Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Lacrima Castle > Technology and Entertainment > Entertainment - Other Forms > Anime and Manga
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Rosetta
Three episodes out so far. It's decently funny. torrentspy has them, if you wish to take a look.

Edit: I just realized my topic title has a typo in it. it's supposed to be OF, not og.
chrishawke
This anime hits the spot.

It's basically about the life through the eyes of a high-school man named Kyon. He meets a very peculiar yet beautful female colleague, Haruhi Suzumiya, who's bent on the subject of aliens, espers, time travelers and the sort. Other characters include Mikuru Asahina, Yuki Nagato, Itsuki Koizumi, all who appears in the very first episode.

user posted imageuser posted image

More information can be found here.
Dr Strum
Oh god. I finally got around to watching the first episode (I'll watch the other two tomorrow).
Fucking hilarious. I'm still laughing at it. Oh it was great...
Dr Strum
Just watched the fourth episode... Very confused.

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «
chrishawke
The next episode will return to where episode three left off.

Maybe this will clear things up.

Maybe.
Dr Strum
Maybe we'll find out

Endless
Definitely weird. The confusion of seemingly missing episodes has certainly piqued my interest. Part of me hopes the next episode won't explain anything, just to make it all the weirder. I like weird anime.
Dr Strum
Thinking about it, this is probably a motif they plan to carry in the series.
Notice the title of the episode, and how it's a sudden jump in the storyline, like the creators didn't want to do the next few, set-up episodes.
Raijinili
If you haven't figured it out yet, chronologically, episode 2 is first, then 3, 5, 4, and finally 1.

Spoiler of the basic plot that you may or may not have figured out by the third episode:

Actually, I only know a LITTLE bit more than the people who watched epis 1-4. All I did was read another version of the 2nd episode introduction.

Another thing you may or may not have figured out about the role Itsuki plays in the SOS Dan.

Actually, there are MULTIPLE volumes of the adventures of SOS Dan, including the Sighs of Suzumiya Haruhi and the Boredom of Suzumiya Haruhi.
chrishawke
Kyon gets lectured... 3 TIMES.
Endless
Episode five had more explanation then I thought it would. It seems that things are taking a turn for the weird, which makes me like this series even more.
Dr Strum
PENALTY
blues
episode 5 is up
chrishawke
That should be obvious, with the recent activity in the last couple of days.

I heard some time ago that the manga actually skipped around like in the anime when it skipped between episodes 3 and 4. Whether or not it will continue to jump around I do not know.
chrishawke
Scratch that. I've received confirmation that the order we will see the episodes will not be the order in which the events of the story take place.

Other information I dug up: anime is slated for a 13 or 14 episode run. The latest manga Suzumiya Haruhi no Fungai (Japanese), or The Indignation of Suzumiya Haruhi is up for imports.
blues
The episodes are already out of order, and where did you get this info?
chrishawke
From my sources.
blues
fine then.
chrishawke
SO BLUES

Who's your favorite character?
blues
Kyon, his expressions are awesome. You?
chrishawke
That should be obvious.

Take a good look at my avatar!
blues
I thought that was her, but I couldn't quite tell. I didn't want to make an assumption.
Raijinili
The story is originally from the novels, which WERE in order.

Also, I had to keep pausing episode 5 to get all of the words, and I STILL don't know what Nagato's talking about. Awesome.

Episode 5 spoilers for the rest of this post!
Note that this is all translated, and I can't guarantee the accuracy of a.f.k.'s translation.

From the perspective of the Data Integration Thought Entity, the third planet of this solar system at the edge of the Milky Way held no significant merit.  However, Earth, as it is called by its present inhabitant life forms, was home to the evolution of bipedal organic life forms whom (sic) developed cognitive ability which could be considered intelligence, and consequently, this planet grew in significance.  Perhaps, they possessed the potential to break free of the cul-de-sac of autoevolution into which they have fallen.

The emergence of self-awareness among the universe's maldistributed organic life forms was a common phenomenon; however, Terrestrial humans were the first instance of evolution to a higher order of intelligence.  The Integration Thought Entity carefully continuted thorough observation.  And three years ago. (sic?) We observed a data flare unlike any other witnessed on this planet.  An explosion of data erupting from a region of a bow-shaped archipelago instantly shrouded the planet and diffused into outer space.  At its center was Haruhi Suzumiya.

