Reply to this topicStart new topic
> US President/VP Discussion Thread
Dr Strum
post Sep 9 2008, 02:09 AM
Post #16

Can Lead the Nation with a Microphone

Group: Angels
Member No.: 1

Biden takes care of a sick mother, and commutes to Washington from Delaware every day.
Obama isn't so rich because he and his wife only just recently paid off their student loans.
As for where you find the public records, I don't know.

~~~
Писатель всегда будет в оппозиции к политике, пока сама политика будет в оппозиции к культуре.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
jcdietz03
post Sep 17 2008, 07:18 PM
Post #17

Time Waster

Group: Flunkies
Member No.: 1609

Sarah Palin is impressing me less and less.
I'm also not impressed with Joe Biden, but at least the basic premise of "He's a Washington insider and knows how to get things done" is true.

They are billing Palin as an energy expert, something she is not.
They said Alaska produces 20% of nation's oil. False. Alaska produces 3.5% of nation's oil. Palin's husband, an oilfield operator, is probably more of an energy expert than she is.

Palin has zero foreign policy experience. Then again, the VP doesn't need foreign policy experience. I really hope the next president picks someone good to head up the state department.

Palin's policy, cleverly named "Drill! Drill! Drill!," is a good one. No reason to leave US oil resources in the ground for no reason.

She is a mom, and really has five kids. I don't know why you vote for her because of that, but to each their own.
+Quote Post
Dr Strum
post Sep 17 2008, 08:07 PM
Post #18

Palin's policy, cleverly named "Drill! Drill! Drill!," is a good one
I can only assume the location of this drilling is the Alaskan wilderness that they've been trying to open to drilling for years but has thankfully remained protected due to the large amount of endangered animals living in the area? No, that's not a good one if that's it.

Palin is a bitch, the only reason people want to vote for her is that she's a MILF.
-She fired someone when he refused to fire a state trooper that was in a divorce custody battle with her sister.
-She left the town she was mayor of before becoming governor $24 Million more in debt than when she got to it.

These points are, of course, ignoring more controversial issues such as her abortion stance. I shouldn't even have to bring those up when you see that she abuses her power and she bankrupts whatever she's in control of.

~~~
Писатель всегда будет в оппозиции к политике, пока сама политика будет в оппозиции к культуре.
+Quote Post
jcdietz03
post Sep 18 2008, 02:50 AM
Post #19

Time Waster

Abortion is more controversial but less important. I don't care about her abortion stance (or his). Or Obama's. A lot of people feel strongly about the issue, but that won't do anything to fix the problem. A constitutional amendment needs to be passed to move law on the issue and that will never happen so get used to pro-choice and stop trying to force your beliefs on others. Unless you can get a constitutional amendment. If you can, feel free to force your beliefs on others.

It's funny though. If a candidate when asked "What is your position on abortion" said "It doesn't matter. As president, I won't be able to do anything about the issue" then they would immediately be shot notwithstanding the fact that the statement is more or less true. Obama has said we should do more to make abortion safe, legal, and rare, but I highly doubt you will ever see legislation trying to achieve these goals. Obama has not introduced or supported a bill like this in the past. McCain has an excuse because the legislation he wants is not constitutional.

This post has been edited by jcdietz03: Sep 18 2008, 02:51 AM
+Quote Post
Dr Strum
post Sep 18 2008, 03:51 AM
Post #20

Despite your claim that abortion is less important than what I said, you devoted an entire post to it and failed to address what I said.

~~~
+Quote Post
jcdietz03
post Sep 18 2008, 02:42 PM
Post #21

Time Waster

Drilling: People are more important than animals. It's an ethics thing. If you think animals are more important that's fine, but it's not how I feel.
-She fired someone when he refused to fire a state trooper that was in a divorce custody battle with her sister.
True. Even worse, she initially said she would cooperate with an investigation into the matter but now says she will not cooperate. There is a reason for the change of stance, I'm just not sure what it is.
-She left the town she was mayor of before becoming governor $24 Million more in debt than when she got to it.
I didn't know about this. I do know that the Alaska state budget has ballooned during her term in office, but they are still in the black thanks to increased revenues from the soaring price of oil. A true conservative would not have done this - instead they would have grown government at a more modest pace and returned the money to the Alaskan people.
+Quote Post
Dr Strum
post Sep 18 2008, 05:39 PM
Post #22

Drilling: People are more important than animals

Well, I don't know what that has to do with drilling. People don't need to drill to survive.

And the reason Alaska is in money right now is because Congress approved some four hundred million to build a bridge and Palin decided not to build the bridge, but to definitely keep the money.

~~~
+Quote Post
jcdietz03
post Sep 18 2008, 11:37 PM
Post #23

Time Waster

On the drilling thing we'll just have to agree to disagree. What you said is correct, but I still think drilling is a good idea.

