Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Visual Novels
Lacrima Castle > Technology and Entertainment > Other Games
Pages: 1, 2
Irysa
What're your thoughts and inputs on them in general/what have you played?

Not "true" games? Inferior and dumbed down versions of adventure games? Atypically generic love stories for lonely virgins? Replacement of human contact for the socially inept?

Or maybe you had some GOOD things to say about them, hah.

I'm working on finishing Tsukihime and Ever17, both of which have been extremely bad. I gave up on trying to do F/SN altogether, and Yume Miru Kusuri.

Mostly I feel these significantly suffer from dialect and such being lost in translation along with the writing style not being particularly amazing in the first place. I've not seen any that really enhanced the experience significantly with their music or artwork, as I have a vivid imagination anyway. I'm still of the general opinion that most who do enjoy them a lot don't usually read normal books.
Raijinili
Too much of a wuss to play them. Afraid of hentai.
Archeia
I enjoy visual novels :<
In FSN you just missed UBW, the greatest route ever.

In Ever 17, you haven't even been on Coco's path yet! You haven't seen why this thing is a masterpiece.

In Tsukihime, I don't know how you don't like the awesomeness of Mystic Eyes of Death Perception.

I just skipped the h-scene for Tsukihime and Fate/Stay Night.

I'm still of the general opinion that most who do enjoy them a lot don't usually read normal books.

I disagree, I read a lot too but I don't know why you think that these 3 novels are just some generic love pairing thingies.

I played a lot of Visual Novels like Narcissu, Togainu No Chi and other stuff. I just play them since I like them. Just remember this Asaph, if Ever 17 will ever be turned into a manga or anime, it'll destroy the suspense of the story.
Irysa
In FSN you just missed UBW, the greatest route ever.
I'm not putting up with an entire full normal route of boring dialect from characters I don't care about when I already KNOW the default story just for something I "might" like.

In Ever 17, you haven't even been on Coco's path yet! You haven't seen why this thing is a masterpiece.
If I get that far.

In Tsukihime, I don't know how you don't like the awesomeness of Mystic Eyes of Death Perception.
Concept isn't even original, but the original concept is good yes. But concepts don't save it from having completely flat characters and ridiculous game overs.
I disagree, I read a lot too but I don't know why you think that these 3 novels are just some generic love pairing thingies.

Name the last 3 books you read for pleasure. The majority of people I've gone and quizzed on this have accepted they don't read much, if at all, or else just said they do it for the simulated human contact (lol internet)

I'm not saying the settings as a whole are generic, I'm saying the characters and the way they act in retrospect is generic. I don't like love stories as a general thing in any fiction at all, because they're never done well.

And anyway, that's not the biggest problem I have, it's the writing. It's all barely on par with most jrpgs, which nearly never ever have worthwhile stories.

I played a lot of Visual Novels like Narcissu, Togainu No Chi and other stuff. I just play them since I like them.
Are they better or worse than books then?

I heard Narcissu was good, was thinking of at least giving that and Planateriuam or whatever a try after I finish these two, and just dropping it altogether if I don't like them.

if Ever 17 will ever be turned into a manga or anime, it'll destroy the suspense of the story.
There is no suspense, that's what totally annoys me. Nobody acts like they're going to die at all yet.

Interactive fiction as a whole interests me far more than visual novels as a whole.

http://adamcadre.ac/content/photo201.zip

Took me less than an hour to finish but has hit me harder than most actual books for that matter.
Archeia
Oh man Asaph, you haven't even finished one of these TuT
I'd be happy to hear your complaints if you at least finish one.
Archeia
sorry comp breakdown
Irysa
So?

Bad parts don't get good just because it gets better later.
Archeia
Basically, judge something on day 4 of a game :3
Or even day 3 where it was just starting to get interesting.

man If I was like that I wouldn't bother with Riviera at all :u
Or even Yggdra Union with it's long scenarios.
Irysa
I haven't judged the game

I judged what I played.

Why is that so hard to understand?

