Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Favourite bands?
Dr Strum
post Feb 5 2006, 08:23 PM
Post #1

Can Lead the Nation with a Microphone

Group: Angels
Member No.: 1

What are your top five favourite bands? Preferably of all time, but if you're the type that likes whatever you listen to, your top five of the moment is fine too. A reason or favourite song would also be great.

1: Anathema (Best Song: A Dying Wish, Best Album: Serenades)
2: Social Distortion (Best Song: Prison Bound, Best Album: White Light, White Heat, White Trash)
3: Bad Religion (Best Song: Shattered Faith/I Want to Conquer The World, Best Album: The Process of Belief)
4: Avenged Sevenfold (Best Song: Second Heartbeat, Best Album: Waking the Fallen)
5: Anti-Flag (Best Song: Post-War Breakout, Best Album: The Terror State)

IT'S CHANGED, LOOK AT MY MOST RECENT POST THIS IS MOSTLY HERE FOR REFERENCE

~~~
Писатель всегда будет в оппозиции к политике, пока сама политика будет в оппозиции к культуре.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
P.P.A.
post Sep 29 2012, 07:19 PM
Post #2

Architect of the Great Wall of Text

Group: Naughty Children
Member No.: 121

• H.E.R.R.
    Neoclassical (and classy indeed) instrumentals accompanied by speech song, the emphasis on either “speech” or “song” swaying back and forth. Despite being a Dutch/British group, their lyrics are mostly English, and often themed after empires fallen or eras bygone—usually each album devotes itself to a certain such topic. This also reflects in the sound of a track: sometimes more elevated and majestic, sometimes tending towards marches or more archaic motifs.
    XII CAESARS (of which The Eagle Standard is my favourite track) for example sings of different Roman Emperors, and Winter of Constantinople's topic should be obvious. Alas, these often reveal the band's one big flaw: their pronunciation of Latin words is horrible. That this is the worst criticism I can muster speaks for their quality, though!
    Another good song, though its vocals are a bit more arrhythmic, is First Prince In Some Lower Court. (And Liberating Spirit, a collaboration with since-dissolved Von Thronstahl, is nothing short of amazing!)
  • Ianva
    Describing Ianva's style is difficult; neither could I fit them into any genre known to me. This Italian group's work perhaps resembles best old film music, with powerful vocals, and a certain grandiosity to them. Their two vocalists—both blessed with splendid voices—put a lot of emotion into the songs, which is further reminiscent of music around the turn of the century.
    I can only suggest listening into their excellent album Italia Ultimo Atto to get an impression of their rare, classy style.
  • Radiodervish
    …is another Italian group, though their singer is an Arab. This reflects their music too: their soothing and beautiful pieces mix Western/Italian, Near Eastern, and Persian elements; the lyrics are similarly sometimes Italian, sometimes English, sometimes Arabic. Soft violins sing alongside Nabil Salameh's gentle voice, carried, rather than driven, by subtle melodies.
    Beyond the Sea and Ave Maria are lovely (and lovely indeed) examples of their work, as is the album in search of Simurgh (Layla e majnun would be a good place to start).
  • Triarii
    A master of Martial Industrial and Neoclassical. His works are bombastic, awe-inducing—grand marches set to the sounds of war, majestic melodies commandeering blaring wind instruments and pounding drums. Triarii's works create an atmosphere of magnificent—almost oppressive—grandeur, they are threatening, overwhelming! That their æsthetics reference more often than not fascism and World War II is thus quite appropriate.
    His album Muse in Arms is a masterpiece, though also of note is Three Hours, a collaboration with Ordo Rosario Equilibrio. The instrumentals here are a little more subdued, but the latter artist's moody vocals add an entirely different flavour of sombreness.

The following ones I cannot quite praise as outstanding yet, but expect them to cement their status in the near future:
