Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Top five favourite games of all time
Lacrima Castle > Technology and Entertainment > Other Games
Dr Strum
Simple. Post your top five favourite games of all time (Riviera is implied since you're here, so avoid listing it), and WHY they are your favorite games.

Mine (unordered):
  • Sonic The Hedgehog 2 (GEN)
    I loved the first Sonic, and then this one came along and blew it away. Faster Sonic, larger, more diverse levels, bigger bosses and multiplayer. One of the earliest games I remember playing as well.
  • Frequency (PS2)
    A music game, although Frequency is really indescribable. But any game that can put me into a trance with fast, rhythmic button mashing, beautiful visuals and great sound is a good game (and the multiplayer was insane).
  • Advance Wars (GBA)
    My first Turn Based Stratey game, and probably one of the most balanced strategy games I've ever played. Great animation, likeable characters, some really difficult gameplay, and fun music makes for a game I keep playing, years after its release, and the release of the not-as-good sequels.
  • Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages/Seasons (GBC)
    Not my first Zelda, but the first one(s) I beat. I collected every ring, every weapon, every heartpiece and beat EVERY mini-game in Seasons and Ages. The bosses were fun, the puzzles were great (and many of the Ages puzzles involving lots of time travelling were downright maddening), and if you beat one game, you can link it up to the other to continue and get a different final boss. To COMPLETELY beat it, you had to play through each game four times (eg, eight times total). Hmm, maybe I oughta' go play through again...
  • Feel the Magic: XY/XX (DS)
    A recent game, sure, but I spent months on this game. I beat normal mode the night I got it, but it took me a few months to finish hard mode, and I only finished hell mode a few weeks ago (more than a year after its release). Still haven't filled up all the games in Maniac... But, I can't wait for the sequel (coming out on Valentine's Day <3).
Malice
not in order~

Fire Emblem 7
Eh... It's very.. good... and..... eh........ I like Fire Emblems......?

Golden Sun 2
I like the battle system.

Fire Emblem 8
'cause Seth is in it and it lets you go back and make your players stronger if they suck.

Final Fantasy 4
I liked the story.

Shining Souls 2
You get to pick who you are! :D

Not the best reason...
fensti
Tales of Symphonia
Best RPG for the GCN. Long story, really good at that. Interesting characters.
Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones
My favorite out of the series. More balanced characters and more fun to use the battle arena.
Golden Sun: The Lost Age
My favorite GBA game. Best graphics for GBA, best story, best characters. Case closed.
Baten Kaitos
One of the most interesting battle systems in this game, and though the voice acting may not be the best, it is still one of my favorites.
Pokemon Series
One of the best RPG franchises ever. after 10 years it is still moving strong. I loved these games, though I tend to put them aside a lot once I finish them.
Chardes
NOT in order:

Final Fantasy 7
Great gameplay, great plot. Too bad it's just albeit too easy.

Star Ocean: The Second Story
Simple to play, thick in storyline, lotsa talking, and.. lotsa talking.. and.. well, tough boss. ^^

Unreal Tournament 2004
FLAK CANNON! FLAK CANNON!

Heroes of Might and Magic III
Superb graphics, and fun.

Katamari Damacy
YES! I ROLLED OVER A COW. YEAH.
Anubimon
Final Fantasy 6
I like the plot, I like the music, I like the characters, I like the villain. And Terra x Celes is an awesome couple.
... Shut up, I'm not strange. =(

Growlanser series
Obscue games, sadly. Growlanser 2 and 3 were released by Working Designs. They're just... fun.

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
OBJECTION! TAKE THAT! HOLD IT! Fun and humorous.

Suikoden series
Good plots and they tend to have good characterization, considering each game gives you 108+ party members.

Chrono Trigger
A classic... A game I've played over and over, so it's stuck with me.

Honorable mention: Fire Emblem 4. I like how the time jump.
Dr Strum
QUOTE (Anubimon @ Jan 16 2006, 05:11 PM)
And Terra x Celes is an awesome couple.
... Shut up, I'm not strange. =(

Nothing to feel bad about, that's a common pairing....
Marionette
Phantom Brave
This game made me fall in love with gaming all over again. Its gorgeous, it made me cry, it made me fall in love. I love it to bits to this day.

Valkyrie Profile
Amazing battles, amazingly dark and awesome storyline. Lezard.

Star Ocean 2
My first true game obsession. I seriously went hardcore on this baby. 255 for everyone and still kept going.

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
Newest obsession, but its an amazing game. Took me completely by surprise on its sheer awesomeness. I love it to bits no matter how linear it is. Edgeworth baby!!!

