Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is there a way to hide download information?
Lacrima Castle > Technology and Entertainment > Computeralogical Stuff
Archeia
Hi everyone! I was wondering, my dad this thing in his comp that allows him to see what I'm downloading (like Knights in the Nightmare OST oh my woes 100mb+++) and he complains and makes me stop downloading stuff, is there a way that I can hide my download information so they can stop bothering me and getting the goods? <_<;;

He isn't the main server in our net, but he might've done something...
Dr Strum
It depends what he's doing. If we don't know that, it's hard to help. We don't even know what applications you're downloading with so we can't help there, either.
Raijinili
As I recall, you pay by the bandwidth. I say if you're going to spend his money, you shouldn't keep it from him. That'd be stealing.
Archeia
I need to hide my downloads because they think I'm the one sucking it up :U
When we're like 6 people using and I usually just in the MIRC and messing with my paint stuff
jcdietz03
The only thing I can think of is try to use your neighbor's wireless internet. That will bypass most detection methods.

Do you use wireless or wired?
Where is your internet gateway? You know, the thing that communicated with your hi-speed modem? Some of them are wired, some are wireless.

Type windows-R. Then type cmd [enter]. Now type ipconfig. Write down the four numbers where it says "default gateway." Put http:// followed by the four numbers into your browser and tell me what you get.

My guess is the gateway is logging your traffic and your dad is grabbing the data from the gateway. The gateway is probably password protected. If you know the make and model and have physical access to the device, you can do a reset (erases all settings), access the device using the default password, and setup your own password.

Your other problem is you live in Australia where ISPs like to meter bandwidth. It's becoming more popular for ISPs to meter your bandwidth here in the United States. However, we're still at a point where most ISPs don't monitor your bandwidth. If you lived somewhere else it would be less of an issue.
aerozero
Oh man, I hope ISPs don't start monitoring bandwidth usage here >_>

Archeia
Well we are always monitored so we have a 20 gb net max per month and we'll go slow mode once that hits and we have to wait for a month.

I'll try finding out my dad's program, thanks jc that process is kinda risky for me so I have to find another alternative
Midnight
Are you using Firefox? Your father might be looking at the downloads window. (How does he get there, I don't know.) When you download something, a little window comes up, after all downloads are complete, there is a button in the window that says 'Clear List'. Click that. (If you use Firefox, at least. I don't know how to help if you use a different internet browser, though...)
Raijinili
That would be stupid if it was true.

By the way, it's Ctrl+J.
Archeia
I found out something, my dad doesn't know anything and my siblings are spying my downloads, now I have no worries. Thank you XD

Jcdietz, I might set that up so I can have sweet vengeance :)
Raijinili
Your siblings might be spying on this topic.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.