Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Wallpaper?
Epica
post Apr 19 2008, 10:07 AM
Post #1

Unregistered

I got bored this morning, so I thought I'd try and make something good enough for submission...

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n7/TheD...rawallpaper.png

Its crap, I know...><

Sorry for the Photobucket link, but Imageshack is an arse when it comes to uploading anything bigger than 500px x 500px for me...my computer is worthless. And Tinypic cuts quality horribly.

I might try making something Serene somewhen...I like her more than Cierra anyway. XD
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Irysa
post Apr 19 2008, 12:30 PM
Post #2

Towards some blank infinity

Group: Knights
Member No.: 65

Noise and lensflare are best used subtly.

And having too many images doesn't help either.

And the forefront Cierra art isn't high enough resolution to be used as a primary image.

And what's with the random planet?

This post has been edited by Irysa: Apr 19 2008, 12:31 PM

~~~
[13:27:43] [Sabator] peter would be the worst batman ever though. "turn on the bat-signal" "right!" *turns on huge foglight, beams an image of striped pantsu into the sky*
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
Shadow
post Apr 19 2008, 03:27 PM
Post #3

Aesthetic

Member No.: 46

I actually think it's pretty good.
+Quote Post
Astraea
post Apr 20 2008, 04:14 AM
Post #4

Unregistered

Oooh, this is a nice one...
Please make a Serene wallpaper.. I wanna see it XD
+Quote Post
Archeia
post Apr 20 2008, 05:16 AM
Post #5

(๑╹ω╹๑ )

Member No.: 1689

QUOTE(Lucho @ Apr 20 2008, 12:57 AM) *

I actually think it's pretty good.

I agree, I actually like it too :)
Except for the lettering's placement.

~~~
+Quote Post
Epica
post Apr 20 2008, 06:49 AM
Post #6

Unregistered

Noise and lensflare are best used subtly.

And having too many images doesn't help either.

And the forefront Cierra art isn't high enough resolution to be used as a primary image.

And what's with the random planet?

The noise + planet is actually the brush I used for the background...I agree with you about the lens flare, though. I used it to add some dimension to the planet, but since I covered it with the filmstrip, it doesn't really matter...so I might remove it.
That was the highest resolution I could find, and I didn't want to use the fanart I found ^^;
Thanks for the criticism, though =D

Except for the lettering's placement.

Where would you have it placed? I was thinking of having it at the bottom, but it seemed more appropriate to put it where I did ^^;

Thanks to everyone else for comments, as well. I'll try and make a presentable Serene wallpaper of similar style for contribution/viewing soon.
+Quote Post
aerozero
post Apr 20 2008, 09:02 AM
Post #7

Life Waster

Member No.: 363

It's very nice, I recommend either getting rid of the Cierra to the right and making the Cierra to the left a little bit more prominent or getting rid of the Cierra to the left and sharpening or increasing the resolution of the Cierra to the right.

~~~
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Epica
post Apr 20 2008, 02:17 PM
Post #8

Unregistered

I think I'll change the blending style of the left-hand pic, so it blends a little better into the background, and I might do away with the foreground pic entirely and replace it with another...if I do that, I might play around with the background a little more, as well...

Finished the Serene wallpaper a few minutes ago, as well:

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n7/TheD...newallpaper.jpg

I really don't want to play around with that one, since it took me the better part of the morning to recolour the pic on the right and I am, frankly, sick of the sight of it. XD

I didn't want an all-purple wallpaper, and the resolution for the other pic I had in mind wasn't high enough and I didn't want to play around with it. So I recoloured that. A little of the quality has gone...if its good enough, then I'll re-upload it saved as a JPEG or something...I might do the other artwork in a similar fashion as well, if I get the time...it was quite fun.

Feel free to start pelting me with sharp objects anytime now. XD
+Quote Post
Irysa
post Apr 20 2008, 05:16 PM
Post #9

I am going to stress again, too many images makes wallpaper bad.

The main focal point needs to be more prominent, but the level of interested in the background has to be maintained here. Your wallpapers look all over the place instead of having something clearly expressed.

It'll also help if you try to throw a proper theme in. Random textures for the background and filmstrips don't associate to Riviera characters.

EG:

Doin it rite

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y110/Litc...Wallpaper02.jpg

1 image of Samus. Everything else is a mechanical, minor DNAish sort of effect feel (suits Metroid).

Has a split to allow some variation in the center.

Doin it rong

http://sarge.wheresthebeef.co.uk/SGv2/Wall...dPrime%5D04.png

4 pictures of the game with no correlation and a black background. Nothing interesting.

The latter is what you're doing basically. And don't bullshit me you don't have the effects to do that. All it is is saturating and colorizing the main image, throwing a hexagonal filter that has a reverse radial blur, text with minor motion blur and a gradient to transparency.

The crosshair, I'm not ENTIRELY sure on though. The image would be just as good without it however.

This post has been edited by Irysa: Apr 20 2008, 05:34 PM