  • Rose Rovine e Amanti
    The third Italian on this list. I find it hard to say anything about him though; his style has changed a fair bit over the years (compare the early Aachen[I] to [i]Ave Maria), and while altogether good and still improving, I still find his songs a bit hit-and-miss. He shines in collaborations though, such as in Madre di Salvezza with…
  • Spreu & Weizen
    Spreu & Weizen excels at Martial Industrial/Neoclassical. Appropriate to their Catholic/Christian militarist motif, their pieces have a sense of ominousness to them, sometimes exalted, sometimes oppressive. Marching rhythms couple themselves with instrumentals tending towards bombast; just as often, chants or samples take the forefront, and the instrumentals create a looming atmosphere around them. Deus Lo Vult is exemplary of all this. On the other hand, songs like Lady in White or Gesänge Zur Nacht showcase a softer, more sensual side of theirs. My appreciation varies still from song to song, but their talent is obvious, and I eagerly await their next releases.
  • Strydwolf
    A Dutch neofolk group, who have formed relatively recently, and who have been releasing albums at quite a pace. Initially, this came at the price of originality—their melodies were unexciting, their lyrics generic, and the best songs (Van uit een nieuwe wereld, Night Cometh On) were those on which they collaborated with others, who were entirely to credit for any innovative sparks. But since then they have improved significantly, and seem to be finding their own style marked by great instrumentals (acoustic guitar, accordions, drums) and strong rhythms. This is very noticeable in their two most recent songs: Ontwaakt! and Zwarte lage Vlakten The assorted use of Dutch, German, Frisian, and English lends variety to the vocals.
Archetypical and musts for their genres:
  • Darkwood and Forseti
    Finest Neofolk, though probably uninteresting if you cannot understand the poetic German lyrics—all they are accompanied by is a well-tuned and melodic acoustic guitar, rarely a violin. Verlorenes Heer and Eismahd are great examples, respectively.
  • Wappenbund
    Martial Industrial par excellence. If I wanted to show someone what the genre sounds like, I would send them one of Wappenbund's exemplary works. Distorted samples, an impenetrable blend between clanging noise and harsh drums or synthetic organs, and where not directly the sounds, then definitely the atmosphere of gritty, industrial warfare—Heimat, Empor, or Die Fahne Hoch all embody the genre perfectly.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
Dr Sturm   Favourite bands?   Feb 5 2006, 08:23 PM
Marionette   ...I only have one. Better Than Ezra (Best Song: ...   Feb 5 2006, 10:26 PM
Rhiannon   [*]Cradle of Filth (Best Songs: Swansong For a Ra...   Feb 6 2006, 01:04 AM
Kohaku   I dislike the majority of 'mainstream' and...   Feb 6 2006, 01:57 AM
Mystic_Truhan   [*]Rammstein-Best Song: Ohne Dich [*]Metallica-Be...   Feb 6 2006, 02:25 AM
Dr Sturm   System of a Down's best song is Innervision. N...   Feb 6 2006, 02:27 AM
Mystic_Truhan   I don't listen to them much, though. I only li...   Feb 6 2006, 02:31 AM
valkan   Story of the Year Metallica Audio Karate Jet L...   Feb 6 2006, 03:10 AM
Dr Sturm   I said five; with a reason or favourite song/album...   Feb 6 2006, 03:16 AM
valkan   I like their music. That's reason enough.   Feb 6 2006, 03:18 AM
Dr Sturm   Then give a favourite song/album for each.   Feb 6 2006, 03:20 AM
valkan   That would take more work on my part. EDIT: ACTU...   Feb 6 2006, 03:27 AM
Dr Sturm   Yes, well, this thread was made purely for my poss...   Feb 6 2006, 03:30 AM
whoyodaddy   i agree almost completely with sturm but i would l...   Feb 6 2006, 11:15 PM
Chaos Seraph   Just now: Linkin Park System of a Down Disturbed T...   Feb 12 2006, 10:05 PM
blues 3   nintendo capcom ocremix.org sega (shrugs) .....tha...   Feb 17 2006, 01:54 PM
valkan   I guess you can go ahead and add Flyleaf to that l...   Feb 18 2006, 03:34 PM