And finally...

Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga
Extremely witty and great way to give fresh life to the Mario series. I honestly, honestly love Nintendo and Alpha whathaveyou for htis game. I became a Nintendo Fangirl from this.

Also, they gave us Peasley. Life was good.

Yay.
DVA-Angel
Oh boy XD Why bother having a list when I can say all the games I've played and enjoyed are my topped list? XD
whoyodaddy
not in order:
star ocean 2
digital devil saga
F.E.A.R
GTA series
devil may cry 1+3(skip 2 because that one sucked)
Leyviur
Suikoden 2 - The entire Suikoden series is my personal favorite series, but this game deserves special note because it's just THAT awesome. It does everything right - story, graphics, characters, gameplay, music score, and an awesome hidden character - the only thing that tainted it was the shitty American localization.

Tales of the Abyss - I'm an avid fan of the Tales series and despite them whoring out this license like a ten dollar slut, I buy each and every game released for this franchise. Their most recent attempt, Abyss, is possibly the best game in the series thus far. Aside from a few technical problems, the game has a fantastic battle system and great story and characters.

Chrono Trigger - The Dream Team didn't matter so much to me as the final product did, and boy, the final product was one of the best games ever created by the hands of man. Awesome graphics, lovable characters, an enthralling journey, and an exciting battle system all made this possibly my favorite game Square has ever created.

Lufia 2 - In an era that was dominated by graphics whores and effect sluts, the Lufia series had more simplistic graphics and battle systems, but the series had one of the BEST stories I've ever seen, not because of its subject matter, but because the way it's told makes players remember it for the rest of their gaming career. Lufia 2, though technically the first story of the series, offers up one of the best stories ever seen in an RPG. It's too bad the sequels for the series has drifted into mediocrity, the games deserve a true sequel.

Kingdom Hearts 2 - I loved the first Kingdom Hearts, I really did. But it pales in comparison to this game. About four times as big, with a better battle system, new abilities and combination forms, more worlds, and a great story (with a secret unlockable ending), this is a game for the ages.
MoloMowChow
Not in order, i'm speaking for Mele as well...

Unreal Tournement 2004: Redeemer!! Redeemer!!

Final Fantasy Tactics Advanced: Awesome story line, awesome stradegy gameplay (sort of), great characters...sucky music XD

Ragnarok Online: SOOO addictive, can't say why...Ghostring Card! OMG!

Ragnarok Battle Offline: Even MORE addictive then RO, much fun!

Counterstrike Source: i am a camper!

i would have put Riviera too, but that's too predictable...
Marionette
QUOTE (Leyviur @ Jan 17 2006, 05:04 AM)

Lufia 2 - In an era that was dominated by graphics whores and effect sluts, the Lufia series had more simplistic graphics and battle systems, but the series had one of the BEST stories I've ever seen, not because of its subject matter, but because the way it's told makes players remember it for the rest of their gaming career. Lufia 2, though technically the first story of the series, offers up one of the best stories ever seen in an RPG. It's too bad the sequels for the series has drifted into mediocrity, the games deserve a true sequel.

You are the true pokemon master. That is a god damn awesome game. First game to ever make me break down in tears. Repeatedly.

And to this day the Sinistral Boss Theme still kicks major ass.
Enzd
THIS WAS STUPID SO IT'S GONE NOW
Dr Strum
That makes two of us.
Raine > all.
Marionette
Raine <3 I was pretty fond of Colette too.
MeleMewChew
QUOTE (Enzd @ Jan 17 2006, 10:41 PM)
As an unrelated comment, I thought Tactics Advanced's music was its best quality.

he didn't say the quality, he meant the music itself...

All the music (execpt maybe the boss ones...) were too happy...
Rhiannon
QUOTE (MeleMewChew)
QUOTE (Enzd @ Jan 17 2006, 10:41 PM)
As an unrelated comment, I thought Tactics Advanced's music was its best quality.

he didn't say the quality, he meant the music itself...

He said FFTA's music was its best quality, as in, the music was the best part of the game.

Anyways. My list:
  • Phantom Brave
    I <3 this game. Everything about it. And um... It's Phantom Brave. That's the only reason I need to justify how great it is.
  • Xenosaga Episode I
    I loved this game. A lot. Good graphics, beautiful music, and an interesting story. Plus, it had KOS-MOS and Albedo.
  • Shadow of the Colossus
    Everything about this game is simply beautiful. It took me a bit of time to get used to the controls, but after that there was nothing I didn't like about this game. I still haven't beat it though...
  • Pokemon Emerald
    I COULD have just said any of the "traditional" Pokemon games instead, but I think Pokemon Emerald is probably my favorite of them all. Why? Two words: Battle Frontier. I see no need to explain myself further.
  • Emperor: Battle For Dune
    I honestly don't remember much about this game except that it was a real-time strategy game and I loved playing it. Unfortunately, I can't play it anymore. I miss it, and the sand worms. Even though the sand worms would just eat everything in their way and cause issues for everyone...

