Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Best of 2007
Rhiannon
post Jan 11 2008, 07:01 PM
Post #1

I'm really moved by the chicken bone

Group: Gods
Member No.: 4

So, what are the best books that you read in 2007? It doesn't have to be a book that came out in that year, it just has to be a book that you read that year.

I'm trying to remember when I read a certain book, so I'll post mine later.

OH AND IT'S ALWAYS COOL IF YOU TELL US WHY YOU THINK IT'S GOOD THOUGH I DON'T MIND IF YOU DON'T

~~~
IPB Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
DustyHaru
post Jan 12 2008, 08:20 PM
Post #2

Check Length

Group: Knights
Member No.: 1632

Adventures of Huckleberry Finn - It's required reading for EngRish so I read it. My favorite quote is:
QUOTE("Huck")
Then pretty soon Shepburn sort of laughed; not the pleasant kind, but the kind that makes you feel like when you are eating bread that's got sand in it

Not sure why I think it's funny but I like it

A Swiftly Tilting Planet - I've read a lot of Madeleine L'Engle's books and this one is my favorite, with its mix of sci-fi and fantasy. This is most likely the 7th time I've read it...ha, tesseract

Illium (by Dan Simmons)- Sci-Fi/Fantasy, Main character is a Genetically Reconstructed human (who was once a History Teacher on the "Illiad") and in the service of the Olympian 'Gods' to make sure that History is going as planned (It is an exact reconstruction by the quantum-distorting gods). He messes with the events of the Illiad and ends up turning the Trojans and invading Greeks against the 'Gods.' At the end of the novel he discovers that events taking palce are on a terra-formed Mars. (The heroes of the "illiad" are genetically-enhanced humans, due to the Intercession between humans and 'gods'; Zeus alsmot nukes everyone and Ares gets his intestines ripped out by Achilles). Meanwhile on Earth, 'post-humans' are relatively inept people (as they do not read or write, anymore), and live until they are exactly 100. Each time they reach a year that is a multiple of 20, (ie. 20, 40, 60, 80) they are sent up to the "rings" and retruned as their 20-year old self; at 100 they do not return. When a small group of them try and discover why, their robotic servants turn on them and try to kill them. Meanwhile (again) small androids/robots from the outer planets of the solar system try to discoverwhy there are so many quantum anomalies in the last couple centuries, (due to the activity on Mars and Earth; Mars mostly as the Gods make use of Quantum Teleportation etc.)

Olympos (by Dan Simmons) - Sequel to the Above. Main character continues his fight against the 'Gods.' Meanwhile, the gods fight amongst themselves and about half of them are killed in the unsuing fight. (Hera is blasted into smithereens by Zeus, her scorched body parts literally fall out of the sky; Thetis is shot through the heart; Posieden is thrown into Tartarus by Zeus; Apollo gets a lobotomy via spearhit). All three points of the previous stories come together (androids, post humans and humans of Mars). Zeus gets killed by Achilles; (Since Achilles can only die to exact circumstances, he is invicible otherwise) Achilles Impales Zeus on Odysseus' Bed- post, decapitates him, and feeds his still-living intestines to Odysseus' Dog. Great stuff eh?

-Dusty

EDIT: I highly discourage people from reading those last two books as they contain explicit material...Hell, go read it if you want, what am i saying?

EDIT2: yes I meant to type "EngRish" as it is one of the most boring classes I have.

This post has been edited by DustyHaru: Jan 12 2008, 08:30 PM
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th June 2024 - 09:26 PM