Medical Meccanica   1: Mew (Best Songs: Wheels Over Me, Behind the Dra...   Feb 20 2006, 12:50 AM
Nanashi   1:Orange Range (Best song: Asterisk) 2.SeeSaw (bes...   Feb 20 2006, 02:31 AM
fensti   Hmm... lets see. I only have two as of right now, ...   Feb 20 2006, 02:04 PM
Rzul   1)Queen 2)Guns and Roses 3)Eagles and various japa...   Apr 7 2006, 07:24 PM
Ultimaninja   Barenaked Ladies 1. It's Only Me (The Wizard o...   Apr 7 2006, 11:01 PM
Endless   In no particular order: [*]Thrice Songs: Image of...   Apr 13 2006, 06:17 PM
fensti   Same as most of the others, that is, they are in r...   Apr 13 2006, 06:20 PM
lightningdude   1. Sanctus Real, obviously. (Alone, I'm Not Al...   Apr 15 2006, 06:02 AM
Chaos Seraph   Thrice? YAY. Anyway, current change... [*]Child...   May 27 2006, 11:31 AM
Nanashi   Change: Fall Out Boy Linkin Park System of a Down ...   Jun 14 2006, 07:44 PM
Shadow   1. Disturbed (Best songs: Decadence, I'm Alive...   Jun 15 2006, 12:33 AM
Chaos Seraph   Huge change...>_> Draconian - Where Lovers ...   Sep 19 2006, 09:21 PM
Dr Sturm   That's more than five and you provided no reas...   Sep 19 2006, 10:39 PM
Chaos Seraph   That's more than five and you provided no rea...   Sep 20 2006, 11:23 AM
Ultimaninja   Linkin Park (Nobodies Listening) Korn (Ya'll w...   Sep 19 2006, 10:45 PM
Rhiannon   I'D LIKE TO POST ABOUT CHANGES SINCE YOU KNOW,...   Oct 11 2006, 10:20 PM
Dr Sturm   I've decided to redo my list. Not too much has...   Oct 12 2006, 05:48 AM
Feral Phoenix   ...hmm... They're probably out of order, but ...   Mar 16 2007, 03:12 PM
Chaos Seraph   Oh balls, really need to redo this. Anathema [ind...   Mar 16 2007, 04:33 PM
Shadow   Let's see what my ears say now. 1.-Pink Floyd...   Mar 16 2007, 04:39 PM
Feral Phoenix   COMPLETING MY LIST: Natasha Bedingfield (Unwritte...   Mar 16 2007, 05:17 PM
Rzul   Update bitches, in no official order: My Chemical...   Mar 17 2007, 01:28 AM
Trinity Spark   Only picking five's gonna be hard, but let...   Mar 20 2007, 06:22 PM
Lord Rasler   AFI: Love like winter My Chemical Romance: Famous ...   Mar 20 2007, 06:27 PM
Tyros Arcainix   1. Red Jumpsuit Apparatus- False Pretense 2. Lin...   Mar 27 2007, 08:50 PM
Dr Sturm   Get out.   Mar 27 2007, 09:07 PM
Chaos Seraph   Can I start flaming other people's tastes too?   Mar 27 2007, 09:08 PM
Dr Sturm   No.   Mar 27 2007, 09:13 PM
Chaos Seraph   ):   Mar 27 2007, 09:22 PM
Tyros Arcainix   What's so bad about Bat Country? Even though i...   Mar 28 2007, 09:44 PM
Dr Sturm   They don't play it on the radio here. What...   Mar 28 2007, 09:48 PM
Tyros Arcainix   It's not THAT bad. I actually like it. :O   Mar 29 2007, 04:09 PM
Dr Sturm   ... Obviously you like it, or you wouldn't hav...   Mar 29 2007, 04:12 PM
San   My favourites are (by order): Red Hot Chili Pepper...   Aug 18 2007, 09:51 PM
Greifer   Revival yay!!+update In no particular or...   Feb 21 2008, 01:47 AM
Lucho   I remember this topic. Let's update: 1. Pink ...   Feb 21 2008, 11:27 AM
DustyHaru   No order: Foo Fighters - Pretender, Long Road to ...   Feb 21 2008, 08:16 PM
Greifer   Nothing wrong with Daft Punk. Not my favorite tho...   Feb 21 2008, 08:28 PM
Lord Rasler   Oh my god... The fucking shit I liked when I firs...   Feb 22 2008, 12:20 PM
Bass EX   Red Hot Chili Peppers: Higher Ground, City of Ange...   Feb 23 2008, 03:04 PM
Greifer   Megadeth: Washington is Next, A Tout Le Monde, Ha...   Feb 23 2008, 04:36 PM
Bass EX   Of those I only like Anathema and I deleted all th...   Feb 23 2008, 05:51 PM
Lucho   WHAT I DIDN'T KNOW THAT   Feb 23 2008, 06:00 PM
Bass EX   I told you.   Feb 23 2008, 06:26 PM
Lord Rasler   Thanks to Rhia, I have a unhealthy obsession for A...   Feb 23 2008, 11:25 PM
DustyHaru   Thanks to Rhia, I have a unhealthy obsession for ...   Feb 24 2008, 02:11 AM
Greifer   I'll display my current favorites (no particul...   Sep 2 2009, 08:43 PM
Hayashi Tenshi   I <3 Sound Horizon and Ali-Project.   Jan 21 2010, 05:44 AM
Rhiannon   Six years later, almost nothing is English. THE OR...   Sep 23 2012, 02:42 AM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th May 2024 - 08:56 AM