Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Liar game
Lacrima Castle > Other Stuff > Miscellaneous
Raij|Away
Lie your way out of this. You have no special powers, no friends or swords or anything strange.

Scene: You're in a college library. You're not a student there.
Goal: You want to borrow a book. You don't want to have to give up anything.
Notes: You probably can't trick the security guards or librarians to let you borrow a book without giving your personal info or collateral, so you should find a student and get them to let you use their card. The lying isn't important, you can tell the truth, but you would have to make it a convincing argument to get them to let you borrow the book.
Dr Strum
Dammit Rai, figure out how to solve your own problems if you want to borrow a book.
Xephyr
There are so many answers to this...
Raijinili
You have completely missed the point.
DustyHaru
Can I threaten/blackmail?

Lie:
The book is actually written by a school official that you [The Liar] are related to. The actual text is not what you are after but a cleverly written code to access the university's network. In borrowing the book you will be able to help the student change his grades.

Lame lie.
Xephyr
QUOTE(Raijinili @ Feb 3 2009, 05:20 PM) *

You have completely missed the point.

How is that?
Raijinili
That's a bad lie.

Also, Xephyr, your answer is like me saying "Give a way to calculate the prime factorization of 2147483647" and you saying "There are many ways to do it". You DIDN'T ANSWER THE QUESTION.
Xephyr
I see.
I figured that my stating that there are many ways to answer was valid. Apparently, that is not the case.
In this scenario, you will require no lying whatsoever:

Download an e-book or find it online by some other means.

Or, go to another library.
Raijinili
That's breaking the rules. The goal is to borrow a book. You can steal the book, but that would not fulfill the goal.
Xephyr
So, ask a friend that owns the book to borrow it.

Simple.
Irysa
You're assuming far too much. In such a situation it's best to stack all the odds against yourself instead of guessing an easy one.

And he said you had no friends anyway, christ.

Anyway.

My own worthless associate has managed to lose their own card, but has failed to return the one he's borrowed from my person. Thus, I'm in need of a card to be able to borrow a book on a particular work to finish. I'll return the card as soon as I'm done with it.

Also; ITT, everyone misses the reference to Liar Game.
Xephyr
So, you are Irysa. Nice to meet you.

QUOTE(Irysa @ Feb 4 2009, 04:36 AM) *

And he said you had no friends anyway, christ.
Oops, I missed that. :P
Enzd
QUOTE(Xephyr @ Feb 4 2009, 06:26 AM) *
So, you are Irysa. Nice to meet you.

This is the first post on here that has made me really laugh.
H. Tsukiyono
Strike up a conversation with a student behind a shelf of large heavy books. Distract them somehow, and when they're not looking knock them out with an encyclopedia or something like that. :/ Riffle through their wallet in the 15 seconds they're out, extract their card, put the wallet back, and make a break for it. :|

Afterward, leave the card sticking out of the encyclopedia you hit them with. :( And maybe include an apology note. If you hit them so hard as to concuss them, call the paramedics so at least they're more likely to buy it if you say it was an accident and you meant whatever it was you wrote in the apology note.
Raijinili
IF ANYONE MENTIONS NETECA IN THIS TOPIC AGAIN I WILL <CENSORED> YOUR <CENSORED> <CENSORED> AND FUCKING <CENSORED> WHEN YOU <CENSORED>

Tsuki: That's cheating, since I don't know if you have the physical prowess to pull it off and not get caught.
Xephyr
Uh, why is Rai's group "Naughty Children"?

Was he banned too?
Enzd
Yes. That is precisely what happened to him.
Yuka
Offer some service to a student in exchange for the usage of his library card. The service should be something you could expend indefinitely because you'd never lose it, such as a foot massage. In that example, all you lose is a few seconds of your time.
Raijinili
You don't want to give up anything.

Oh yeah:
QUOTE(Irysa)
My own worthless associate has managed to lose their own card, but has failed to return the one he's borrowed from my person. Thus, I'm in need of a card to be able to borrow a book on a particular work to finish. I'll return the card as soon as I'm done with it.
"How can I trust you to return the book?"
Irysa
It's rather difficult to propose how someone can trust you without giving anything up. You need like, rank A+ charisma for that to work.

Unless you just steal the card.
Leyviur
Use your mindwiping superpowers.
Xephyr
QUOTE(Raij|Away @ Feb 2 2009, 11:40 PM) *

Lie your way out of this. You have no special powers, no friends or swords or anything strange.

Raijinili
He knows.
DustyHaru
"I'm sorry but are you <insert name>? It seems that you've been expelled for the abuse of certain school facilities and other unbecoming activities. I would ask that you'd please had over your student ID card, library card and any other sort of university identification, so that I may return be able to dispose of them properly, as I am a school official sent on these and or similar businesses. Thank you for your cooperation, please have a good day."

:{ <- officious moustache
H. Tsukiyono
QUOTE(DustyHaru @ Feb 6 2009, 07:49 PM) *

"I'm sorry but are you <insert name>? It seems that you've been expelled for the abuse of certain school facilities and other unbecoming activities. I would ask that you'd please had over your student ID card, library card and any other sort of university identification, so that I may return be able to dispose of them properly, as I am a school official sent on these and or similar businesses. Thank you for your cooperation, please have a good day."

:{ <- officious moustache

LOL OFFLINE PHISHING /off-topic
Raijinili
A school official wouldn't state that he's a school official in the middle.
DustyHaru
Would he state it afterwards?
Lux
Find a kind-looking person, walk up to them and start saying something like "Oh hey! I haven't seen you in forever! How've you been?", etc. Invite them to go somewhere later that week so they know they'll see you again. Get into an in-depth discussion, and on the way out:

"Oh, damn. I left my library card in my dorm, would you mind checking this out for me?"
Raij|Away
Pretty good.
Frisk
Tell them that you work at the library and all library cards are being updated/renewed. Ask other students for theirs to make it more convincing and give you a higher chance of getting a card.

Also, can you tell me the type/name of book being borrowed? Can I make up my own? I can come up with something else if you have that information. And I want to.
Raijinili
It should work with any book.

And why would they go up to you to update your card? Shouldn't they tell you at the desk, or at the entrance, or by mail?
Frisk
I have no clue why I even wanted to know that anymore.

And just because it would make more sense for the other places doesn't mean they wouldn't believe you
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.