> RAI H8 REVELLION, STING = WARONG
Rhiannon
post Aug 13 2006, 11:38 PM
Post #16

I'm really moved by the chicken bone

Group: Gods
Member No.: 4

Yeah, Rai. Way to use spoiler tags.

Ignorance would allow them to make a mistake.

Ignorance of English, you mean? I can see that.

The katakana was done in the first game, the English was done for the second. It's not possible for them to make a mistake the first time and expand on that mistake the second time?

And if "Touuru" is "Tor", then they had it wrong in English, didn't they?

No, Rai, it's not. On a more serious note, you never said it was "Tor", you said it was "Thor", which actually made sense, so I don't get what that has to do with this. Again.

No matter how much effort you put into a translation, if you don't know what it means, you don't know what it means.

Stop acting like you're right just because you don't know what Revellion means but DO know what Rebellion means. And if that is not what you're saying, be more clear about it. Not everyone is a genius who can see the meaning behind every sentence.

Because you never say never. Um, I mean... If they never made a mistake, it's more likely that they haven't made a mistake now. If they have had mistakes in the past, their credibility is reduced.

People don't constantly get worse at things. They get better.

Or selective memory.

And you say that I'm being a jerk. I would say that's quite hypocritical of you, Rai! But fine. If you don't want those examples you supposedly gave to be included in this, I don't care. Less typing for me.

TOOLUS. That's what I call a big mistake.

Toolus. Was Toolus ever written in English by Sting? Show me.

More huge spoilers. For Yggdra AND Riviera. So don't look at this.
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

~~~
IPB Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Raijinili
post Aug 14 2006, 07:56 PM
Post #17

Lieutenant

Member No.: 16

No, Rai, it's not. On a more serious note, you never said it was "Tor", you said it was "Thor", which actually made sense, so I don't get what that has to do with this. Again.
Tor and Thor are the same person, actually.
Stop acting like you're right just because you don't know what Revellion means but DO know what Rebellion means. And if that is not what you're saying, be more clear about it. Not everyone is a genius who can see the meaning behind every sentence.
No matter how much effort Sting puts into a translation, if they can't find a correct way to translate it, then they probably won't translate it correctly.
People don't constantly get worse at things. They get better.
THAT HASN'T WORKED FOR ME!
And you say that I'm being a jerk. I would say that's quite hypocritical of you, Rai! But fine. If you don't want those examples you supposedly gave to be included in this, I don't care. Less typing for me.
Part of the reason I said you were being a jerk is because you're doing a lot of things I did.

Also, hypocrisy doesn't make a person wrong.
Toolus. Was Toolus ever written in English by Sting? Show me.
More huge spoilers. For Yggdra AND Riviera. So don't look at this.
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «
If the person working on assigning attacks didn't know what the Riviera attack meant, then it's quite possible that he/she translated it incorrectly and assigned the name incorrectly.

We'll likely never know, as Atlus might use "Angelic Thunder" again.

~~~
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Dr Strum
post Aug 14 2006, 08:17 PM
Post #18

Can Lead the Nation with a Microphone

Group: Angels
Member No.: 1

No matter how much effort Sting puts into a translation, if they can't find a correct way to translate it, then they probably won't translate it correctly.

So you continue to refuse to believe that maybe, just maybe, Sting MEANT it to be "Revellion?"

~~~
Писатель всегда будет в оппозиции к политике, пока сама политика будет в оппозиции к культуре.
+Quote Post
Rhiannon
post Aug 14 2006, 08:44 PM
Post #19

Tor and Thor are the same person, actually.

Prove it. I've never heard of "Tor" ever before.

You don't know what Sting wanted it to be.

THAT HASN'T WORKED FOR ME!

That's not my fault.

Part of the reason I said you were being a jerk is because you're doing a lot of things I did.

Also, hypocrisy doesn't make a person wrong.

I never said hypocrisy made you wrong. I was just saying you are sounding very hypocritical right now.

COURTESY OF MARI
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a344/mikosama/divine.jpg

Okay, so in English it's Toolus. That's different from how it was written in katakana. Quite different. Explain how that is proving your point.

If the person working on assigning attacks didn't know what the Riviera attack meant, then it's quite possible that he/she translated it incorrectly and assigned the name incorrectly.

We'll likely never know, as Atlus might use "Angelic Thunder" again.

Yes, and it's quite possible that Sting wants Revellion, and that the person who assigned the attacks didn't do anything wrong, but actually did everything right.

Basically, Rai, you have no way to prove your point. Even if you manage to think up an example of something that was written nearly the same in katakana and English, and Atlus or whoever translated it as something different, there's always a huge chance that Sting still meant what they wrote.

And, yeah. Since when can V be B? You told me the other way around was possible, but not this.

