Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gamestop just called my house...said Riviera PSP will be in tomorrow.
Lacrima Castle > Sting Games > Riviera
VGK
uh....?

What happened to 7/17?
aerozero
The Gamestop I preordered at called me as well. Hopefully this is true, I don't want to wait another week. I'm going to call them tomorrow to make sure they have it before I go pick it up though.
Yuka
The site shows it coming out tomorrow, and Sturm told Rhia to tell Ash in the channel that they're already shipping them.
aerozero
Excellent, I'll head out to GS as soon as I wake up tomorrow.
Rune_Ocarina
Nevermind, I just got my call...now I have to endure work tomorrow...
VGK
It is out. My copy is sitting right in front of me.

EDIT: For the record, it requires a 3.40 FW PSP or higher.

EDIT2: Little excerpt from the manual on the dual-language support

Little Excerpt from the manual:

"When playing Riviera: The Promised Land for the PSP system with the Japanese Language on, please note that the text has been adjusted for american audeiences and thus is not a 1:1 direct translation. Also, some names have been altered

US Version | Japanese Version
Ein .... Ecthel
Rose ... Rothe
Lina ... Lyuri
Accursed ... Infernos
Einherjar ... Excellion
Banango ... Bananan
Applecot ... Kokori
Gataeu ... Milllefeuilles
Sage ... Wise"

Probably already known, but I felt like typing this up.
Yuka
QUOTE(VGK @ Jul 11 2007, 02:20 PM) *

Gataeu ... Milllefeuilles

That's a mouthful of a translation. Have fun pronouncing Milllefeuilles.
aerozero
I just picked up my copy of the game as well. The voice acting is really good so far.

I'm at the part where Ein gets the rock.

Thank god the required firmware is 3.40 by the way.
Suzu Fujibayashi
Milllefeuilles!? WTH is that? D:
Gateau sounds about 1,000,000 times better. That really IS a mouthful. Geeez. @_@
aerozero
That's why they changed Millefeullies to Gateau in the English version.
Suzu Fujibayashi
Ahhhh, I was reading it in reverse. My bad. *coughs*
Hahaha, Bananan looks like a typo... XD
Rune_Ocarina
Just got mine, good to pass time while sitting through the commercials for E3
Wally
QUOTE(Suzu Fujibayashi @ Jul 11 2007, 04:30 PM) *

I think that is "thousand" and "leaf/leaves." I probably should have stuck with French.
grgspunk

The game doesn't come with it? As someone who's going to buy a PSP soon, where/how do you get it?
VGK
QUOTE(grgspunk @ Jul 12 2007, 03:42 AM) *

The game doesn't come with it? As someone who's going to buy a PSP soon, where/how do you get it?

The 3.40 update is on the UMD. I'm just noting the version because if it, say, required 3.51 firmware, people with Custom Firmware would not be able to play it (normally anyway).
aerozero
I love my custom firmware, it kicks the crap out of Sony's official one.
H. Tsukiyono
QUOTE(Wally @ Jul 11 2007, 07:19 PM) *

QUOTE(Suzu Fujibayashi @ Jul 11 2007, 04:30 PM) *

I think that is "thousand" and "leaf/leaves." I probably should have stuck with French.

I thought "Millefeuilles" was "thousand sheets" in that context. It's a multi-layer puff-pastry type of... well... cake (unless I have my pastries confused). That's probably why they changed it to "Gateau" because that's French for "cake." Both words are just about two syllables, so it's not like there's any real difference in speaking length. The problem might first have been because it's a lot of letters regardless, and GBA screens only have so much text room; then there might have been the slight issue of pronunciation when it came to voice-overs.

Now I really ought to dig up my PSP and go buy a copy before I drive myself nuts trying to do some sort of dissertation on why they changed Cierra's name for Rose when I'm not actually fluent in French. (I'm working on it, but I'm not.)
aerozero
They didn't change the name, VGK just posted the Japanese names and English names alongside each other for us to compare.
H. Tsukiyono
Er, I meant dub-wise--oh, bah. I totally misphrased that anyway. >.> I'm still stuck on RiviGBA. That's probably why I went off on that whole totally useless tangent. Sorry. ^^;;
Feral Phoenix
The actual NAME of the dessert is Millefeuille (NO S ON THE END!); the exact translation is "thousand-sheet"; it's a delicate pastry, like Tsukiyono says. Atlus cannot spell. In addition, it is usually pronounced "meel-fee" (although the picky French pronunciation is "meel-foy", emphasis on the y at the end), so Cierra pronounces it correctly in the Japanese recordings. It's actually a popular name for characters, especially in anime/manga/games where the people's names are food-related. (And yes, they taught us that in French class.)

And I like it a lot better than Gateau, because Gateau is misleading. It's a masculine noun. Rose is assumed to be an "it" until a certain ending of the game, so naming her Millefeuille (which is feminine) can be taken as a reference to her true gender.

Yeah, Feral needs to shut up.
Xel
I always thought that Gateau was a joke that Atlus did when translating the names. The pronunciation of Gateau is very similar to a portuguese word, "Gato", which means cat.
Raijinili
I thought Sting had the "s" at the end.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.