Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The creative process...
Lacrima Castle > Technology and Entertainment > Fiction
valkan
Everyone goes about doing it a different way. Usually if I wanna write a new fanfic chapter, I'll play a game or watch an anime over and over again.

.....That was when I CREATED my stories. To get new chapters out of that.....I tend to read alot of books and other fanfics until I become inspired to create something of my own.

How do you do it?
Dr Strum
Do you mean what we do to get new ideas to write about?
valkan
Pretty much. It should be interesting at least.
Dr Strum
I really don't do anything to try and get new ideas to write about.
I just write when an idea hits me.
Rhiannon
I just listen to music and think until something comes. Either that or I don't even try, and the ideas just come by themselves eventually.

I don't have to do anything special to give me ideas for new chapters or simply continuations of something already started, though. Since I usually have every single event laid out by the time I actually start writing...
valkan
I'm more of a 'write as you go' type....

That is after I get a general idea, then I just let the story write itself.
Swifty-chan
Hmm... pictures can inspire me to write sometimes. But I get most of my inspiration from reading, listening to music, playing games etc.etc.

OR

They just popped out of nowhere.

'Ashes to Ashes' is actually inspired by Blu Rose's PB/Disgaea fic.
Leyviur
When I get an idea, I formulate it in my head.

First, chain of events. Then, how I want to write it. Then, what words I want to use (because using the same words over and over creates a boring atmosphere and a story that isn't dynamic enough).

Once I have these in place, I write the fic, reading it over to make sure there isn't too much monotony and repetitiveness that may make it sound awkward or boring. I do this for pretty much everything I write.

Then, I leave it alone for a day and come back to it to make any last minute adjustments.
Megaolix
When I get a good idea, I want first to make sure to be able to finish it. I always want to have a full storyline in my mind so I don't have to stop because I don't know what to add next.

After, the rest just come randomly in my mind. When it's good, I add it, or I develop it to be better.
Swifty-chan
QUOTE (Leyviur @ Mar 6 2006, 08:10 PM)
First, chain of events. Then, how I want to write it. Then, what words I want to use (because using the same words over and over creates a boring atmosphere and a story that isn't dynamic enough).

Ditto that. I tend to fuss too much on the descriptions and words. I'm always worried that my story would get boring, or the words I used ain't fancy enough etc.etc.

Thesaurus is my best friend~ ^^

Usually, I'd scribble my ideas in my notebook/blank paper(using point form).

Ahh, yes. My dreams gives me ideas too. I remember there was one about a captain and his plane... X3
Medical Meccanica
A lot of my stories are random, script, bad attempts at humor. For those, it's usually me randomly jumping around a room for no reason.
For actual, serious stories, I usually get ideas from a song, or from video games and anime. In one original story I'm writing, I'm planning to incorporate angels because of Riviera, the anime Haibane Renmei, and the song 'Chop Suey'. The story already had a somewhat religious vibe to it anyways...
Raijinili
I agonize over the first sentence, then the first word, and never get anything done.

Or if I start in the middle, or somehow end up there anyway, I write half a sentence, forget what I'm doing, then sit there for ten to twentr minutes and "try" to "remember" what I'm doing by doing something else.

As for creative thoughts in general, I SOMETIMES write down what great idea I thought of, and usually never get interested enough again to expand on it.

Sometimes I do, though. That's when THIS happens:
http://edos.siteburg.com/secret_pages.php?n=10

Yes, an error. But if that page wasn't error'd, you would see months of work. AKA two topics posted by me, and I think four by others. Another failed endeavor.
valkan
QUOTE (Swifty-chan @ Mar 6 2006, 07:06 AM)
QUOTE (Leyviur @ Mar 6 2006, 08:10 PM)

Ditto that. I tend to fuss too much on the descriptions and words. I'm always worried that my story would get boring, or the words I used ain't fancy enough etc.etc.

Thesaurus is my best friend~ ^^

Usually, I'd scribble my ideas in my notebook/blank paper(using point form).