Yeah.
Deadelus
Well like this is a forum for riviera thats will be my fist one..........

Second: Star Wars Battlefront II
I just like the graphics.....and the us of the Jedi!!!

Third: Call of duty II
So many shooting..... me likes!

Fourth: Warcraft III, and expansion....

Fifth: Fire emblem

Dont know which one..... the one where Lin appears....
fensti
Actually, that list I had before, forget that. I can only say that my favorite game of all time is Tales of Symphonia. After that, they pretty much all mash together. I would need to list 10 or 15 games total actually...
Irysa
Final Fantasy VIII/VII

I love them both to bits, don't make me choose. ;_;

Golden Sun : The Lost Age

This game is really great. I love the Djinn system, and the plot is first class.

Kingdom Hearts

Ignore the sometimes childish parts, this game is terriffic. One of the most addictive games I've played

Fire Emblem : Rekka No Ken ( The Blazing Sword )

Worth buying a GBA just to play it. Great fun for ages.

Shenmu ( Dreamcast )

I never got to fully play this RPG, so it doesn't make the top, but from what I did play, it was amazing. Metal Gear Solid and Advance Wars almost got into this spot too.
Chardes
Personally, I didn't think FFVIII was very good.. It was pretty horrendous experience, for me.
Irysa
Yeah, some people just hated it, while other loved it. Its one of those games like that. >.>
Chardes
I'd still think there's more "FFVIII haters" than "FFVIII lovers".
Irysa
You're probably right there. I still love it though. ^^
Deadelus
FFVII is the way to go!!!!!!!
Irysa
lol, huge change.

Silent Hill 2

Mind boggling experience. This was my first Silent Hill game, and I can honestly say, this is one of those games that I feel extremely comfortable with calling art. The story and the way it unfolds is genius, the music is moving and atmospheric, the terror it creates is extremely unique, and the graphics are amazing. I honestly find it difficult to express what I loved about this game, because everything fits together so well.

Valkyrie Profile 2

A recommendation by Rhia, turned out to be one of the best purchases I've made in a very long time. The battle system is extraordinarily distinctive, the platforming/puzzle solving of the dungeons brings back many fond memories of old platformers ( although the difficulty can be frustrating ) and although in some ways, the story is badly paced, the ending is delightfully bittersweet and remorseful. The music as well, by one of my favourite VG composers, ranks very highly. The voice acting and graphics are both superb as well. (LEZARD <3!!!)

I also compliment it for being very streamlined. There is little wasting of time in Towns and the world map discussing irrelevant story hooks, as almost everything important happens inside of dungeons, making it a a throwback to the old school style of dungeon crawling.

Devil May Cry 3

How can I put this. The best hack and slash game ever made? Of course, DMC4 is likely to top that.
The sheer levels of freedom in this game to do what you want with the way you fight is absurd. It is incredibly slick and rewarding to pull off any of the combos, and the variety in how to play is reflected in the many weapons ( which can be swapped on the fly, for massive combos ), multiple styles ( all of which are independent and add their own level of play to the game ), and the insane difficulty level. After beating this game, the feeling of euphoria overcame me, and I can only imagine what it would be like on Dante Must Die mode.

Half Life 2

Holllllyyyy shit. Where to start. Although the story for this game has been oft done before, the cinematic level of presentation in this game is mind boggling. The physics engine ( Source ) is one of the best engineered systems I've seen PC developers ever come up with, as it is incredibly efficient and versatile, and still looks very pretty. The diversity of the levels, ingenuity of the physics, and the unforgettable epic moments ( Strider fights. X_X )...Valve outdid themselves on this series.

Homeworld Cataclysm

A sort of stand alone expansion to Homeworld, a critically acclaimed RTS title, despite not being made by Relic themselves, outdid the sequel and the original. The gameplay has been streamlined down, and more realistic limitations on your fleet size have been imposed. Your Mothership evolves as the story progresses, the ships are all varied and serve many individual and useful purposes. The graphics are incredibly detailed, and it is amazing how enjoyable it is to simply sit and watch your units engage in full scale 3d space battles.
The story and voice acting are absoloutely top notch. Whilst the burning rage against the Taidani that fueled my playthrough of the original Homeworld was not there, The Beast served to make me fear and empathize with the Somtaaw, in their impossible fight against an enemy within themselves. In some ways, it could be called a real time strategy with some influences from the survival horror genre.