~~~
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Yuka
post Aug 14 2006, 09:21 PM
Post #20

We'll soak this parched earth with our own blood.

Group: Magi
Member No.: 177

Can someone please tell me why this topic has gone so severly off course? o.O

~~~
[20:15] Irysa: I hate myself
[20:15] Irysa: I made myself some curry
[20:15] Irysa: and then
[20:15] Irysa: I realised
[20:15] Irysa: I wasn't hungry
+Quote Post
Dr Strum
post Aug 14 2006, 09:27 PM
Post #21

Because Seans made the claim that all the names had been changed when Riviera had been brought over, and when correcting him, I mentioned Revellion.
Then Rai started whining.

~~~
Писатель всегда будет в оппозиции к политике, пока сама политика будет в оппозиции к культуре.
+Quote Post
Yuka
post Aug 14 2006, 09:29 PM
Post #22

We'll soak this parched earth with our own blood.

Group: Magi
Member No.: 177

Sounds like Rai, given how often he whines in the channel >_>

~~~
[20:15] Irysa: I hate myself
[20:15] Irysa: I made myself some curry
[20:15] Irysa: and then
[20:15] Irysa: I realised
[20:15] Irysa: I wasn't hungry
+Quote Post
Leyviur
post Aug 16 2006, 01:46 AM
Post #23

Just Some Guy

Member No.: 10

...you do it just as much.
+Quote Post
Raijinili
post Aug 16 2006, 04:36 AM
Post #24

Lieutenant

QUOTE (Dr Sturm)
So you continue to refuse to believe that maybe, just maybe, Sting MEANT it to be "Revellion?"
What I say before an argument does not necessarily represent how much conviction I have in an idea. For that matter, what I say during an argument does not necessarily represent what I believe anyway, but that one doesn't apply here.
QUOTE (Rhiannon)
Prove it. I've never heard of "Tor" ever before.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thor#Other_names
But this has NOTHING to do with the argument.
QUOTE (Rhiannon)
You don't know what Sting wanted it to be.
Neither do you. But my side never said "you're wrong" in this argument.
QUOTE (RHIANNON)
That's not my fault.
IT'S STURM'S FAULT.
QUOTE (Rhiannon)
I never said hypocrisy made you wrong. I was just saying you are sounding very hypocritical right now.
Sometimes people need a reminder that "hypocrite" shouldn't win arguments.
QUOTE (Rhiannon)
Okay, so in English it's Toolus. That's different from how it was written in katakana. Quite different. Explain how that is proving your point.
Sting translated something into katakana, then back into English. The katakana is very weird and the English is wrong if "Thor" was the intended name.
QUOTE (Rhiannon)
Basically, Rai, you have no way to prove your point. Even if you manage to think up an example of something that was written nearly the same in katakana and English, and Atlus or whoever translated it as something different, there's always a huge chance that Sting still meant what they wrote.
Proof by evidence is no sure proof.

But where did you get "huge" from?
QUOTE (Sauce)
Sounds like Rai, given how often he whines in the channel >_>
Y HALO THAR RANDOM TROLLING

~~~
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Rhiannon
post Aug 16 2006, 05:21 AM
Post #25

But this has NOTHING to do with the argument.

Okay.

Neither do you. But my side never said "you're wrong" in this argument.

But I do know that it's Revellion! So for now, and until Atlus translates the game, it's still Revellion.

Sting translated something into katakana, then back into English. The katakana is very weird and the English is wrong if "Thor" was the intended name.

The difference here, is that the katakana for Toolus was completely different from the word. So um. *points at Revellion being VERY VERY similar to Riverion and points at how it would make absolutely no sense to translate into Rebellion, unlike "Tuooru" or whatever it was translating into Thor. Because that actually made a bit of sense.*

Proof by evidence is no sure proof.

But where did you get "huge" from?

It's better proof than you're ever going to end up pulling out, at this rate.

And "huge" is there because there's nothing pointing away from it being Revellion.

Y HALO THAR RANDOM TROLLING

Y HALO THAR "Sauce is on your side, that's an automatic lose. Shut up Sauce, you're always wrong," etc.

