysa: I made myself some curry
[20:15] Irysa: and then
[20:15] Irysa: I realised
[20:15] Irysa: I wasn't hungry
+Quote Post
Dr Strum
post May 26 2007, 03:35 AM
Post #85

What thread? What thread is intended for discussion of the music posted? This thread. That's right.

this tune almost suffers the same fate that Tonfa's first submission suffered, with it being too short and really not enough done with it.
That's it. My next submission will be "Cake"

~~~
+Quote Post
Yuka
post May 26 2007, 03:39 AM
Post #86

We'll soak this parched earth with our own blood.

Group: Magi
Member No.: 177

QUOTE(Dr Sturm @ May 25 2007, 11:35 PM) *

What thread? What thread is intended for discussion of the music posted? This thread. That's right.

http://www.lacrimacastle.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=1736

You guys seem to have a tendency to attack there. Plus the argument you and Asaph are having at the moment is getting me kind of confused on which song we're talking about now.

~~~
[20:15] Irysa: I hate myself
[20:15] Irysa: I made myself some curry
[20:15] Irysa: and then
[20:15] Irysa: I realised
[20:15] Irysa: I wasn't hungry
+Quote Post
Dr Strum
post May 26 2007, 04:02 AM
Post #87

No, he has a tendency to be an idiot and post in the wrong thread. And if you're confused, you're an even bigger idiot.

~~~
+Quote Post
Irysa
post May 26 2007, 04:32 AM
Post #88

QUOTE(Dr Sturm @ May 26 2007, 02:21 AM) *

No shit. I was making the comparison. You're getting rather confused and defensive about this.

You were commenting on my choice of words, and for some reason, decided to say something about metal out of the blue. I can only assume you're getting at something, unless you enjoy spouting stuff that isn't relevant.

And stop being an ass to Sauce.

Sauce, I asked Rhia a while back after those comments, this thread is fine for it.

~~~
+Quote Post
Dr Strum
post May 26 2007, 04:40 AM
Post #89

You were commenting on my choice of words,
No, I was commenting on the idea your words expressed. Just because you chose the wrong words, doesn't mean I was attacking them. Isn't that a no-no? Attacking the words instead of the idea? Well, whatever.

decided to say something about metal out of the blue
It was not out of the blue, it was a comparison. I don't know if this is a matter of musical ignorance or simple conversational confusion, but you're completely out of the ballpark right now.

And stop being an ass to Sauce.
I will be an ass to whoever I damn well please.

~~~
+Quote Post
Irysa
post May 26 2007, 12:39 PM
Post #90

No, I was commenting on the idea your words expressed. Just because you chose the wrong words, doesn't mean I was attacking them. Isn't that a no-no? Attacking the words instead of the idea? Well, whatever.
The way you expressed yourself hints otherwise.
It was not out of the blue, it was a comparison. I don't know if this is a matter of musical ignorance or simple conversational confusion, but you're completely out of the ballpark right now.
Why on earth did you use a genre I frequently listen to as a comparison then? Its not like other genres don't have clear leads all the time.
I will be an ass to whoever I damn well please.
I'm sorry, I forgot you had complete supremity.

~~~
+Quote Post

8 Pages V « < 4 5 6 7 8 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th June 2024 - 02:22 PM