Riviera had GAMEPLAY unlike these, which is what kept me playing for the most part till character development and such kicked in properly. And I think YU sucks and I stopped playing it before Sauce made me finish it.
Dr Strum
Narcissu made me start listening to music while reading, hoping that a song would sync up with the events of the story in a way that hit me like it did in Narcissu.
Megaolix
I like reading, so I enjoy this kind of games. Played F/SN, Tsukihime and Kagetsu Tohya.

I enjoyed all 3 of them.

What's Ever17? Mention of it being a masterpiece sparked my interest.

Edit: Corrected myself.
Irysa
I like reading, so I enjoy these games.

I like playing games, that doesn't mean I like all games.

Make sense.

I actually just decided to give up on doing the initial near side route of Tsukihime. It was horrifically bad, but the far side route seems to be a bit better so far.
Raijinili
It's because it's more of a book than a game.
Irysa
Liking reading doesn't mean you like all books.
Raijinili
It's more like, "Liking reading doesn't mean you like all types of books".
Lloyd Seegymont the Rasier
QUOTE(Raijinili @ May 14 2008, 04:54 AM) *

It's more like, "Liking reading doesn't mean you like all types of books".

I agree.

I love suspense and war books.

I can't stand most romance novels. Most of then are so unrealistic it's sickening.
Raijinili
Thank goodness we have books about dragons!
QUOTE(Raijinili @ May 16 2008, 04:35 AM) *

Thank goodness we have books about dragons!

Is it just me, or was that a Eragon reference?
Raijinili
What the heck do dragons have to do with Eragon?
Irysa
Well I beat Akiha's route on Tsukihime

That was surprisingly good.

Although I still think it would have been better as a book with less messed up translation.

And what the hell was with the non legit ending that

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «
Dr Strum
I thought Tsukihime's translation was still in beta.
Irysa
Mirror Moon finished it ages ago.
QUOTE(Raijinili @ May 17 2008, 04:11 AM) *

What the heck do dragons have to do with Eragon?

Because theres dragons in Eragon >_>
Yuka
And there aren't dragons in other books, amirite?
DustyHaru
No, they're all lies by the men who live upstairs and downstairs.
Irysa
Hisui's route was mostly pretty bland but had such an incredible ending it made up for it.

Kohaku's route so far is turning out to be my favourite (although I think Akiha's is the best overall. Crazy huh?).
Irysa
Well I beat F/SN's Fate route today.

Good ending, couple of pretty great scenes, brought down by overall mediocrity of the filler.
Art is bad, but there are a couple of good gory CGs, music is mostly bog standard but has a couple of excellent tracks.

Not enough fleshing out of good characters.

Very stupid scene choices and many have implausible circumstances that cause them to lose impact.

I don't find Saber entirely boring anymore.

I hate Shirou even more.

Overall - 2.75/5

Starting UBW today.
Archeia
FINALLY!!!
Good Luck on UBW :D
And no matter what you do, don't get the Good Ending since it sucks!
*in short focus only on Rin XD*
Irysa
Also, this scene was cool.

The starting penalty is five.

Life penalty, body penality, freedom penalty, fame penalty, fortune penalty.

Give the penalty that extends so much punishment, mud, darkness and malice.

"Elimination of human rights by castration, exile, execution"

"Torture and sadism upon the body through digestion"

"Denial by consensus of the colony that eliminates all honor"

die

"Scorn from judgment and selfishness that takes away men's fortunes"

death penalty penal servitude imprisonment custody fine penalty, crime from a grudge, crime from self-interest, unconscious crime, self-conscious crime, civil war, inducement, false statement, theft, robbery, kidnap, suicide, rape, arson, bombing, violation, negligent homicide, mass violence, death at work, overconfident accident.

die

misdiagnosis, concealment, violation for benefit, violation for self-protection, violation for love, violation for respect, selfish _____. Stealing fraudulent fraud concealment murder theft crime crime personal grudge attack attack attack attack dirty dirty dirty you are dirty atone atone atone atone every violence every crime every victim atone for everything

"This world is ruled by something not human"

Know the conscience to reform crimes

die die die

Know the penality to reform crimes. People's kindness is here. There is so much it cannot be noticed. Know the violence to hide crimes. Know the power to hide crimes. People's malignance is here. It is so rare that it is noticed. A hundred kindnesses and one malignance. Malignance shines bright to keep the balace and exists as a great evil to compete with the masses of kindness.