OH AND YEAH THANKS RAI FOR IGNORING THE LAST POINT I MADE IN MY LAST POST. :O

~~~
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Raijinili
post Aug 16 2006, 08:40 PM
Post #26

Lieutenant

QUOTE (Rhiannon)
But I do know that it's Revellion! So for now, and until Atlus translates the game, it's still Revellion.
Atlus is going to translate it "Angelic Thunder", most likely.
QUOTE (Rhiannon)
The difference here, is that the katakana for Toolus was completely different from the word. So um. *points at Revellion being VERY VERY similar to Riverion and points at how it would make absolutely no sense to translate into Rebellion, unlike "Tuooru" or whatever it was translating into Thor. Because that actually made a bit of sense.*
The romaji is only one letter off. It's also "very very similar" to the original katakana.
QUOTE (Rhiannon)
It's better proof than you're ever going to end up pulling out, at this rate.

And "huge" is there because there's nothing pointing away from it being Revellion.
"Revellion" is not a word. That points it away. Also, "Rebellion" fits better.
QUOTE (Rhiannon)
Y HALO THAR "Sauce is on your side, that's an automatic lose. Shut up Sauce, you're always wrong," etc.
That's not random at all. That's just trolling.
QUOTE (Rhiannon)
OH AND YEAH THANKS RAI FOR IGNORING THE LAST POINT I MADE IN MY LAST POST. :O
Like you ignored my response when it was brought up in the chat?

~~~
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Dr Strum
post Aug 16 2006, 08:50 PM
Post #27

No, Rai, for the who-knows-how-many-th time, Rebellion does NOT fit better.
Also, Rai, there is a such thing as NOT ripping everyname from mythology and dictionaries, and coming up with NEW words for names.

~~~
+Quote Post
Rhiannon
post Aug 16 2006, 09:01 PM
Post #28

Atlus is going to translate it "Angelic Thunder", most likely.

Then until Atlus brings it over, it's still Revellion.

The romaji is only one letter off. It's also "very very similar" to the original katakana.

No, it's not. It's not as close to the katakana as Revellion is. So no. It's not the same thing here.

"Revellion" is not a word. That points it away. Also, "Rebellion" fits better.

You don't know what Revellion is or isn't. Remember, Rai. Just because you don't know what it is doesn't mean you're automatically right. And no, Rebellion does not fit better. Stop saying it does. PLAY THROUGH THE GAME BEFORE MAKING STUPID ASSUMPTIONS.

That's not random at all. That's just trolling.

His wasn't random either. And I don't care if it was random, trolling, or a fork. It's stupid.

Like you ignored my response when it was brought up in the chat?

Are you completely sure that I was even there at the time? No, you're probably not. Oh, and keep in mind the fact that things move very fast in the channel when there's an argument or discussion going on. It's easy to have missed it. I would ask you to bring it up again, but apparently whenever I miss something it's best to just never mention it again.

Anyway, depending on if you say something that helps your argument or not, I'm going to do something stupid like you and just completely ignore what you say and act as though you can never be right, no matter what.

~~~
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Raijinili
post Aug 17 2006, 02:59 AM
Post #29

Lieutenant

QUOTE (Dr Sturm)
No, Rai, for the who-knows-how-many-th time, Rebellion does NOT fit better.
So the only alternatives are that Revellion fits better, or that they fit equally well. Are you claiming Revellion fits better?
QUOTE (Dr Sturm)
Also, Rai, there is a such thing as NOT ripping everyname from mythology and dictionaries, and coming up with NEW words for names.
Nearly all words in these two Sting games come from somewhere or are derived from something. If you say that this one is, for some reason, not, then provide other examples of this to show that it is plausible as an explanation.
QUOTE (Rhiannon)
Then until Atlus brings it over, it's still Revellion.
That's not how logic works. You can't just say, "Until I'm proven wrong, I'm right."
QUOTE (Rhiannon)
No, it's not. It's not as close to the katakana as Revellion is. So no. It's not the same thing here.
So because of a possible typo, you're saying that this is not proof that Sting makes mistakes in translating words back? You are not thinking.
QUOTE (Rhiannon)
You don't know what Revellion is or isn't. Remember, Rai. Just because you don't know what it is doesn't mean you're automatically right.
I know that Revellion is not a common word, if a word at all, in any language.
QUOTE (Rhiannon)
And no, Rebellion does not fit better. Stop saying it does. PLAY THROUGH THE GAME BEFORE MAKING STUPID ASSUMPTIONS.
Then you are also claiming that "Revellion" makes sense in the context of the game, without being compared to Rebellion. Then you'll have to show how the meaning of the word fits in with its context.

