Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Microsoft set to be fined $2.4m a day..
Lacrima Castle > Technology and Entertainment > Computeralogical Stuff
Pages: 1, 2
Rosetta
Apparently, because MS failed to comply with a court order from the EU, they are going to be fined 2.4 million dollars a DAY until they comply.
Dr Strum
Chump change to them.
They probably make a hundred times that each day.
:/
Rosetta
2.4M a day, plus 100 more million every so often adds up. That's over 1 billion a year, plus all these other lawsuits against them recently..
Swiyth
yeow!!

if i had that much money, i'd spend it on hot dogs and cheese.

dang, it sounds just like MS to be ultimately defiant.

like kids, you know? spoilt brats and the like.
chrishawke
At least some other rich people will be making some money.
Rosetta
Remember the old saying, "People often do only what they can get away with"?
Swiyth
not a clue.

but people only do what they can get away with, so they won't get into trouble?

but i guess this isn't the case
Rosetta
I should probably go further into WHY they're getting fined. The EU got a COurt order telling Microsoft to open up their server softwares and such to be compatible with their competition. To this day, MS has not made a single attempt to do so, which violates a court order, thus the fines.
Swiyth
ah. dirty little green men ._.
Rosetta
MS still hasn't said if they'll comply with the court order or not =/
Swiyth
they would rather waste it in court than help the needy? absolutely stupid.

well, i'm one of the needy, if you ask me :P
Rosetta
Well, i've never liked their business practises, though they do give to charity quite often.
Swiyth
the way they work reminds me of Ashton >_>
blues
I hope you guys get what you are looking for out of this court order.
Rosetta
All i'm looking for is MS finally realizing they can't do whatever the hell they want with their competition, and those 'below' them.
blues
Ah I see, more power to you.
Rosetta
After all, monopolization is illegal, and anyone can see they're a monopoly.
blues
I think they are beyond that...
Swiyth
they are pretty close to that. they get anything banned as long as anyone 'stole' it or if they don't agree with the terms of agreements that other countries set.

...or if anyone read the rules.
blues
Someone needs to "stick it to the man".
Rosetta
I do all the time. I actually am in charge of a group that protects the rights and freedoms of people's computer hardware, software, and internet capabilities. If someone (in this case, Microsoft) tries something stupid, we're right there opposing it, and getting the real facts out.
blues
and...How are you doing this?
Rosetta
I spread awareness, hand out fliers about it, and attend meetings that have to do with stuff like that.
Swiyth
indeed. i hope one day they stop going "THIS IS MY COPYWRIGHT!! MIIIIIINE!! YOU CAN'T TOUCH IT, BITCHES!!"

somein like that. seriously. they have to stop doing that. if their products weren't that good, they'd be blasted straight out of the sky.
Dr Strum
Every company does that, in case you didn't notice.
Swiyth
not as bad as MS, they don't. i'd like to see SE sue me just cause i drew Sora and posted him on the site without their names all over it.
Dr Strum
That's different. That's not copyright infringement since you're not making money off of it.
Swiyth
ah? okay then.

anyways, Microsoft should really just soften up more. they don't own the whole computing world.

well, they almost do, but thats not the point!!!

point is, they're too darn selfish and money hogging.
Rosetta
Actually Sturm..some palces can and will sue for something as little as that, even if there's no money to be gained.
Swiyth
...they will?

mind if you told me those places? i wouldn't wanna be drawing fan art there and suddenly three FBIs arrest me cause i Copywright infringed without even knowing it.

but still, that sounds silly.
Dr Strum
Give an example of a lawsuit involving a non-profit recreation/duplication of a copyrighted item.
Rosetta
It's happening with the RIAA, MPAA, etc. You haven't heard of the websites with free, non profit song lyrics and guitar tabs, being shut down, and the owners being considered for jail time?
Swiyth
what?! thats insane!!!
Dr Strum
That's different. The obfuscated DMCA muddies everything.
Rosetta
Yet, the copyright information of the original artists and such were there, which the DMCA requires to make a site 'appropriate' enough to display the content, if I recall correctly.
Swiyth
hmm........where did that happen? and when? i've never heard or seen it on the news
Rosetta
What! You haven't heard about this? A few popular sites have been shut down, and the recording corporation representitives made a comment about that the owners of the sites should have jail time.
Swiyth
oh man....that sucks.