Other notable games ( from different series's ) would include Pokemon Silver, Metal Gear Solid 3, Resident Evil 2, Baldur's Gate II, Rayman 2, Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne, Spyro 3, Crash Bandicoot 2, Final Fantasy VIII, Riviera, The Wind Waker, Super Metroid and Deus Ex.
DustyHaru
Top 5 games. They're all pretty old
  • Gunstar Heroes - One of the First Games I've ever rememberd playing. It's still one of my favorites and I pull out my Sega Genisis' to play it from time to time.
  • Seiken Densetsu 2/Secret of Mana - One ot the First RPGs I've ever watched/played. I play it at my cousin's when I visit Canada
  • Seiken Densetsu 3 - Yes ROM; I still haven't beat it -__-;
  • Mystical Ninja: Goemon's Great Adventure - Another RPG I have. Even though its a side scroller unlinke its prequel, I still enjoyed it.
  • Super Mario RPG - Another game I play at my cousin's. It just rocks (<3 Geno, GENO LASER!)
-Dusty
jcdietz03
Xenosaga Episode I
I loved this game. A lot. Good graphics, beautiful music, and an interesting story. Plus, it had KOS-MOS and Albedo.
This sounds good. I'll pick up this one right away!
Shadow of the Colossus
Everything about this game is simply beautiful. It took me a bit of time to get used to the controls, but after that there was nothing I didn't like about this game. I still haven't beat it though...
I actually have a copy of this game and I have never put it in my PS2. I think I'll give it a try tomorrow.
Valkyrie Profile 2...
This sounds good. I think I'll pick up a copy.

My favorites:
FF6 (Cliche)
Chrono Trigger (Cliche)
Tales of Phantasia (ORIGNAL SNES VERSION. The port is terrible, don't get it)
Shining Force 2
Ar tonelico: Melody of Elemia
Wally
Stop making us remember members that are gone dead. Anyways...

Heroes of Might and Magic III

In the mid nineties, my older brother introduced me to Heroes of Might and Magic, one of the first strategy games I ever played. I became instantly entranced by the colourful graphics and simple but addictive gameplay. We were always playing hotseat multiplayer together, although I wasn't very good at the time. One day my brother came home and told me that his friend had just gotten Heroes of Might and Magic II, and that he'd be getting a copy of it as soon as possible. I can still remember having trouble falling asleep that night because of my excitement, and then dreaming about Heroes II. Heroes II improved on the original in every way, and we ended up wasting even more time on this one than the original.

Then one day, Heroes of Might and Magic III came into my life. Unlike the previous game, I can't remember how or when it happened, so I can only assume that part of my memory was destroyed from a sheer overload of joy. This game had everything. The sprite graphics were (and still are) gorgeous. The music is beautiful. Eight unique factions, and a huge amount of units. Lengthy campaigns, individual scenarios, and plain old fashioned free-for-all multiplayer maps. The series even has some humour strewn throughout it. If you've ever thought that a turn-based, hotseat multiplayer game would be boring, I'll let you know that you're horribly wrong. The two of us sunk hours and hours into this game, always being surprised by something new and wondrous. Even now, when my brother has graduated college and I've just started, we still manage to find time at family gatherings to fit in a game of Heroes III.

tl;dr BEST GAME EVUR

Half-Life 2

Warcraft III

Advance Wars

Civilization II

I'll write something for the other games tomorrow or something. Oh, and for some of these games, it's not just the game itself, but the experience along with it that made it so great.
aerozero
1. Megaman Legends- Great voice acting, beautiful graphics, a good storyline, I loved MML. It was one of the few games of its time where you were able to go where you want and do what you want as you ran around the island (explore ruins, jump on the roofs, mini games etc.). I was blown away by the gigantic bosses and 3D world, it was epic. Why the hell it didn't catch on, I'll never know.

2. Persona 3- My first Shin Megami Tensei game, everything was done with style (the music, graphics, battle system, art) and I enjoyed the fast pace of the battles, lack of random battles and the dungeon crawling. I had some problems with the AI (I need you to use Dis-charm dammit, don't heal me!), but it didn't really ruin things. The High School aspect and S. Links were interesting as well, though I wish there were more of it.