The starting penalty is five.

die die die die die die die die

__ for self __ for self __ for self __ for self __ for self __ for self __ for self __ for self __ for self __ for self __ for self __ for self __ for self __ for self __ for self inducement, false statement, theft, robbery, kidnap, suicide, rape, arson, infringement, dirty dirty dirty dirty dirty dirty you are dirty atone atone atone atone atone atone evry violence every crime every victim atone atone atone with death!!!!!!

diediediediediediediediediediediediediediediediediediediediediediediediediediedi
ediediediediediediediediediediediediediediediediediediediediediediediediediedied
iediediediediediediediediediediediediediediediediediediediediediediediediediedie
diediediediediediediediediediediediediediediediediediediediediediediediediediedi
ediediediediediediediediediediediediediediediediediediediediediediediediediedied
iediediediediediediediediediediediediediediediediediediediediediediediediediedie
diediediediediediediediediediediediediediediediediediediediediediediediediedie

The mud eating away at my body remains and steals my warmth mercilessly.

I am crushed by the thing seeping in through all five senses.

Darkness I cannot look at directly.
Ugliness I cannot acknowledge.
Crimes I want to run away from.
Every crime of the people in this world.

That is why I am going to die

One trapped in this darkness will eat themselves to death from pain and hatred.
Megaolix
Well, I hope you'll like the UBW route. Of the two routes translated yet, it is by far my favorite.
Irysa
First 7 days are a joke.

The next 3 are vaguely interesting.

The next 2 are good.

Last group are fucking awesome.

Sadly the ending was a bit lacking compared to Fate's, and the Gilgamesh vs Shirou scene didn't nearly last long enough.

Archer's a cuntbag, although I admit his situation is awful.

Lancer is fucking GAR.

Caster is moe.

NOT ENOUGH FUCKING ASSASSIN.

Super tsundere Rin is annoying.

Shirou is still retarded.

3.75/5

With any luck HF turns out to be better because Shirou kicks his stupid ideals into the gutter.
Megaolix
Too bad we couldn't have Archer's voice saying his own chant.

Anyway, I've seen two translated scenes of the third route on MM's forums. One thing I know for sure is that Shirou's is way different than in the other two routes. As in he's not weak. Far from it.

I also found the japanese versions of Shirou and Archer's chants, if anyone is interested.

Irysa
HF is already half spoiled for me anyway, not about to ruin it even more.

Also, translation is entirely finished.

It's in Message's hands now.

Everyone hang out while he masturbates and eats cheetos rather than fucking proofing.
Irysa
Finished Ever 17.

HOOLLLLLLYYYY SHIT.

I haven't shat that many bricks since playing Metal Gear Solid 2.

5/5

There are some definite lacking points, but nearly everything totals up and makes sense in the overall game. The individual routes themselves are sort of worse though.

Also, oh god, I started Kagetsu Toyha today.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

I smirked.
Archeia
ABOUT TIME DAMNIT, FINALLY!

SEEEEEEE!! I told you it's not possible to be a manga OR an anime! That's why VN's can be so awesome <3 <3

But yeah it's so annoying that the individual paths are so misleading and kinda boring and it proves that one path can save the game at all \m/
Admit it, you're glad I forced you to play Ever17!!

And I can see you already are in Kagetsu Tohya, haha, that part with Kohaku is fun.

Irysa
Yeah, but specifically, how many pull off the story like E17 does? I'll admit that E17 is impossible, yeah, but I don't think many of them utilize the multiple route thing like it does.