Except, remember, you have no idea what it means, do you?
QUOTE (Rhiannon)
His wasn't random either. And I don't care if it was random, trolling, or a fork. It's stupid.
I called it "random" because the comment was about me without being directed at me, and was in response to a post that was about the discussion, not me.
QUOTE (Rhiannon)
Are you completely sure that I was even there at the time? No, you're probably not. Oh, and keep in mind the fact that things move very fast in the channel when there's an argument or discussion going on. It's easy to have missed it. I would ask you to bring it up again, but apparently whenever I miss something it's best to just never mention it again.
Hard to miss it when I say it several times.
[18:09] Cierra: Search for Revellion on Google image search
[18:09] Cierra: Something about Brazillian websties
[18:10] Cierra: There you go.
[18:10] Kia: but Rebellion -does- make sense, and what with how B often equals V with regards to Japanese pronouncing things, I think it's pretty safe to say it's Rebellion!
[18:10] Muffin: No, not in YU it doesn't.
[18:10] * Kia facepalms
[18:10] Cierra: But Kia, it's written with v
[18:10] IHateMegao: When you have a bad translator, V can be B
[18:10] Cierra: Not b
[18:10] Kia: Because they misspelled it!
[18:10] * Sanori goes back on her search for a good L2 Private Server...
[18:10] Kia: Do you know how many times the Japanese write an L in place of an R even in English?
[18:10] Cierra: Yes
[18:10] Muffin: Yes.
[18:10] Kia: Cause they do it a hell of a lot!
[18:10] Cierra: I do
[18:10] Cierra: BUT LOOK KIA
[18:10] Cierra: BRAZIL.
[18:11] Kia: <_<;
[18:11] Cierra: Oh, I understand
[18:11] Cierra: Riviera should be Ribiera
[18:11] Cierra: <_<
[18:11] Cierra: Yeah Rai
[18:11] Cierra: Way to go.

[18:13] Cierra: In EVERY WAY POSSIBLE
[18:13] Enzd: Rai likes to make things happen :(
[18:13] Muffin: SO?
[18:13] Cierra: Unless Rai sucks as a teacher, V CANNOT be B
[18:13] Kia: Rai likes to exhibit common sense >>
[18:13] Cierra: Uh
[18:13] Cierra: Common sense?
[18:13] * Sanori eats more of Muffin
[18:13] IHateMegao: When it's a bad translator, IT CAN BE
[18:13] Muffin: IT'S A MADE UP WORLD, MADE UP WORDS ARE ALLOWED
[18:13] Kia: How does Revellion make any sense at all for a name
[18:13] Cierra: Kia, you don't listen to him often, do you? >_>
[18:13] Kia: sometimes
[18:13] Kia: <<
[18:13] Cierra: I don't know. There are a lot of things called Revellion
[18:13] Cierra: Google searches prove that!
[18:13] Kia: xD
[18:14] Sauce: Rai

[18:15] Sauce: What you're saying Rai is that Sting's translator screwed up the name
[18:15] * Kia drags Sano away
[18:15] Cierra: But Sauce, V CAN'T be B
[18:15] Cierra: That's the thing.
[18:15] Sauce: I got that point
[18:15] IHateMegao: You should know enough about how katakana works to know that the translation into katakana is only as good as the translator
[18:15] Cierra: So Rai is wrong. It's Revellion until Atlus brings it over
[18:15] Cierra: And even then it may still be Revellion
[18:15] Cierra: We'll see.
[18:15] * Sanori 's nails make lines in the ground "Nuuu"
[18:15] Cierra: That means you're bad at it. :(
[18:16] Cierra: See Rai, NOW I'm more trolling than anything else
[18:16] IHateMegao: How am I wrong when there's a doubt?
[18:16] Cierra: There isn't any doubt
[18:16] IHateMegao: -_-
[18:16] Sauce: There's a doubt that the translator screwed up
QUOTE (Rhiannon)
Anyway, depending on if you say something that helps your argument or not, I'm going to do something stupid like you and just completely ignore what you say and act as though you can never be right, no matter what.
When have I once said that you couldn't be right? Your side is the one claiming absolutes as the stance in this argument.

This post has been edited by Raijinili: Aug 17 2006, 03:01 AM

~~~
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Dr Strum
post Aug 17 2006, 03:10 AM
Post #30

Yes, Revellion does, in fact, fit better than Rebellion.

If you say that this one is, for some reason, not, then provide other examples of this to show that it is plausible as an explanation.

Well, I've never heard of Gran Centurio before YU, nor Gulcasa or Ishiene.

~~~
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st September 2024 - 03:42 PM