Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Persona 4
Lacrima Castle > Technology and Entertainment > Other Games
aerozero
http://kotaku.com/369077/famitsu-reveals-persona-4

Too tired to be excited.

But Day One for me.

Shadow
Well, it's pretty old news, but at least we get some new images and character design.
Irysa
Yuck
Irysa
Anyway

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm2705966

First 20 minutes of the game.

If you need a guide to use nicovideo, look at this.

http://img399.imageshack.us/img399/7686/1205927108487hh2.jpg

And fuck, someone did a youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJt2ZnL9eTQ

This desyncs however

Evokers are totally gone, all characters appear to wear some kind of glasses in battle.
Shadow
Looks a lot like P3. But that's not half bad.

BTW, that's not Elizabeth... right?
Irysa
It probably is.

Anyway, summary of what we know

- 60-70 hours
- Multiple endings
- 1.5x longer than P3:FES
- Theme for this game is murder, mystery and detective work
- There are multiple dungeons as opposed to P3's Tartarus
- Slated for July in Japan
- Set 2 years after P3:FES
- Uses the same engine as P3:FES
- Soejima (main character designer for P3, sorry Kaneko fans) is returning as are the music and story directors from the previous game.
- S. Links are in the game
- The setting is in rural Japan, but not out in the boonies. You're within range of the mall, high school (not Gekkoukan), etc..
- Lunar Cycle replaced by random weather daily, followed by preset days where it gets foggy. Murders occur on these days
- Evokers gone, glasses used to see enemies
- Attack animations are more varied and dynamic
- You can help allies up after they fall and slap them to knock them out of some status effects
aerozero
That's Margaret, she's pretty hot >_>

Irysa
Random impressions off the video

Impressions from the trailer (and i could very well be wrong) seem to suggest that the main dungeon or dungeons this time around are somehow connected to television sets, and presumably the "midnight TV" show i've seen mentioned around. Lunar cycle seems to have been completely replaced by the random weather changes with foggy nights (when murders occur) happening on set days throughout the game. No idea whether or not they will be scripted events similar to full moons from P3 or scenarios that can have differing solutions (perhaps you can stop or fail to stop a murder, resulting in branching paths to the multiple endings).

Social Links are still intact, so you can expect much the same if not a bit more in-depth; maybe we'll see actual endings to the S-Links instead of having to wait for an expansion? Igor is, of course, still present; this time he seems to be hanging out in a limo with a new girl (doesn't quite seem like Elizabeth, but it could just be a cosmetic change).

Looks like some cool weapons in the game, along the lines of wrenches and fishing poles (seemed like). Battles seem to work out in much the same way as P3, but likely with some freshening up and new touches. A few scenes showed characters in battle helping their teammates up off of the ground. No more evokers, it looks like each character summons a Persona directly from a tarot card. The glasses may be used just to see their enemies (ala They Live). A bunch of new characters are shown apart from the main three we've seen: might be mistaken, but looked like a biker dude with sunglasses, a fellow who looks similar to a mix of Isamu from SMT: Nocturne and Raidou from DS (assumption from a quick glance of him in battle and his portrait, not gospel), what might be that long-haired girl in the red shirt/gray skirt seen introduced to the MC in an earlier gameplay scene, and maybe a few others. I lost track and the youtube vid is screwing up on me now.

Overall, I'm looking forward to this game. At first, it didn't seem to have quite the same kick as the P3 trailer had; lacking a little of the loud, impressive and colorful style they blasted you with in that intro, it seemed a little more low-key, subdued. I like to think now that it just suits the rural aesthetic of the game and don't hold it against it by any means. Once Igor popped in and the gameplay started, i was hooked.

SOME SHIT FROM GAMEFAGGOTS (courtesy of Zeruel):

-that bear thing is a party member
-Loki's back, however, he's in his Soul Hackers form (13:49)
-fight Shadow versions of your party members
-some Commu/S-Link info; Nanako Doujima/Justice (the little girl you live with), Sports Club/Strength, Chie Satonaka/Chariot
aerozero
They mentioned different endings, so hopefully there will be character specific endings.

I noticed the Devil Summoner looking guy too

My most anticipated game of 2009.

Shadow
QUOTE(aerozero @ Mar 19 2008, 03:39 PM) *

My most anticipated game of 2009.

I second this.
Rhiannon
- 60-70 hours
- 1.5x longer than P3:FES

HOW DOES THIS MAKE ANY SENSE
Irysa
See, they're assuming you speedrun and don't abuse abuse abuse abuse everything for S links and grind grind grind grind.
Chaos
QUOTE(Irysa @ Mar 20 2008, 12:16 PM) *

See, they're assuming you speedrun and don't abuse abuse abuse abuse everything for S links and grind grind grind grind.

But that's what you're supposed to do, right? (Hasn't played any games in the series, yet still excited for some reason)
Irysa
Everyone's a completionist and wants max S links, all the best skills and suck too hard to beat bosses without grinding, so no.
Leyviur
I beat the bosses without grinding the first time and it still took me 80 hours.
Irysa
That doesn't count off the S Links.
Irysa
http://p4.atlusnet.jp/index.html
Megaolix
Rather surprised to see this on PS2, but I'm certainly not complaining.

But if this comes out in July for Japan, I wonder how long we'll have to wait.
aerozero
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ko3EC5RvMIw

New Persona 4 opening that was just released.

Hype rising
Irysa
P3 has a better opening.
Archeia
QUOTE(Irysa @ May 13 2008, 02:52 AM) *

P3 has a better opening.

Seconded.
But Persona 4 is some kind of detective mystery right?
aerozero
Yeah, it kind of reminds me of P2.
aerozero
Announced for the US at Anime Expo

December 9, 2008

I can't wait :D
Irysa
I still need to beat FES.
Shadow
I also need to beat The Answer. But it's kind of boring.
Megaolix
Well, I've finished FES, both Journey and Answer.

Lucho, don't give up. The Answer is maybe boring for a good part, but once you start to get near the ending, it's awesome.
aerozero
4 more days!

I got my preorder artbook today, it is very nice, I'm surprised at how much effort and money Atlus put into it. Kind of makes me regret not preordering Eternal Poison just for the artbook...

IPB Image
Saffron~sama
Moving right along in P4, may be getting a new character soon. Have to level up a bit first.

We got that art book too, for our pre-order, and also got a P4 "social link expansion pack" from amazon.com. It has a Teddie plush, soundtrack #2, calendar, T-shirt. Pretty cool stuff.

Really enjoyed P3 and FES, although, as in P4, I think the "main character" need actual names. Calling him "hey you", "him"... and other non-committal names is kinda m'eh. At least we can hear him speak when he calls forth personas.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.