Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tales of Symphonia OVA
Lacrima Castle > Technology and Entertainment > Entertainment - Other Forms > Anime and Manga
chrishawke
Article Link

Seems like Ufotable, some group I didn't bother to look up, is releasing a four-part OVA starting on June 8th. A few shots of the upcoming OVA are in the link above.

I don't know about this, although the art direction in the pictures look pretty neat. Thoughts anyone?
Suzu Fujibayashi
I been wanting to see the ToS OVA since I saw the ToP OVA <3

I hope they keep the same seiryuus... <.<
Rune_Ocarina
Noobish question, but what's OVA, it's been killing me to know.

But this is awesome, I almost forgot about this. But is it going to be a whole series show or a 4 part 30 minute showing some of the major points in the ToS game?
Suzu Fujibayashi
It'll probably be like the ToP OVA and just have the key parts of the show. ToP OVA was good, just needed more Suzu dammit D<

And I forgot what OVA meant now =/
aerozero
OVA stands for Original Video Animation

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Original_Video_Animation (dunno how reliable this is but whatever >_>)
Martel
The trailer was fun to watch~ xD I'm looking forward to this, considering I'm a huge ToS fan and all!

See the official website for it!
Leyviur
I'm dreading this OVA, for two reasons.

First, the ToP OVA was fucking horrible. It condensed a rather well-told 30 hour story into 2 hours, and it was terribly done. The characters weren't fleshed out, the story made no sense if you've never played the game, and the only thing good about it was the animation, which leads into my second reason.

This is being done by the people who did the Disgaea anime, which was a complete piece of shit and waste of time.
aerozero
I thought the Disgaea anime was kind of funny, I only watched the first couple of episode though and I never played the game before.

I watched the first 5 minutes of the ToP OVA, got bored, and moved on with my life. If the ToS OVA gets dubbed, I hope they find a new voice actor for the main character, I kept thinking about Batman and Robin the entire time I was playing the game and hearing his voice.
Feral Phoenix
I liked Lloyd's voice actor...
Suzu Fujibayashi
I do too... His Japanese one has this really nasel-y voice that is kinda annoying.

It seems likely they'd use the same voice actors that played them in the game, otherwise you'd get inconsistent voices... It'd be like playing a game, the sequel comes out and everyone has a new actor... It's... Odd...
Feral Phoenix
I've never listened to the Japanese cast... I just liked his English voice. :o

And yes, I agree with you on the changing voices thing. It was a pain in the butt that they had to go and change several cast members in the Saiyuki anime when Reload came out. :P
aerozero
I agree, Lloyd's Japanese actor wasn't good as well, he sounded too old.

I have nothing against Lloyd's English actor, he does his job well, it's just that I'm always reminded of Robin from Batman whenever I hear his voice, and I start thinking about that instead of ToS. >_>
Yuka
Aero, if I may be so kind as to answer why you think of Robin, a friend once upon a time did some research on the voice actor for Lloyd and found out he does the voice of Robin in some show on Cartoon Network. The name slips my mind at the moment.
aerozero
So they do have the same voice actors...
Suzu Fujibayashi
Lots of the ToS voice actors/actresses stared in many other games/movies... Some of my more favorites is Colette's voice actress played Miyuki in Xenosaga and Sheena plays Samus Aran in Metroid Prime 2... ^^

So they are all pretty well known in fact.
Yuka
Samus had actual spoken lines in MP2? Or was it just grunts and squeels?
TaylorGS
*revives topic* ... DER. @_O

The second episode is supposed to come out sometime this month, or has it already come out?

That being said, I'll ramble on about the first episode...

I'm worried about the pacing. The first episode ended with Lloyd leaving Iselia. HUH?! I mean, I dunno... That's barely any of the game, and that filled up one out of four episodes. If not enough things get cut out then, well... Okay, my worry about the pacing is that, what if the story gets condensed so that the Tethe'alla characters are cut out? Sure, Regal and Presea weren't vital to the main story, they just supported it, but... Zelos, being Tethe'alla's chosen and all, and Sheena, being, well... the summoner seem extremely important. ._.

And Dirk I thought looked, well... Like this crazy monster. Not like Dirk at all. Cwazy muscles. o_O;
... I almost did laugh when he went against Forcystus with a hammer. Then I got frustrated because it wasn't like that in the game at all, of course. o.o;

However, that's not to say I didn't like everything in the first episode. For starters, there was KratosI DON'T KNOW JAPANESE BUT I LIKE TO PRETEND I DO!. Isn't that enough to make the OVA awesome? xP

I had mixed feelings on Lloyd's tech attacks. At least there were tech attacks (since Cless didn't have any AT ALL in ToP's OVA) but... I dunno. While I thought it was good that there was an emphasis placed on pointing out that Lloyd got power from his exsphere, I thought it was... overly exaggerated?
FlameSpark
There's also a ToS OVA Bonus (that comes with the Limited Edition DVD), where Kratos, when compared with the ep1 of the OVA, has more than one line!! lol

A few things are explained in that Bonus, with a bit of comedy on the side...Kratos acting like a teacher...wierd. *twitch*
TaylorGS
I thought KratosI DON'T KNOW JAPANESE BUT I LIKE TO PRETEND I DO! blowing up the school with Judgment was awesomely funneh though. n_n
TaylorGS
*can't find edit button*

That's just cold, the word filter-changer thing. I at least looked up what honorifics are in Tsubasa. >_<
Feral Phoenix
Ash is just biased against romaji like that. A lot of us think it's idiotic, but there's nothing we can do about it.

