Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Testarotho
Lacrima Castle > Technology and Entertainment > Entertainment - Other Forms > Anime and Manga
valkan
So I was in my local Walden Books a couple of days ago, picking up volume's one and two of Trigun Maximum, when this peculiar manga caught my eye.

Often times, what I'll do is pick up a new manga I've never heard of that seems to slip underneath the public radar. (I've had a few successes as well as many failures when I do this though) It was shrinkwrapped, meaning the sexual and violent content therein would be too graphic for the youngins'. "What Luck!" I exclaimed (Yes I really did), and took the first two volumes home.(I flipped through the first volume, which was convieniently not shrinkwrapped and it looked interesting enough).

But what a purchase!

user posted image

Testarotho is set in the backdrop of a fictional continent called Elysia, with it's main characters all belonging to an inquisition arm of a (again fictional) religious organization called Arsenal.

The story is looked through the eyes of two characters, Capria and Leonedus. Capria, a rookie nun with a heart of gold, is assigned to Garrincha's (one of the inquisitors) group it is here that she meets Leonedus, a chillingly cold blooded-killer who totes a massive gun. Through both of them, you see the chaos that surrounds the world.

Capria is young and cheerful. You just love her so much you wanna strangle her! XD You just know she's gonna bring some kind of peace to this crazy world of theirs! She's not hard to figure out at all. After all, you've seen her before in many anime's and videogames as the innocent peace loving heroin that somehow softens the male lead and brings global calamity to a halt. So that's about all I say about her.

Leonedus on the other hand is quite different. Within the first few pages of seeing him, you just know he's thrown away all of his emotions for his belief's and loyalty. (You've seen that before too, Just not in a main character.) SUSPICIOUNS WERE CONFIRMED IN THE LATER CHAPTERS BY THE WAY. His character is a tragic one, as highlighted in the later chapters when he faces a former friend.

Becuase of the unique placement of the characters, and the plot, the author forces you to empathize with them, despite the dispicable work they do. HOWEVER, at the same time, you empathize with the ones they fight against. I've seen this plot device used before in other stories, but never to this extent, or anywhere near as good. Once you see the simularities between Arsen teachings and the 'hertical' teachings of the ones they kill, you as the reader realize how petty and nonsensical what they do is.

The art style Sanbe uses is a little crude by my standards, but it works appropriately for the gruesome action scenes and violence. The nudity is inappropriately placed. Most of it is unnecessary hooks to rope in imaginary fears that the creators would find amoungst it's target audience. I find myself believing without a doubt that it was simply through the development of the manga-ka to catch the attention of boys who wouldn't get it's preachy story.

The character design is above average at best. I like the design of Leonedus, his face is rough and stubble like, with a single monicle to help him see. His robes are long and black, with an almost heavy look to them. It's as if the weight of the robes and his gun he carries is an extended metaphor for the excess weight and emotional baggage he carries with him. Despite all he does, I like him.

CMX has really come through with this. I was hesitant at first because of their evil mistreatment of the first few volumes of Tenjo Tenge, but they seemed to have improved quite a bit. Bravo.

Overall, Testarotho is a pretty entertaining manga. The first volume really roped me in, but the second volume completely absorbed me.

Pros - Good Story, nice translation, Leonedus :D, action.

Cons - The character design, unnecessary nudity

Final Verdict 8.5 for Testarotho.

Go get it.
Raijinili
*monocle
regruBgniK
Nudity? >.> You've got my attention~

~regruBgniK
ChefMKT
Nudity? O.o;
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.