Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How do I pronounce "Aegina"?
Lacrima Castle > Sting Games > Yggdra Union
Raijinili
I started thinking today about how Aegina's name is pronounced. Welll, that's it.

So here's the question, LCN. How do I pronounce "Aegina"?
Raijinili
"Ee-jee-na". Topic over.
DustyHaru
I did a doubletake because I thought I was in the raidex.
Then I realized I was.
Knightman
QUOTE(Raijinili @ Oct 3 2009, 05:15 PM) *

"Ee-jee-na". Topic over.

Isn't more easy to say "Ae-jeena",I mean, the pronunciation is almost different, this happens with Yggdra's name too
Dr Strum
The island's name is generally pronounced /eʝina/, so, since we pronounce Yggdra based on the pronunciation of Yggdrasil, that's what I've been going with.
Miki Trie'
Err...... characters in the game say " I-gee-na" ( Long 'I' tough 'g') That's what I say...... up too you guys though.
Hayashi Tenshi
It is I-GEE-NAH!
The katakana spells, Ai-Gi-Na which pronounced- I-GEE-NAH.
Also in the PSP voice acting, they pronounce it that way.
Dr Strum
Okay, you're being misleading. Before i/e, g is generally pronounced /ʤ/ in English, as in "generous." Are you saying that? Because if you are then you're reading the katakana wrong. It would be a voiced k as in "get" or "gain." Also, considering the katakana has Yggdra's name as YU-GU-DO-RA, we can't go off of that for pronunciation.
Hayashi Tenshi
QUOTE(Dr Sturm @ Nov 25 2009, 09:03 AM) *

Okay, you're being misleading. Before i/e, g is generally pronounced /ʤ/ in English, as in "generous." Are you saying that? Because if you are then you're reading the katakana wrong. It would be a voiced k as in "get" or "gain." Also, considering the katakana has Yggdra's name as YU-GU-DO-RA, we can't go off of that for pronunciation.

I meant that the "g" is being pronounced like gh... like in "get" as you said. Sometimes the japanese have no way of pronouncing the real word so they have to like somehow say it with their own alphabet such as for example the name Christine, it would be KU-RI-SU-TI-N
Rhiannon
Nah, they're crazy. If they always went by that then Yggdra would be "I-GU-DO-RA." And Ishiene sure wouldn't have a "nu" as the last syllable in her name.
Dr Strum
QUOTE(Hayashi Tenshi @ Nov 25 2009, 02:32 PM) *

QUOTE(Dr Sturm @ Nov 25 2009, 09:03 AM) *

I meant that the "g" is being pronounced like gh... like in "get" as you said. Sometimes the japanese have no way of pronouncing the real word so they have to like somehow say it with their own alphabet such as for example the name Christine, it would be KU-RI-SU-TI-N

That was my exact point. The Japanese pronunciations (when they're not Japanese names) are meaningless and should be ignored.
Miki Trie'
QUOTE(Rhiannon @ Nov 25 2009, 03:03 PM) *

Nah, they're crazy. If they always went by that then Yggdra would be "I-GU-DO-RA." And Ishiene sure wouldn't have a "nu" as the last syllable in her name.

It is pronounced I-GU-DO-RA. The 2nd 'e' in Ishiene is silent no?
Rhiannon
Yeah, but in katakana it's "YU-GU-DO-RA." And as for Ishiene, it still wouldn't be "nu." They'd use "n" if they weren't crazy.
Hayashi Tenshi
QUOTE(Miki Trie' @ Nov 25 2009, 06:47 PM) *

QUOTE(Rhiannon @ Nov 25 2009, 03:03 PM) *

It is pronounced I-GU-DO-RA. The 2nd 'e' in Ishiene is silent no?

I read the katakana and I thought it said Yu-ge-do-ra. Haha.