You can still use actual hiragana, katakana, and kanji in your posts, though. I guess that counts as "knowing" Japanese enough for him.

I'm sad that I still haven't managed to see the ToS OVA. DD: I've seen lots of screencaps and such and think it's really cute, but if they're planning on just doing a four- or five-episode thing like the Phantasia OVA, then they're either going to have to take stuff from different points in the game or just cover most of the Sylvarant part. Everyone knows that a two-disc game isn't going to get crunched into a handful of episodes, after all... D:

And, yes. I, too, would like to see the rest of the party get involved. Like Sheena. And Presea. And have I mentioned Presea. D: Each of the characters has an equal amount of having to do with the plot (except Colette and Lloyd and Kratos of course, since things center around them quite a bit~).
Suzu Fujibayashi
Yes it's only 4 episodes like the ToP OVA, which means as with the ToP OVA things will be cut out, you'll see magic time skips (Like ToP ep1 suddenly jumps right to the Battle of the Valhalla Plains... Oh and that Mint's mother died waaaaai sooner...)

Which of course worries me. I mean, ToP didn't even touch on Suzu AT ALL. WHICH ANNOYS ME. SUZU > ToP CAST /rant
Hopefully they'll be able to pace this right but still really... Cramming a 40+ hour game into 2 hours is not an easy task by any means... And here I hear their is going to a Disgaea anime that'll be many, many, many episodes.

*Shrug* I haven't seen any of this OVA yet so I have no opinion on it.
Leyviur
QUOTE(Feral Phoenix @ Aug 6 2007, 06:34 PM) *
Ash is just biased against romaji like that. A lot of us think it's idiotic, but there's nothing we can do about it.

You can still use actual hiragana, katakana, and kanji in your posts, though. I guess that counts as "knowing" Japanese enough for him.

No, only you think it's idiotic. Nobody else has whined at all about this. You're the only one before TaylorGS came along. I'm not biased against romaji. I'm biased against people who use Japanese pretending to have fluency in it.

And no, you can't. If you have then I just missed it; you've missed the point of my putting in the filter in the first place - because this is an ENGLISH site where we speak ENGLISH. Using actual Japanese constitutes as word filter evasion and will put you in an even worse position than before.

QUOTE(TaylorGS @ Aug 6 2007, 01:18 AM) *

That's just cold, the word filter-changer thing. I at least looked up what honorifics are in Tsubasa. >_<

You're the exact type of person that caused the word filter to be put in in the first place.
Raijinili
QUOTE(Feral)
A lot of us think it's idiotic...
Four people is not a lot. And some of us who actually grew up with Asian languages find it offensive that you would use Asian honorifics in English.
TaylorGS
QUOTE(Leyviur @ Aug 6 2007, 09:37 PM) *

You're the exact type of person that caused the word filter to be put in in the first place.

Okay, got it. *writes memo to self* I apologize for not reading the rules well enough. I never meant to offend anyone. I will to read over the forum rules promptly. =]

Now to be back on topic... ^^;

Supposedly, the next episodes will come out...:
2ne episode: August 10th
3rd episode: October 24th
4th episode: December 21st

In other words, the second one will be released very soon! Yayz! =D
Suzu Fujibayashi
So if it comes out tomorrow... It'll maybe take like a week for it to get over here with subs? >>
Depends on how determined a subbing group is I suppose.
SyphonVectorman
The first one came fast, I guess. o:
Neon_the_Chao
Back to the voice actors, Cam Clarke, voice of English Kratos, was the perfect voice for him. Does he do the Japanese Kratos as well?

Oh and a funny fun fact:
Cam Clarke also does Charizard's voice in Super Smash Bros. Brawl.
jcdietz03
Cam Clarke does a lot of voice work for the Tales series.

Check out his IMDB entry.
Neon_the_Chao
That's amazing!

He's my new favorite voice actor!

I wonder if I could ever meet him and maybe get his autograph?
Xephyr
QUOTE(Sauce XIV @ Feb 27 2007, 10:51 PM) *

Samus had actual spoken lines in MP2? Or was it just grunts and squeels?
She did not, just when she was hit (Ugh!) and when she was killed (Uwaaaaahhhhh!).

As for the ToS OVA, I've seen the episodes as well as a few of the actual series episodes (Only on an iPod podcast, unfortunately), and they're pretty good. I'd like to get a DVD (Or a free download.... Hee hee hee) but I can never find it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.