Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> DHE Codecs, Dissecting the games
Dr Strum
post Sep 23 2012, 03:27 AM
Post #1

Can Lead the Nation with a Microphone

Group: Angels
Member No.: 1

Hello all. I've started a GitHub repo for a project Rai and I have essentially been working in for five years very sporadically, the same project that provided a lot of the RiviPSP content on the site.
It's where we nerd out and hack proprietary file formats in St!ng games.

BUT WAIT
You can help too. That's why started a repo. There's a wiki on the repo where I am documenting our efforts in decrypting these files, and a number of python files needing coding. Trust me, you can probably help. Python is super easy to learn (you can practically read it as is, though some of this code will require some studying up), and even if you're not in the mood to code, you can help with the wikis and other stuff. Dunno, there's plenty to be done though.

My only request is that you not upload files from the games, whether directly from the game or decrypted by the tools, to the repo. I don't want legal issues, and these files take a lot of space and make working with the repo slow.

Help out if you can, and if you can't... Learn! Seriously, there's a lot that can be done and a lot of the main stuff can be learned in a weekend.
For example, one thing that needs to be done is the LIM decoder. I even have the spec for the LIM file format up in the wiki, and an algorithm that only needs to be translated into python (although I wrote it with python more or less in mind, so it's pretty simple to figure out). And you don't need to solve everything to contribute! Even adding one line of code or documentation to the wiki helps.

My current goal is to get all of the archive decrypting tools documented and maybe even coded (they are the easiest of all to code) so that it's easier for people to start probing and working with the files we actually want.

~~~
Писатель всегда будет в оппозиции к политике, пока сама политика будет в оппозиции к культуре.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Dr Strum
post Jan 23 2013, 02:20 AM
Post #2

Can Lead the Nation with a Microphone

Group: Angels
Member No.: 1

Regarding bin files (for Gungnir animations)...
Still kind of working on it. The structure as far as I can tell consists of a header of 20 bytes (two addresses, two run lengths and one unknown item), followed by two blocks of offsets, the first block pointing to the second and the second to another block, which contains code of some sort that I'm presuming describes animation frames but I'm still working on deciphering it. Following the second block is some semi-mysterious data, but I think the "code of some sort" references it, and I think it actually references the frames as the constructed frames from the TPL files. This section is only present for TPL files with many sprites. However, I know that in this code:
CODE
0x01 = End Command (0x20 and 0x51 will both be met by this at the end)
0x20 = Animation Start
    0x10 = Frame description (three parameters)
        B1: Unknown
        B2: Frame number (from TPL)
        B3: Unknown
0x51 = Animation Start (larger sprites)
    0x## = First four bytes following 0x51 are always a number, power of 2
    0x50 = Frame Description (four parameters)
        B1: Unknown
        B2: Offset of Frame Info in mysterious section
        B3: Unknown
        B4: Unknown

0x23 and 0x21 are other probable commands

What might make it extra hard: Some of the frames I've been extracting from the TPLs are hands (and feet and other limbs). They're frames intended to be pasted over weapons which are pasted over hands, giving the illusion of holding an item.

~~~
Писатель всегда будет в оппозиции к политике, пока сама политика будет в оппозиции к культуре.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th May 2024 - 10:47 PM