i don't think people should even be jailed to post lyrics when its not even a crime or harmful.
Leyviur
BLAH BLAH BLAH MS IS CORRUPT AND EVIL EVEN THOUGH THEY DONATE MILLIONS OF DOLLARS TO CHARITY.

Jesus, some of you kids don't know anything and just spout off conspiracy or 'go against the big guys' because it's 'cool' or 'hip.' It's not cool or hip, it's fucking retarded. I wish some of you would get a God damn clue before you start spouting utter bullshit from your pie holes. Get on the clue train, already, morons.
Rosetta
Exucse me, I was talking about Microsoft's BUSINESS PRACTISES. Their donations to charity have nothing to do with it.
Swiyth
man, you must really like getting angry, thus your avatar....

well, anyways, we don't "go against the big guys" cause its "cool" or "hip". i barely even godamn care about coolness or hip trends.

for one, MS has been making a fuss about EVERY single thing that might threaten it. piracy, Terms and Conditions, this that this that. okay, piracy, i get it. no one should have their hard earned stuff stole from them. but then, look at the cases of South Korea where they threatened not to allow MS products to be shipped there because of some stupid terms and agreements.

yeah, fine, this might not even be true. but heck, really.

besides. we don't sound like that.
Leyviur
Well, let's say you were working for Microsoft. Would you rather them be less 'evil' at the price of you possibly being laid off, or vice versa?

Yeah, that's what I thought.
Rosetta
I do know what you mean, Leyviur. However, like Swiyth explains, I too am not doing it to be 'cool' or 'hip'. Nothing is black and white, just many shades of grey.
Swiyth
its not really about being 'evil' and us being laid off in the process.

its about not being so uptight about their stuff.

man, they're like parents. "no soda, no jumping on the bed, no going out, no football" nag nag nag nag nag nag nag nag.

just replace parents with MS and no with shpping and blah blah blah with every other country.
Leyviur
Yes, except you complain about Microsoft because it's a big company. These things happen in small companies too but nobody gives a damn because they're small. Microsoft's huge and that's why anything and everything they do is "OMG CORRUPT" "OMG LAWS" "OMG MONOPOLY" while anything just as bad or worse done by a small company is acceptable because they're 'the underdog.' Then the small company becomes big and the process repeats all over again.
Swiyth
no, we complain because we're using it and alot of people do. and them being so uptight about the only option of functional and common hardware because of their practices can lead to quite alot of inconvenience to people in a country.

i'm not talking about them being solely the evil ones. but like i've said a thousand times and once, that they are too damn freaking screwed up and tight about who gets what and what goes with who.
Rosetta
Have I ever complained about Microsoft just because it exists? No. I am stating my viewpoint on specific cases that concern them, because frankly, I do not like their decisions when it comes to business, and I have a right to not like it and state my views on the matter. You're free to not like it, but I would appreciate it if you didn't leap at our throats. If you want to have a discussion about an issue,, fine, we'll have a discussion about it. Lighten up a little, thank you.
blues
QUOTE (Kohaku @ Dec 28 2005, 07:33 AM)
I spread awareness, hand out fliers about it, and attend meetings that have to do with stuff like that.

Oh I see... I usually don't take my drawings outside the house.
Raijinili
These things happen in small companies too but nobody gives a damn because they're small.

If they were any good at it, they wouldn't be small. :/

if their products weren't that good, they'd be blasted straight out of the sky.

Microsoft has contracts, which is why Windows is included with so many computers. And in turn, since Windows is so common, programmers find it easier to only program for Windows, which in turn makes Mac and Linux uncompatible with many programs so people need Windows to run their favorite programs.
blues
Oh so true.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.