Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Pros and Cons of Yggdra Union
Lacrima Castle > Sting Games > Yggdra Union
Pages: 1, 2
DragonKnight Jason
Warning: This maybe somewhat of a spoiler for some people, but i doubt it

Yggdra Union is a pretty awesome game for GBA, one of the best I must admit, heres what's good about it...

- Nice artwork and animation on the character faces and sprites
- Plently of Cards to choose from to make strategies even deeper
- Awesome character classes (what could be better than dragons and undines?)
- Strategic gameplay and an original battle system

Although I was dissapointed with the game somewhat....

- Linear gameplay, you are playing the same maps consecutively, you have to follow the story completely, I want to be able to do some optional maps where I could get a few extra exp but I have to play the "next map" all the time, maybe a random dungeon would help?
- More characters please, for the majority of the time you are playing with the same 4 or 5 characters when there are other cool classes out there to be played, it frustrates me
- Extras and secrets are somewhat mediocre I mean a couple secret characters and a few secret cards with those extra item lists etc just aren't enough to get me to keep coming back to the game

Overall I give Yggdra Union an 8/10 if it had more of the above it would definately be a 10 but still lacking of what I like, your opinions on my opinions would be nice to hear.
Dr Strum
- More characters please, for the majority of the time you are playing with the same 4 or 5 characters when there are other cool classes out there to be played, it frustrates me

Like what? The only classes you don't really get are just specialized/generic versions of ones you have, and then The Ancient and the final boss.
DragonKnight Jason
I probably should have been more specific, but what I mean is by the time I get the character class I want its already near the end of the game and almost have no use for it. (Talking about the stray dragon of course) and for the first aprox. 20 battles you'll be using the same character classes with hardly any choice of who to put out. Hence the linear gameplay.
Dr Strum
I'm pretty sure the definition of linear game play is where you cannot choose how to play the game. Which you can in YU. Starting at BF7, the equipment and cards actually matter, in BF11A/B you'll finally start being forced to choose which characters to bring (not BF20 as you so egregiously exaggerated), and the choice in BF10 is... Well, a choice. Not to mention items you can and cannot get are often factored based on how well you play; your TRP and if you've ever retried and such.
DragonKnight Jason
"Hardly any choice" meaning off by 1 or 2 units. Meh mayb im being a little too hard because im kinda comparing it to Fire Emblem in a way. .....Another idea of mine is that you should draw cards instead of pick them, which I thought was the system of it when I bought the game as it makes more sense, yet of course some people would disgree.

Linear as in forced to do a specific map time after time is the main idea of what I'm trying to say in Yggdra Union, I would like it better if I were to have some sort of option towards where I travel/get exp.
Dr Strum
So you're complaining about story linearity?
DragonKnight Jason
I guess you could say that, but I suppose im not as compelled to the story as you, I find it more fun to explore and level up before a "story-related fight" because it makes me feel more prepared for the battle. Now I just purposely use up all my cards so I can get the extra exp after Retrying a couple times. Which i'snt too fun in this case, but its how I roll with video games.

Like I said this an opinion, when your taking it as a complaint, I like Yggdra Union - I dont hate it.
Dr Strum
Opinion's are the basis of complaints.
And where did I make any mention of being "compelled" by the the story?
DragonKnight Jason
"not as compelled" was the entire statement meaning that you are probably more interested in the story then me. I did not directly say that you were compelled.

Although you are right about the opinion as to complaints.
Seve
Personally, I found character amount and all that fine. I just would have liked if there had been a little more interaction than besides before and after each new battlefield, and maybe some more CGs.
Lord Jim
It's true, that while the general plot is interesting, it has limited character interaction and development.
Someone
I see what your saying about training your units before moving on. But I see more why this game was made to not let you do that.

If for example there was a random dungeon, like a BF 0 or something like that, that you could do over and over. You could just raise your cards way to high since raising the cards is relitivly easy compared to raising the character.

