Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pact and Promise
Lacrima Castle > Technology and Entertainment > Fiction
Leyviur
"Ein, we have our mission."

Ein, the young male with short, jet black hair, looked up from the book he was reading. Rose, the small cat-like familiar perched on his shoulder, took no notice of her companions' discussion and continued reading from her perch.

"We do? What is it?"

"This one may be a very long one," Ein's blonde haired partner, Ledah, replied neutrally. This was, of course, the usual. Like Ein, Ledah was a grim angel - a soldier of the Gods, born with black wings and each with a holy armament. In exchange for these weapons, each angel had to give up something, either tangible or intangible. Ein had chosen his wings, though he didn't know what Ledah had sacrificed. Ein had decided that Ledah was a rather stern person, but aside from his taciturn demeanor, he seemed to be a good person.

"What is it?" Ein repeated his question, being careful not to annoy Ledah by sounding too pestering. In truth, Ein had little to worry about. Ledah was a very patient individual.

"We are to go to Riviera," Ledah paused, as if wondering if he should tell Ein the rest of their mission or not, "We must actuate The Retribution."

Ein must have been surprised, because he shot up from his seat, dropping his book and sending Rose toppling from his shoulder.

"Hey, watch it!" Rose snapped while she flapped her wings, hovering her in midair. Ein didn't notice Rose's outburst, and if he did he ignored her.

"The Retribution? But why?" Ein questioned. He knew what would happen to Riviera if the Retribution was activated. The result would be nothing short of catastrophic for the floating island.

"There have been reports of unrest within Utgard lately," Ledah explained, "We must activate The Retribution so that we can prevent another war between Asgard and Utgard."

"But...!" Ein began, but trailed off. Riviera was populated by innocents! If they activated The Retribution, millions of sinless people would be destroyed. "There has to be another way, Ledah. Ask the Magi! They must know of another way!"

"There is not," Ledah replied coldly, "We set off in the morning."

"Ledah, please!" Ein begged, and grabbed Ledah's cloak. He thought Ledah was a good person - surely, Ledah wouldn't resort to something as destructive as genocide on a peaceful people in order to destroy the enemy?

"Ein, we grim angels live in order to defend Asgard. Asgard is in danger now. If we spare Riviera and thus spare Utgard, Asgard and Utgard would go to war again. The result would be that millions in Asgard will die, and Riviera, caught in the middle, would also be destroyed in the crossfire as well."

"Still..." Ein pleaded, trying to search for some way to talk Ledah out of it. It just didn't seem right.

"Ein, it is either lose Riviera and destroy Utgard, or leave Riviera and eventually go to war and losing it anyway, in addition to the casualties that would result from the war. You must understand this."

"I don't think there's any other way, Ein," Rose, who had stayed silent up until now, explained, "I don't like it any more than you do, but Ledah is right, the needs of the many take priority over the needs of the few."

Ein opened his mouth to say something, but then stopped and sat down.

"I'll come back tomorrow morning. Be ready by then," Ledah said, and turned to leave. He stopped as he was about to walk out of Ein's lodgings, and turned around. He reached into his pocket and took something out.

"Here," Ledah tossed the item to Ein, who caught it rather clumsily.

"What is it...?" Ein examined the small trinket he held in his hands.

"It's from Lord Hector. He said that you are inexperienced and told me to give you that. It's called the Immoral Rosary, it'll make you stronger as long as you have it. Make use of it, you'll hold me back and just be a liability otherwise."

Ledah left, and Ein didn't take any notice, of Ledah's departure, or of his rather tactless parting quote. All he could think about was that he had to destroy a land full of innocent beings.

"Are you ready, Ein?" Ledah asked. It was early morning, and Ledah had come first thing to fetch Ein so that they could leave on their mission.

"...yes, I'm ready," Ein replied. In truth, he had not slept at all the night before and didn't want to go. But it was a mission, after all. Somebody had to do it.

"Then let's go," Ledah said.

"Wait."

Ledah turned around, shooting Ein a questioning look.

"We have to promise, no matter what happens, or what we do, we have to come back together ... alive."

Ein reached his hand out to Ledah. He hand tried to shake hands with Ledah many times since they first met, but Ledah had always refused to cooperate. He wasn't the personal type, or so Ein thought.

This time, however, Ledah reached his hand out and clasped Ein's hand in his own, sealing the pact.

"Yes. We will survive," Ledah agreed.

"All three of us," Ein replied.

"Three?"

A small black paw found its way on top of Ledah and Ein's clasped hands. Rose was floating in midair, her paw outstretched and perched upon the two grim angels' hands.

"Three," Rose declared.

For the first time, it looked like Ledah was going to smile, but then he closed his eyes, and turned around to leave.

"The day's no longer young. We should leave now," he insisted.

Ein smiled, and followed.
valkan
Do I dare say you're writing a serious story now?

*Contemplates*

MALICEXSERENE?
Dr Strum
we have to come back together

I thought you were trying to balance against this stuff.
Leyviur
I'm trying to depict them as friends, not gay sex partners.
valkan
ASH BEAT ME TO IT FERAL ;_;
Feral Phoenix
Well, I liked it. Though I admit, I'd like it a lot more if people would stop bashing me when I've got my back turned.

No matter how you portray Ein and Ledah's relationship--as platonic or romantic--it turns out sweet. That's why I like it, and that's why I run the fanlisting, which ALSO supports either form of their relationship.

Meh.

You write very well, Leyvuir. You should count yourself in the better half of fanfiction writers. ^_^
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.