When they say Ishiene in japanese they say Ishieney.
In english they remove the ney part
Rhiannon
No, they don't. :( I've played through YUPSP in Japanese twice, and I've heard no such thing. Not that it would make sense either way since her name is written イシーヌ (ishiinu).
Hayashi Tenshi
QUOTE(Rhiannon @ Nov 25 2009, 07:02 PM) *

No, they don't. :( I've played through YUPSP in Japanese twice, and I've heard no such thing. Not that it would make sense either way since her name is written イシーヌ (ishiinu).

I must have really bad ears then!
I am going to check it right now!
Miki Trie'
QUOTE(Rhiannon @ Nov 25 2009, 06:51 PM) *

Yeah, but in katakana it's "YU-GU-DO-RA." And as for Ishiene, it still wouldn't be "nu." They'd use "n" if they weren't crazy.

The kanji is "YU-GU-DO-RA". But is pronounced as I-GU-DO-RA.
Hayashi Tenshi
QUOTE(Miki Trie' @ Nov 25 2009, 07:44 PM) *

I thought it was in katakana.
Miki Trie'
Uh, yeah. Oopsie?
Yuka
QUOTE(Miki Trie' @ Nov 25 2009, 10:44 PM) *

Katakana is pronounced like it's read. Therefore, if the katakana read "yugudora", then it's pronounced "yugudora."
Miki Trie'
By the Japanese.
Yuka
Yes. So stop telling me that the Japanese pronounce "yugudora" as "igudora"
Frisk
I DON'T KNOW JAPANESE BUT I LIKE TO PRETEND I DO
Miki Trie'
I-GU-DO-RA.
Yuka
You're wrong. See above.
Miki Trie'
You're deaf.
Yuka
How so? Do you care to enlighten me as to why I'm apparently deaf?

Or are you too cowardly to back up your claims?
Rhiannon
Or you're trying to argue about a language you don't actually know anything about.

The facts:
1. In Japanese, her name is both spelled and pronounced "yugudora" (oh here's a link too, you'll probably have to copy/paste it into your browser for it to work but she says her name near the end: http://www.sting.co.jp/yggdra/psp/voice/vic_yggd.mp3 )
2. In English, her name is spelled "Yggdra" and pronounced "igg-druh."
3. Rai pronounces Aegina "ee-jee-na."
4. I find you unpleasant to be around.

If you deny any of these points (except for 3, I didn't bother to check if I was remembering that one right) I will no longer consider you worth arguing with, as you're obviously incapable of listening (and I don't just mean with your ears) in such a case.
Miki Trie'
Say all you want. It will never matter.
Yuka
My god, Rhia, we really DO have Feral on our hands again. :<
Miki Trie'
Okay, fine. Let's just leave it to our own beliefs.
Yuka
What the hell is that supposed to mean? All you've shown us is that you can't listen to actual audio files and that you're just completely arrogant and refuse to admit that you're wrong. You're making yourself look disagreeable and unwanted. Call it beliefs, but all of the "facts" that you've given us, which we've been proving wrong left and right, are just making you look foolish.
Miki Trie'
I mean to stop arguing now. Fine. It's YU-GU-DO-RA. Let's leave it at that.
Yuka
Do you also accept that the English pronunciation is "igg-druh"?
Miki Trie'
That's what it says in the PSP. I'm sorry then.
Yuka
Do you also accept that the Japanese pronunciation of Ishiene is "ishiinu"?
Miki Trie'
Right.
Yuka
Do you also accept that you're just accepting these because you're sick and tired of arguing with people who know better than you instead of you actually believing that what these people are saying is correct?
Miki Trie'
I guess? I'm agreeing because I'm sick of this, but also because I don't want to get on anyone's nerves anymore. I apologize everyone.
Yuka
Then you're still wrong.
Miki Trie'
Alright. I agree w/ everything you said.
Raijinili
"Yugudora" is something like "Ygdora" to us, because the "u" is really quiet in Japanese, remember?

I mean, "kusanagi" is kind of weird for me to pronounce, because of the near-silent "u".

YUU AA FOORU
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.