Example : card has 1000 when you go to BF3
Now add the points you get for doing the random dungeon a couple of times
card has 2000 when you enter the same BF3

regarding the system of leveling. It's much to much soft of a leving system for a random dungeon. all enemies in this random dungeon would atleast give 1 point to the leveling otherwise the random dungeon would be pointless. If you look at the leveling bar at really low levels you oly need around 20 or so. Talk about having a huge edge on an opponent if you go and fight a bunch of level 3's when your level 7.
Desu
If you want to level up, just retry a battlefield with lots of enemies...although that is not necessary. Retrying is not really good
level
ya true lal if u lose and restart the battlefield you give up MVP for that
battlefield entirely
Desu
But good experience building...
Yuka
Really, like others have already pointed out, the game would be ridiculously easy if there was a random dungeon for you to level up in. I personally find the story for YU enthralling, and only would seem to get old after a few gamesplays through, which is basically all you need to get everything.

- Linear gameplay, you are playing the same maps consecutively,

The greatest lie I've ever seen on the website, which goes to show you obviously don't pay attention to the map details.

I mean a couple secret characters

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

DragonKnight Jason
This post has obviously disturbed some people, most likely because they take it too seriously and are not getting what I am trying to say.

Playing the same maps consecutively--->If you were to play the game through a second time, you would be playing absolutly the same maps you played through the first time, hence you have no options for exploration, and the game has a linear feel to it.

It is also obvious that if there was a random dungeon the game would be too easy, due to the games experiance system, you would have insane cards powers. But of course that doesn't mean they could make an exeption with the system for battles in random dungeons.

-_-' Im sure your not yet satisfied, yet I knew this topic would be amusing due to some of you diehard fans who take it seriously and really want to proove me wrong but I know d*** well what I'm saying.
Raijinili
QUOTE(DragonKnight Jason)
but I know d*** well what I'm saying.
For once, I'm tempted to agree with this.
Someone
QUOTE(DragonKnight Jason @ Dec 15 2006, 10:35 PM) *

This post has obviously disturbed some people, most likely because they take it too seriously and are not getting what I am trying to say.

Playing the same maps consecutively--->If you were to play the game through a second time, you would be playing absolutly the same maps you played through the first time, hence you have no options for exploration, and the game has a linear feel to it.

It is also obvious that if there was a random dungeon the game would be too easy, due to the games experiance system, you would have insane cards powers. But of course that doesn't mean they could make an exeption with the system for battles in random dungeons.

-_-' Im sure your not yet satisfied, yet I knew this topic would be amusing due to some of you diehard fans who take it seriously and really want to proove me wrong but I know d*** well what I'm saying.

What? Of course if you played through the game again you'd have the same maps. That's the case with all video games. Youre saying you want all video games to be a diffrent game when you restart them.
DragonKnight Jason
Almost every RPG has some secret areas YU as far as i know has...dunno 1?

What I'm saying is it'd be nice if YU had some other option instead of "Next Map" (i.e. shop, arena, dungeon)
As it would be a nice improvement.

-->What is up with people quoting everything I say, do they think it emphasizes their point or makes them smart, I just don't get it, if you want to quote me, quote what you disagree with.
Dr Strum
QUOTE(DragonKnight Jason @ Dec 17 2006, 03:36 PM) *
Almost every RPG has some secret areas YU as far as i know has...dunno 1?

Three secret cards, a secret level, at least four levels with secret sections of the map, more than half of the items must be located by picking them up in random spots, etc.

What I'm saying is it'd be nice if YU had some other option instead of "Next Map" (i.e. shop, arena, dungeon)
As it would be a nice improvement.

I don't think so. Think of it from a story perspective, you're rushing to take back the kingdom, do you really have time to go to a random dungeon and kill rats?

-->What is up with people quoting everything I say, do they think it emphasizes their point or makes them smart, I just don't get it, if you want to quote me, quote what you disagree with.

Not everyone understands how quotes work, but they want to make it obvious who they are responding to. You do not need to attack people.
Raijinili
Not a random dungeon, but an opportunity to relax in an inn or something. Talk with the folks.

But you already do that in battle. IN BATTLE...
DragonKnight Jason
Relax in inn in or something?, yeah well when I'm playing YU I'm not rlly too relaxed I find myself rushing in case I run out of cards or some sort of thing pops up to make me use up my turns.

Don't you hate it when you have to get all your units to a check point all of a sudden? I use a lot of power cards so this kills me. Happened to me twice n I had to restart the whole thing. That has got to be the most frustrating moment I have ever had when I lose due to running out of cards, well that and the 1 time these witches got 3 straight critical hits on Milanor....Good times...Good Times... (thats being sarcastic)
Rhiannon
Not a random dungeon, but an opportunity to relax in an inn or something. Talk with the folks.

