Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NINTENDO FILES A PATENT
Lacrima Castle > Technology and Entertainment > Computeralogical Stuff
valkan
Here is an article on IGN detailing this....devious practice.

The patent was originally filed November 28, 2000, but wasn't finalized until June 6, 2006. It's possible the technology was originally intended for the N64, but the language of the filing could pertain to any system since no particular console is ever named. So something like the picture above is probably meant to illustrate the type of console the messaging system could work with. Still, the point remains: mind-boggling.

Nintendo further details a buddy list, similar to Xbox Live, that lets you peek into what your friends are doing/playing/eating/thinking. Mention is also made of voice chat, which reminds us of rumors that the Wii controller may contain a microphone.

THE IMAGE IN QUESTION

But it's the end of the article that asks the most exciting questions:

Interestingly, the patent goes to great trouble to describe the messaging service working with portable game systems, as well as working within a device which emulates other game systems. While the patent never mentions the Wii, the DS, or the Wii's virtual console, it's tough not to guess these are just what are intended.

Will we be sending messages and chatting during games of Bonk's Adventure? Or more impressively, does this mean a DS user on the go could text- or voice-chat with a friend at home playing Wii? What about DS-to-DS communication? Nintendo seems to have wide ambitions here, and the possibilites are striking.

Thoughts?
lightningdude
Wow, they filed originally in 2000? I am pretty excited. This is gonna be awesome.
chrishawke
Expanding video game experience.

Sounds nice.
Enzd
That image made me giggle.

But that sounds really cool. I was expecting possible DS to Wii compatibility.
fensti
Awesome.

Now I wish to see if they will use it with the Wii.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.