Over the past three years, a number of inquiries have been performed examining the existence known as Haruhi Suzumiya from all perspectives... However, her true identity remains unknown.  Regardless, a sector of the Integration Thought Entity believes that for humanity, and furthermore, us data life forms, Haruhi is the key to our autoevolution, and have thus commenced analysis accordingly.  They, as data life forms, are unable to directly communicate with organic life forms. (sic?)  For they possess no language.  Humans lack the means to transmit ideas without words.  That is why human-purpose interfaces such as myself were created.  The Data Integration Thought Entity is able to come in contact with humans through me.

Data Integration Thought Entity
Born from the sea of data which covers the entire universe
Data life forms possessing no physical body but high levels of intelligence
Existing since the creation of the universe
Magnifies in accord with the expansion of the universe
Possesses no tangible mass
Exists only as data
Impossible to observe through any form of optical measures

The Data Integration Thought Entity held interest in the life forms categorized as humans which occur on Earth

When humans began as imperfect organic life forms, they achieved a rapid rate of autoevolution
They increased their capacity for data retention, while creating, processing, and storing new data

Haruhi Suzumiya

Unexplainable explotion of data

Impossible to analyze

Humans should only be able to handle a limited amount of information

yet a single one of those Terrestrial humans

Intermittent torrents of data

occur randomly

Furthermore

Haruhi Suzumiya herself is unaware of this
Dr Strum
Just watched the sixth episode. Good good.

But, I still can't decide on a favourite character.
Endless
Not a bad episode, but I guess I was expecting a little more. There didn't seem to be quite as many humorous scenes and it wasn't quite as strange as the last episode (which I guess is to be expected).

Potential episode 6 spoilers.
Dr Strum
Episode six seemed so very long.
lilcases
Is everyone watching it on DVD or are you downloading it? If you are downloading it them can you make a link where to download it?
chrishawke
Bittorrent files where you can find it.

http://a.scarywater.net/afk/
lilcases
Thankyou!
Greifer
sweet! this anime rules.
lilcases
Do you need to download a certainsoftware, because it says it can't open, because it can't find the place where it was created or something.
Dr Strum
You need a Bittorrent client.
chrishawke
Yuki is one sly megako.

Next episode: Remote Island Syndrome (Part Two).
Dr Strum
Awesome episode.
chrishawke
Dr Strum
Yes, he is much cooler now...
Endless
Great episode. I'm glad that Itsuki finally did something. Now I really want to see that world cramping mentioned some time back.
chrishawke
If anyone's interested, you can read the translated novels of Suzumiya Haruhi in here. Not all of the books are translated, however.

I might also add that reading some of these (especially the first volumn as of this point) may spoil you if you'd rather watch the anime first.
Dr Strum
ARRNNNN

Oh well.
*bookmarks for later*
Raijinili
Reading the prologue, for example, gives you hints that would spoil episode... where Itsuki comes in.

So it's not as simple as reading only the chapters that you've already seen.
chrishawke
Manga for Suzumiya Haruhi is now available for download through IRC.

Two chapters are already translated and being distributed. Click here for more information.
Raijinili
Of COURSE there'd be a manga.
chrishawke
Greifer
hahaha..that's funny.
Pheonix Wright...sweet.
Dr Strum
God, all the PW references...

Hylarious.
Raijinili
I wonder if Mari watches.
Endless
Unsurprisingly, my theory from two episodes back was correct.

But I guess, all things considered, it wasn't that surprising of a theory to begin with.
Marionette
OBJECTION.

That is all.
Greifer
Yes...Phoenix Wright is awesome and all...but I have a question fo you all:

Who/what do you think that shadow was that Kyon saw? Kozumi-kun said it wasn't him, and that he no reason to lie anymore. So I just want to know what you guys think it was.
chrishawke
A relaxing episode today.

I just figured out something regarding the previews just recently. Remember whenever Haruhi calls out the next episode, and Kyon cuts in and corrects episode's number? Kyon numbers the episodes in the order in which they were aired. Haruhi, in the other hand, numbers them in the chronological order in which the events took place.

So, in fact, the episode today was

The next episode is actually episode four, the fourth of the seven episodes that are essential to the core story of The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi.

That also means, all of the other episodes we watched weren't affiliated with the real story. But at least they were entertaining.

And on another note, the latter seven half of the anime were deprived from other books asides The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi, such as The Boredom of Suzumiya Haruhi and The Trembling of Suzumiya Haruhi.

I have more to rant on, but I think I'll end it here, since ranting on would probably only bore people to death.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.