Also, goddamn, how'd KID go bankrupt when shit like KEY is popular. I'd love to read the rest of the infinity series. :\

Also lol, got the needle time bad end.
Archeia
KID did went bankrupt I suppose (friend misled me arjirfewqhrfw'ief) must be because piracy, Cyberfront bought them though (the intellectual properties), Hirameki, the people who translated the thing closed down since not enough people bought it :( Well I guess piracy really does kill as they were supposed to license Never7 and Remember 11 :<

Remember 11 is being translated by 2 people with no name and 12Riven is the latest release. 12Riven is awesome with Bullet Dodge.

KID is still on going, there's a new one under production but the name hasn't been given yet.
Irysa
Well I just finished Chaos;Head (the game, you dummies)

It has fantastic atmosphere and buildup, great quality cgs, portraits, great voice acting (especially Taku, his voice is awesome), and is genuinely creepy and disturbing throughout. The game spooked me out of my seat a whole lot. The music ranges from awesome to acceptable.

However, the last chapter of the game felt like a bit slight bit of a let down. It was climactic and all, but it didn't really reach the level the rest of the game had set. I also feel there was a significant lack of development for any characters other than Taku, but perhaps this is a good thing.

I also applaud their decision for an open ending.

I haven't gotten the B Route ending yet, so I guess we'll see about that later.

4/5
Irysa
FINISHED HEAVEN'S FEEL

WOW THAT ROUTE HAD A LOT OF FILLER. SAKURA IS MORE TOLERABLE THAN RIN OR SABER THOUGH. AND LOTS OF ILYA TOO, SO THAT'S GOOD.

FUCK, NINE LIVES SHIROU IS AWESOME.

AND IT HAD THE BEST FINALE.

THE EPILOGUES ARE A BIT OFF THOUGH.

I'LL GIVE IT 4/5 BECAUSE IT'S ABOUT AS GOOD AS UBW BUT JUST A BIT BETTER FOR NLS.
P.P.A.
I have started playing Tsukihime yesterday and am enjoying it thus far.
Hisui is so adorable. :(
Irysa
spoilers I guess, but I just HAD to do this after getting the Realta Nua cgs.

And yes you WILL need to have seen Gurren Lagann to get it.
P.P.A.

Hisui's getting cuter and cuter though.
Raijinili
Wait, is that the actual incantation? Or a translation?
Irysa
No, it's a spoof of Simon's "Drill to the Heavens" speech, because the pose Shirou has is very similar to Simon's.

Note the Gurren Lagann thing.
Raijinili
I thought that was just "Who the hell do
P.P.A.
Got Hisui's True Ending.
No teardrop left my eyes, but they were quite waterly, wide open and actually lagged behind reading the scrolling text even though they're usually way faster.

Will start Kohaku's story later today.
Archeia
Oh man, Heaven's Feel is mixed to me, I like it at the same time I don't is it me or Nasu is horny when he wrote this route!

But...
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w320/ynlraey/rofl.png

This brings a smile to my face :3
Irysa
Just wait till the end.

Your heartstrings will be pulled so hard you break.

( Ilya ;_; )
aerozero
I beat Fate/Stay Night today...

My impressions

Overall I liked it a lot, going to uninstall it and reinstall Chaos; Head now.
Archeia
I finished fate/stay night yesterday 100% complete, Yes, HF is awesome, the fillers are fun since it's Ilya <3 <3 <3

Sakura is ok I guess, I have mixed feelings for her, it's a love-hate side. Also, if you collected all the tiger stamps, you get an ilya and taiga having a hot spring bath explaining all the routes :3

Also, this ending, I'm sooooo happy *sniff* It truly is a deserving grand finale, I think it's the best route if it wasn't for all the h scenes.

p.s. Kirei is so GAR
Shirou is awesome in this route, and painful to watch as well

ILYAAAAAAAAAAAAA !!!!!!!!
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHHHHHHHHHHHHYYYYYYYYYYYY!?!?!?!??!?!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.