Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Macs, Boot Camp, and crappy computers.
Lacrima Castle > Technology and Entertainment > Computeralogical Stuff
Lux
I'm considering getting one of the new MacBooks [link], but I've never used Mac OS X, and was wondering if someone can give me what they like about it compared to Windows. [Yes, I've read EVERYTHING I could find on the internet.] I just want some human opinion.

Another thing. I was considering using Boot Camp to triple boot it, so I have OS X/XP/Ubuntu on it, and was curious as to how easy it is to upgrade the OS after you trpple boot.

Thanks guys.
Dr Strum
but I've never used Mac OS X, and was wondering if someone can give me what they like about it compared to Windows.
It's easier to use, and prettier, but also less (immediately) customizable and you will never know what's going wrong - but things will far more rarely go wrong (perhaps never if you're not a power user).

I was considering using Boot Camp to triple boot it, so I have OS X/XP/Ubuntu on it, and was curious as to how easy it is to upgrade the OS after you trpple boot.
Define update. If you mean just normal system updates (well, I don't know how it works on Windows these days but for Linux and OS X) it's no different. You install the update and restart. For new OSes, like say upgrading to Leopard from Tiger, it's not difficult at all. Just hold C to load from the disc drive when you turn on the computer, and it's just like a routine install (again, at least for OS X and Linux, I haven't used Windows in a LONG time, and I only once updated when I did).
Yuka
OS X vs. Windows on appearance is opinion based, as I personally thing that OS X icons are too large and thus ugly.

Probably my only major gripe about Windows comes from when you're looking for what hardware your computer has, as for a long time I couldn't find what soundcard I had. In the end I figured out that my soundcard is built into my motherboard, and Windows wasn't telling me this. I don't know if OS X tells you things like this, but it's definitely something I don't like Windows for.
Dr Strum
OS X icons are too large and thus ugly.
As with all OSes, the size of icons can be adjusted by the user.

Yuka
I didn't know about that, as all screens I've seen of OS X have had hideously huge icons.
Lux
QUOTE(Dr Sturm @ Oct 31 2008, 02:42 PM) *

but I've never used Mac OS X, and was wondering if someone can give me what they like about it compared to Windows.
It's easier to use, and prettier, but also less (immediately) customizable and you will never know what's going wrong - but things will far more rarely go wrong (perhaps never if you're not a power user).

I was considering using Boot Camp to triple boot it, so I have OS X/XP/Ubuntu on it, and was curious as to how easy it is to upgrade the OS after you trpple boot.
Define update. If you mean just normal system updates (well, I don't know how it works on Windows these days but for Linux and OS X) it's no different. You install the update and restart. For new OSes, like say upgrading to Leopard from Tiger, it's not difficult at all. Just hold C to load from the disc drive when you turn on the computer, and it's just like a routine install (again, at least for OS X and Linux, I haven't used Windows in a LONG time, and I only once updated when I did).

By "update", I meant complete OS installation. I wondered if it would be easy to upgrade the Windows and Linux OSes without completely obliterating all the information on the partition.

Because, yanno, that would suck really bad.

Thanks for your help.
Dr Strum
I can't see why it wouldn't be.
valkan
QUOTE(Yuka @ Oct 31 2008, 02:27 PM) *

OS X vs. Windows on appearance is opinion based, as I personally thing that OS X icons are too large and thus ugly.

Probably my only major gripe about Windows comes from when you're looking for what hardware your computer has, as for a long time I couldn't find what soundcard I had. In the end I figured out that my soundcard is built into my motherboard, and Windows wasn't telling me this. I don't know if OS X tells you things like this, but it's definitely something I don't like Windows for.

If you pull down the apple menu on OSX and hit "About this Mac" it shows you all the hardware you have on your mac in a nice summery.

If you need to know more, all you have to do is click "More Info" in the same window, and then it shows every bit of hardware your computer has in detail. Specs too.

It's pretty useful.
Lux
That sounds nice.

Unlike having to deal with this piece-of-crap windows computer.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.