Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Security
Lacrima Castle > Technology and Entertainment > Computeralogical Stuff
Irysa
So, after a rather nasty brush with a potential Keylogger this morning on WoWEurope, I've been thinking about net security. Currently I'm using Comodo Firewall, Hitman Pro ( a great collection of free antispyware programs that are run all through this single one ), and AVG. I'm considering changing AVG to Avast, but it doesn't seem that much different aside from the GUI.

So anyway, what software do you use? Any recommendations?
Dr Strum
I do not use any security software.
Irysa
I find that hard to believe.
Dr Strum
I don't. If I wasn't forced to, I wouldn't even set a password on my computer.
Irysa
Not even a firewall? I suppose you can get by with no antivirus and antispyware if you're careful...
Dr Strum
Nope. I have my firewalls disabled.
Irysa
Again, hard to believe. I suppose I have no reason to not believe you though.
Rhiannon
You have to keep in mind that he's using Windows.
Irysa
So am I...?
Rhiannon
I mean, I was saying that to Sturm.
Irysa
Macs are infinitely more secure than windows, but isn't a Firewall still a good idea?
Dr Strum
If you think you have something on your computer worth protecting, and you know what you're doing... But neither of those fits me.
Irysa
Music isn't worth protecting?
Dr Strum
I buy physical copies for a reason.
Irysa
It saves having to burn it all again, is what I meant. It wasn't exactly a quick job to burn all your files back in once your last PC frazzled.
Dr Strum
Burn? When did I burn them?
Irysa
Rip. Sorry.
Dr Strum
You're right. I still haven't finished. But no firewall would have saved me, because it was a harddrive breakdown. Essentially, only the first twenty gigabytes of eighty can be used.
Irysa
I wasn't trying to imply that a Firewall would have saved you, I'm just giving of examples of even in your case, with physical copies of music, its surely worth protecting?
chrishawke
I'm just giving of examples of even in your case, with physical copies of music, its surely worth protecting?

You don't need a firewall for that.
Irysa
I know you don't. But its not necessarily NOT going to help either.
chrishawke
What?
Raijinili
Macs are less likely to catch viruses because Windows viruses affect more people, so they're much more likely to be written.
Takeru-kun
So it's really a big question whether Mac security is really superior to Windows, or it's just that there's a lack of interest in Mac.

I'm not using anything either, but if it counts, there's a firewall in my router that I never disable. Hassle opening up ports though, so every now and then I put it on the DMZ.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.