Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dismantling Devotion
Lacrima Castle > Technology and Entertainment > Entertainment - Other Forms > Music
Dr Strum
I know most of you will ignore this thread, because you all hate Doom and Melodic Death metal. :(
But I'm posting anyways, disregarding the above, and the fact that I'm about three months late getting this album.
Anyways, Daylight Dies released their second full length album Dismantling Devotion back in March, and, having finally heard it, I was compelled to post about it.
Owning thier first album, No Reply, and enjoying it, I picked it up. Thinking it would be like their first, where I would only be able to identify one song from the album, I was not expecting more than to find a single awesome song, and several great but indistinguishable songs, but I was pleasantly surprised.
I listened through it, and found it, surprisingly, much smoother and more snaguine than their debut. The replacement vocalist (Nathan Ellis) and new guitarist (Charley Shackelford) are great. One thing that bothered me at first, was that Nathan's clean vocals are vaguely reminiscent of Opeth's clean vocals, and I can't stand Opeth. Thankfully, he has a little more emotion, and a little less whine in his voice. The extra guitar is most likely the reason for the declined roughness of the actual music, and, while I didn't mind the guttural melodies of the first album, this is a very welcome change.
For structure, most of the songs themselves are relatively similarly written, with it following a four-section pattern (verse, bridge, verse, closing). It seems rather dull when categorized, but most things do, of course. In retaining general structure, they've also, sadly, kept the same general lyrical content. Still few of the songs' lyrics are clear and comprehendable. But, these aren't the kind of songs you sing along to, and Doom lyrics are almost always intended to be more poetic, so I suppose it is okay, but it's still something that bothers me.
That last paragraph is kind of a downer on the album. I really do enjoy this album, and really think it should be checked out, even if it's not the kind of thing you listen to.
Now for the links.

Previews:Dismantling Devotion on iTunes
Official Daylight Dies website
Irysa
I don't hate it.

And from what I've heard of from those samples, thats really great stuff. I'll see about getting some. =D
Irysa
I finally bought Dismantling Devotion. I'm giving it a listen now.

Yes. Bought.

I'll regurgitate what I said on IRC.

The overall sound of this album reminds me somewhat of Swallow the Sun's material, except this is a lot more energetic and faster paced ( notably on the solos too ). Usually, I wouldn't expect such to fit with a Doom connected band, but I'm very much surprised and pleased by this.

Top stuff so far.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.