~~~
[13:27:43] [Sabator] peter would be the worst batman ever though. "turn on the bat-signal" "right!" *turns on huge foglight, beams an image of striped pantsu into the sky*
+Quote Post
Epica
post Apr 20 2008, 06:27 PM
Post #10

Unregistered

Irysa, you're quite the critic. I might be doing it badly, and I might not be doing it the way you like it, but that does NOT mean I am doing it wrong. Everyone has their own style. That happens to be mine.

Still, I can take the hint. I'll stop trying now.
+Quote Post
Shadow
post Apr 20 2008, 06:27 PM
Post #11

Aesthetic

Don't talk like you were stating facts, Irysa.
There's people who actually like a Wallpaper when it has many images.
+Quote Post
Irysa
post Apr 20 2008, 07:41 PM
Post #12

Geez, I'm giving constructive criticism here. CONSTRUCTIVE. I'm providing examples, and detailing how to improve.

And you think I'm telling you to quit.

You shouldn't be even trying if you're expecting everyone to go OMG AWESOME.

Then you have some fucked up preferences, as anything with more than 3 is a total mess. Wallpapers aren't made to look at in detail, they're made to take in as a whole.

And you deny that my examples aren't accurate in their presentation of what one is better?

You don't SERIOUSLY think that the latter one is the superior wallpaper, do you?

Give me 5 examples of good wallpaper where there are more than 5 images, and I will eat my hat.

Oh and, lastly

Everyone has their own style. That happens to be mine.
Do not not not not not not not not not not not fucking try to justify off incompetence with a "uniqueness" card.

Your style is the style of someone who's new to it. And guess what, there is nothing wrong with being new. There is something wrong with making something new, making a decent attempt at it, and then having the gall to think it's good enough to make criticism apparently a personal attack.

This is EXACTLY how I progressed when I first started doing graphics. Throw 3 images on a generic banner with a random photoshop texture + filter + words. Repeatxzillion times, got praise from a majority, and got miffed when people who actually had experience started giving better advice. Eventually, I hit the point where I realised they were entirely right all along, went with it for a while, then quit due to realising the effort in actually making good shit is something I can't be bothered with.

This post has been edited by Irysa: Apr 20 2008, 07:59 PM

~~~
+Quote Post
Shadow
post Apr 20 2008, 08:31 PM
Post #13

Aesthetic

QUOTE(Irysa @ Apr 20 2008, 04:41 PM) *

Then you have some fucked up preferences, as anything with more than 3 is a total mess. Wallpapers aren't made to look at in detail, they're made to take in as a whole.

And you deny that my examples aren't accurate in their presentation of what one is better?

You don't SERIOUSLY think that the latter one is the superior wallpaper, do you?

Give me 5 examples of good wallpaper where there are more than 5 images, and I will eat my hat.

I don't need to give you any example. I'm saying that not every wallpaper with more than five images is bad. That's your taste. And if in your opinion my tastes are fucked up, then so are yours for me.
+Quote Post
Irysa
post Apr 20 2008, 08:59 PM
Post #14

Congratulations, you've hit the new low on argumentative techniques.

"It's my opinion" is the biggest bull you can pull. (hurr it rhymes) Guess what? Even if it is, that doesn't mean it's irrefutable. And if you have the balls to say "not every wallpaper with lots of images is bad" then go ahead and prove me wrong. Give me examples. Otherwise what you say is worthless.

And thanks for ignoring at least 50% of my post.

This post has been edited by Irysa: Apr 20 2008, 09:09 PM

~~~
+Quote Post
Dr Strum
post Apr 20 2008, 09:01 PM
Post #15

Can Lead the Nation with a Microphone

Group: Angels
Member No.: 1

Asaph. Shut up, now.

~~~
Писатель всегда будет в оппозиции к политике, пока сама политика будет в оппозиции к культуре.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th May 2024 - 04:14 AM