But you already do that in battle. IN BATTLE...

Of course, Rai... Yggdra has to have smooth skin if she's going to be with important people. :O
Someone
QUOTE(DragonKnight Jason @ Dec 18 2006, 09:35 PM) *

Don't you hate it when you have to get all your units to a check point all of a sudden? I use a lot of power cards so this kills me. Happened to me twice n I had to restart the whole thing. That has got to be the most frustrating moment I have ever had when I lose due to running out of cards.

Isn't that a totally diffrent complaint?

When they were talking about the inn, they meant between the stages. or between sections. ( when I say sections I mean 1-1 is a diff. section then 1-2 )

You saw in the dessert they restocked in the towns. I wouldn't mind a place inside the inn just to cool off. But hey.... there's already a place where Yggdra cools off....
DragonKnight Jason
Everything you say is a good point Sturm, although I am not saying that it has to be in there, because of course it would come with a logically necessary consequence due to it's system and story, which is why this has cause so much controversy. Just saying that it's fun to have those things in a game, because that's my style of gameplay.

So yes you are right, however I'm just adding suggestions that would make it more to my liking.
Yuka
QUOTE(DragonKnight Jason @ Dec 19 2006, 04:44 PM) *

... although I am not saying that it has to be in there, because of course it would come with a logically necessary consequence due to it's system and story, which is why this has cause so much controversy. Just saying that it's fun to have those things in a game, because that's my style of gameplay.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if it is your style of gameplay, how exactly is it supposed to be fun for the rest of us if you put in these things you're suggesting? Just thought about pointing that out.

QUOTE(DragonKnight Jason @ Dec 19 2006, 04:44 PM) *

So yes you are right, however I'm just adding suggestions that would make it more to my liking.

See above.

They make the game the way it is because they think the MAJORITY of the people like it that way. Sure, there'll be people who disagree, and wish things were done differently, but games are to cater to the majority, not the individual. If games were made for every single individual, we'd not have any really good discussions about games.
DragonKnight Jason
I would think the majority of people would like an extra option at the save screen. Am I wrong?, because that's hard to believe. If YU had extra stuff like I explained in the previous posts I believe YU would have a lot more "active fansites".
Desu
Well, I like the game just as it is...
Dr Strum
QUOTE(DragonKnight Jason @ Dec 20 2006, 06:31 AM) *

I would think the majority of people would like an extra option at the save screen. Am I wrong?, because that's hard to believe. If YU had extra stuff like I explained in the previous posts I believe YU would have a lot more "active fansites".

"Extras" do not make fansites. Ridiculous popularity does.
DragonKnight Jason
But having more extras and secrets gives people a lot more to talk about and will attract people who seek information on those extras and secrets,

And yes YU does have extras and secrets, but not as much as other tactical RPG's. FFT is definatly something I was drawn to, as I found out there were actually lots of secrets I had missed after beating the game. As I found a couple secret areas and characaters more poped up, it was a thrill.
Dr Strum
FFT has maybe three secret characters and a secret dungeon (and a battlefield for each of the characters). YU tops that.
DragonKnight Jason
thats what I thought but I found out another secret area after another. If you played it, the secret characters that I got are (Beowolf, Worker 8 (or 7 w/e i cant remember), Reis (Dragon Breath Chick), Cloud (off of FF7), this monster called an Apanada (In Deep Dungeon), ah I the rest. Deep Dungeon provides like an extra 9 areas and theres like 7 consecutive secret areas following after when you go to the Goug City I believe, and of course the super-secret items like Clould's Materia blade on the top of Bervenia Volcano, and A fake holy stone. Apparently in the JAP version theres minigames for collecting specific items from bar jobs.

FFT had a very compelling story, about chivalry and knighthood which was just awesome.
Dr Strum
FFT's story was hardly compelling, and if you think it was about "knighthood and chivalry," I think you need to go replay it now that you've grown up a bit.
Raijinili
Five secret characters, ten DD levels, one or two other optional battlefields. But then there's also the Super Monster Battle.
Dr Strum
Regardless; is it the bonuses that make people talk about FFT? No.
Raijinili
Of course it is. Every single person bought the game because they thought Cloud was in it.
jcdietz03
The best things about the game are:
Original? Story - Well, a story about a girl who lost her kingdom in a war-torn land and has to win it back doesn't seem too original to me. But I enjoyed it anway.
Original Battle System - Pretty much nothing like it.