Did they really still get the $400M? Source please.
Alaska fiscal year 2009 budget is 13.6 billion. 400M is a small amount, about 3% of the budget.

90% of Alaska's money comes from oil taxes. Take a look at the following chart:
IPB Image
When Palin took office, oil was at about $63/bl. Now it's about $98/barrel. It stands to reason that funds available for spending increased by about 50% also... that's why Alaska's in the black.

Palin is in control on the spending side. Revenue has little to do with her actions and everything to do with the price of oil, which no one person is responsible for. With regard to spending, I think Palin is a "spend and don't tax" conservative, as opposed to the real conservatives in the past, who cut taxes and spending simultaneously. It seems irresponsible to continue such policies.
+Quote Post
Raijinili
post Sep 20 2008, 09:37 AM
Post #24

Lieutenant

Group: Gods
Member No.: 16

God, reading your posts is like reading the entire Internet. I just get angrier and I don't know why I would do it.

~~~
IPB Image
+Quote Post
jcdietz03
post Oct 10 2008, 11:57 PM
Post #25

Time Waster

Obama is winning. Note the recent upswing in the chart:
IPB Image
Realclearpolitics.com is non-partisan (I think).
Looks like Obama will win.

This post has been edited by jcdietz03: Oct 10 2008, 11:57 PM
+Quote Post
Dr Strum
post Oct 11 2008, 12:03 AM
Post #26

Three reasons why that poll does not say Obama will win:
A) Only a certain demographic takes part in political polls.
B) Political polls represent people, and presidents do not win on the popular vote.
C) They are no more than 6% apart.

If I could remember all the stuff from my polisci class I'd have another four reasons. But I can't.
I'm not voting this year. Obama is a douchebag just like McCain. Why does Firefox think Obama is a misspelled word but not McCain?

~~~
+Quote Post
Raijinili
post Oct 11 2008, 01:15 AM
Post #27

Lieutenant

Group: Gods
Member No.: 16

Because McCain is a goddamn American, you goddamn immigrant.

~~~
IPB Image
+Quote Post
jcdietz03
post Oct 11 2008, 03:18 AM
Post #28

Time Waster

QUOTE(Dr Sturm @ Oct 11 2008, 12:03 AM) *

A) Only a certain demographic takes part in political polls.
Which demographic is that?
QUOTE(Dr Sturm @ Oct 11 2008, 12:03 AM) *
B) Political polls represent people, and presidents do not win on the popular vote.
Some polls try to interview "likely voters." Other ones interview "registered voters." The LV polls I think are more accurate. In general, RV polls show democrats farther ahead than LV. You can check the list of polls they use in their chart on realclearpolitics.com. They use both RV and LV polls in their averaging which is a problem. They use mostly LV polls though.
Wait - I answered the wrong question.
% who would vote for [candidate] if the election were held today is a respected barometer of how well a candidate is doing. It is used in many news and polling organizations. Often, it is used together with an electoral map breakdown.
C) They are no more than 6% apart.
How the heck can I argue with this? I can't. Yes, opinion could move between now and election day which is 3.5 weeks away.
I'm not voting this year. Obama is a douchebag just like McCain.
I go to the polls just so I can vote against all the incumbents. By law, the incumbents must be listed as such on the ballot. The challengers need your vote! Fight the man!

Why does Firefox think Obama is a misspelled word but not McCain?
The Firefox people are conservatives. It's the only explanation.

Mostly I'm angry because the right wing talk show I listen to in the afternoon driving home from work has devolved into non-stop Obama bashing. You would think he's death incarnate listening to the show. I had to turn it off. It usually has interesting discussion, but I can't stand non-stop personal attacks. I hope the guy alienated many of his listeners. If you want to know, it's Jay Severin - 969wtkk.com The Obama bashing has reached fever pitch on talk radio.
+Quote Post
Dr Strum
post Oct 11 2008, 07:22 AM
Post #29

Which demographic is that?
Depends how the poll was done. If it was random sampling on the street, you only get the demographic that is willing to walk, willing to go outside, willing to talk to strangers, and willing to talk to strangers about a private issue such as politics - chances are these people are either extroverted, pro-exercise, lacking a car or good parking, and specific to a certain city (and cities do tend to swing in general). If it was a mail-in then you only get the most motivated of voters, the type that will go beyond voting to even protesting and lobbying, not to mention only of those that you actually sent it to. An online poll attracts mostly avid computer users.

Some polls try to interview "likely voters." Other ones interview "registered voters."
It doesn't matter what voters they interview. America does not elect its president based on the popular vote, so the percentages mean crap.

~~~
+Quote Post
Wally
post Oct 11 2008, 08:31 PM
Post #30

Talkative

Group: Arcs
Member No.: 47

QUOTE(Dr Sturm @ Oct 10 2008, 08:03 PM) *
Why does Firefox think Obama is a misspelled word but not McCain?

Because it's fucking delicious.
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th May 2024 - 06:41 AM