Ahh, yes. My dreams gives me ideas too. I remember there was one about a captain and his plane... X3

Dreams are also a major influence on my stories.
Megaolix
I'm not a big fan of making descriptions myself... I can give a general description, but a precise one...

I find my ideas when I'm bored. My mind wanders, and then I think of something that could be interesting.

The problems come after, when I want a full scenario before writing it. That's when my imagination fails me most of the time...
Feral Phoenix
I don't really have any specific process; I get ideas at night when I'm waiting to fall asleep, then I stew over them and get some details planned out, though sometimes I don't know what's going to happen at certain points in a story when I begin it.

For example, I had no idea what the end of Kokoro no Hanashi was going to be when I started writing it... and even now, I have almost NO idea what Saigo no Hanashi is going to be like.

Lucky I'm writing KnH so slowly or I'd be in real trouble.

When I'm not in the mood to write, I can't write unless I make myself, and then, the descriptions seem really forced. Some things, like lemons and fight scenes, have to be written all at once or they turn out weird-sounding. Sometimes, I'll leave a story lying around for months before I pick it up again. And then I'll be all like "INSPIRATION!" and rush back to it. XD

I'll get inspired by things that seem to have the same mood of the story or ideas I'd like to include. And a lot of my fics, like my recent addition "Come Down", don't come from be but from something beyond me... that one came to me almost as it's written in a DREAM. A very very lucid dream.

When I write, I like to have music on in the background... I tend to put stuff that holds the mood on repeat and listen to the same song(s) OVER AND OVER AND OVER. I stop really "listening" after a while and just "hear", which is when it becomes inspiring.

And usually I've got something else lined up once I'm done with a fic.

Like the Ein/Malice one, "The Tainted", I'm going to start once "Jugement de Ciel" is finished. XD

Wow... that was really long...
lightningdude
I'm currently in the making of a fic, and I'd have to say that I use some things from my past or my everyday life to get inspiration.

I can usually start typing or writing and the ideas pour forth...I did that kind of stuff in my essays for school, too. I get involved in what I write. Kinda like, omg, what's gonna happen next? but then i'm like, oh yeah, i'm writing it, duh. I also dish ideas off friends, like asking them what I should do next.

I guess what i mean to say is that I find inspiration in a whole lot of different places, most of it just comes to me as I sit down to write.
Feral Phoenix
There's no right way, really. :D
Endless
I don't do too many fanfics, I prefer to come up with my own stories. My process is to come up with a main character; basic personality, appearance, basic background, and name. The name is always the hardest part. After I get the main character down I kind of let them dwell inside my subconscious. Every time I'm bored or want to get my mine off what I've doing, I ask him/her random questions.

"What would you do in such and such situation?"
"Why is your personality like that?"
"What was your childhood like?"

Stuff like that. Overtime they become more developed. Then I come up with a basic plot by borrowing ideas from anime, games, books, music, dreams, or just about anything. I throw that character into that plot and just see what happens. After the story is complete, I start writing.

QUOTE ("Raijinili")
I agonize over the first sentence, then the first word, and never get anything done.

Yeah, that's the reason I haven't written anything in ages...
valkan
I write original stories for myself.

Not for others.
Feral Phoenix
My more-original stuff usually doesn't get as much attention as my fanfics do.

But then again, everyone's been ignoring Jugement du Ciel ever since I posted it, so... yeah. I worked really hard on that fanfic... *tear*
valkan
Awww.

I read it Feral!
Megaolix
Satisfaction can be such a motivation.

When I post something new, I can't wait to read the first review. Then, I fell great when more good reviews come.

When I read the reviews, I feel great. This motivates me to write more as soon as possible.

In fact, I can't wait for school to end for me so I can get to work on some ideas.
lightningdude
I keep hitting blocks as of late. I just go a few days without adding to my fic, then I will write a bunch, then I will go another few days. Thankfully my fic is almost done.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.