Things that need improving:
The speed at which damage is dealt during the close combat phase needs to be settable. Read: Clash damage is dealt WAY TOO SLOWLY. I think I'd like it if it was twice as fast. This would also mean the charge, rage, and aggressive gauges charge/discharge twice as fast, which would be fine.
Skill animations take WAY TOO LONG. Turning them off, or switching to a short version animation needs to be a settable option.
Yuka
QUOTE(jcdietz03 @ Aug 17 2007, 09:51 PM) *

The best things about the game are:
Original? Story - Well, a story about a girl who lost her kingdom in a war-torn land and has to win it back doesn't seem too original to me. But I enjoyed it anway.

Um, the storyline of the game goes beyond the first 17 battlefields, alright? Go back and play the game if you doubt me.

Things that need improving:
The speed at which damage is dealt during the close combat phase needs to be settable. Read: Clash damage is dealt WAY TOO SLOWLY. I think I'd like it if it was twice as fast. This would also mean the charge, rage, and aggressive gauges charge/discharge twice as fast, which would be fine.

What?

Skill animations take WAY TOO LONG. Turning them off, or switching to a short version animation needs to be a settable option.

YU skill animations are very short in my opinion. If you want proof, go look at some skill animations from that of Disgaea or Phantom Brave.
jcdietz03
I guess I'm used to playing fire emblem w/ no animations.

The animations in that game take way too long too - but you can turn them off.

Also, I like no animations in Riviera because they also take too long.

Also, the final fantasy summons take too long. I like than in FF10, you can choose short version animations for them.

About the clash damage thing: When you're in a clash, in the close combat phase, (After the charge and counterattack) both the enemy and you deal damage to each other based on a number of factors. This is clash damage. I am trying to say that the rate at which clash damage is dealt needs to be increased for both sides, so combats resolve quicker.
Yuka
Four words to answer the clash thing: Emulation and fast forward.
Suzu Fujibayashi
I'd rather want clash damage to not seem so random... I know how it basically works, more big stars = attack quicker, but I'd be nice to see maybe like a health gauge or... Something... *Shrug*
Feral Phoenix
Watching you guys go back and forth like that is making my head hurt. @_@~~

Most of the people who've posted stuff in here have good points. YU has a great cast and a good storyline (even if in the first few chapters it is a bit linear and predictable), but it felt a bit to me like it sacrificed the kind of character development that made Riviera so much fun (since that game felt too short to me, and its story was waaaay too by-the-numbers). It has great extras and trying to fill up your item collection can be both fun and frustrating, though it hasn't got the replay value of Riviera, not quite as many extras as FFT, and none of its limited sidequests (item quests, really) are anywhere near as epic as sidequests can get, like in FFVII or Legend of Legaia. It has pluses, but those can seem like constraints to some people.

Really, it all boils down to matters of opinion.
Yuka
Except FFVII was too overrated, and all the sidequests in FFVII that were worth doing weren't worth doing when you could do them.
Suzu Fujibayashi
Although Feral brings up a nice point:
I'd kill for like a Yggdra Union with an extended storyline to get into more character development. The characters themselves have more development then say, the legion of one man armies you get in Fire Emblem, but a huge chunk of them is forever going to be unknown...

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «
Rhiannon
I have reason to believe you will soon get the answers you seek.
Yuka
YZ anyone?
Suzu Fujibayashi
YZ? Have I not been informed about something here? *Shifty look*
Rhiannon
It seems so.

http://blog5.fc2.com/jajanote/

That is a developer's blog. This person was involved in Yggdra Union. Most of the entries in the blog are about a game in development that's code named YZ. I see Yggdra (but maybe it's not her) and the Gran Centurio a lot.
Suzu Fujibayashi
Ahhh that, I vaguely remember that and after posting I wondered if that was it... That'd be nice. If it's a sort of 'sequal' or 'extended' version of YU.
As long as it's not on the PSP. If it's on that, I'm srly gonna have to cry and wait for other people to beat it and tell me everything I need to know.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.