3. Dystopia- I got tired of downloading a whole bunch of crap whenever I joined a server in CS:S, so I decided to give this Cyberpunk Source Mod a try, and I got hooked. This was the first FPS, I've ever played that required teamwork to complete certain objectives (different in every map), with "deckers" hacking Cyberspace to open locked doors, capture enemy turrets, gas a tunnel, and assist their teammates in "Meat Space". With 3 different classes, 4 exclusive weapons for each class, and various implants to customize your load-out with (my favorite is the Stealth implant for lights), and a Global Player Stats Tracking System, I'm still playing this mod, even though games like TF2 are out.

4. Final Fantasy Tactics- I rented this when I was in Middle School, and I didn't understand what the hell was going on, so I didn't touch until I was a Senior in High School. It replaced IX as my most favorite FF of all time due to Akihiko Yoshida's beautiful art and the well-done story filled with betrayals, stabbings, and awesomeness. The new localization makes it even better.

5. Harvest Moon Back to Nature- There's nothing like going from rags to riches in this farming simulation game.
Bass EX
Well, mine would be:
1. Megaman Battle Netwotk 6 - Cybeast Gregar
Megaman is my favourite since I was 4... I can't help it :/

2. Chrono Cross
Some people say Chorno Trigger is better, but I like this one best, I find it more entertaining.

3. Warcraft III
Now that I can install it, it is very slow. I hate my computer. Maybe this makes Warcraft II my third favourite.

4. Shining Force II
It's old but cool, it's my second favourite RPG.

5. Final Fantasy VIII
I like it more than FF VII, I think it's characters are better.
Lloyd Seegymont the Rasier
In random order...

1. Final Fantasy VIII: I think this is the best Final Fantasy to date. The story line far surpassed any other in the series. The opening movie? Forget about it. One of the best in gaming history. Squall is one of the best Final Fantasy characters every made.

2. Pokemon Red and Blue: Do I need to say more?

3. Halo 1-3: This is one of the most played games worldwide. No other game in my mind is played in more places. I loved the Halo series, when Evolved Combat was released, I played it for 48 hours non-stop.

4. Super Mario 64: The single greatest Mario game in history. I've played that game for years, and still play it sometimes now. It was one of my all time favorites growing up.

5. Assassins Creed: I love this game to death. The fact that I've owned this game since it was released, and I'm still finding new ways to kill people, is insane.

Other games that didn't quite make it:
.Riviera
.Kingdom Heart 2
.Drakengard 2 ( NOT 1 )
.Super Smash Brothers Melee
.Kingdom Hearts
.Tetris
.PONG!
Greifer
In no particular order:

Final Fantasy IX- My second FF. I played this game to death. I loved it, probably because the only console I had was a PSone, but still, at the time this game had amazing depth. The story was moving, albeit a bit cliche. But the characters were memorable, the battle system was awesome(Trance FTFW), and it was fucking long as hell. In my opinion this one outranks every FF ever, especially the atrocious and infamous FFVII, which I cannot stand.

Super Robot Wars OGs- Oh my god... SRPGs happen to be favorite fucking genre, and mecha is my absolute favorite type of manga/anime. Put them together, and you get the SRW series. Now I love having Gundams and Magaziners kick the crap out of aliens, but when you are able to create an amazing game on company created mechs instead of liscensed mechs, that's awesome. That said, OGs is a remake of OG1 and 2, complete with amazing graphics, deeper storyline, and extra mechs. I simply adore the Fire Emblem series, but Lyn and Eliwood cannot hope to stand up to Zengar Zombolt and the Daizengar. Nuff' said.

Pokemon G/S/C- Pokemon. Who doesn't like little monsters maliciously attacking each other with no regard to each other? Pokemon is the greatest monster-battler RPG. Nothing else compares. Gold, Silver, and Crystal were the GBC iterations, and they were amazing. With 151 more little critters to collect, new characters, updated graphics, catchy MIDIs, and the ever-continuous quest to be a Pokemon Master, G/S/C, were awesome. Oh did I mention the realistic Day-to-Night capabilities?

Megaman Series- Megaman, the ultimate platformer shooter. Megaman is my ultimate favorite game series. Sure there are a few continuity errors, but I really don't care. I just want to sit there, and blast the fuck out of Mechaniloids and Robots. The characters are fucking awesome, and Zero looks like a chick. Whether it be a buster or a saber, you can't go wrong with Megaman.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time- My favorite game ever. Period. LoZ rocks. Just about everyone will agree. This was the pinnacle of N64 gaming, along with Mario and Pokemon. It's a tried and true formula. Get the sword, save the princess, beat the Ganon. That's this game in a nutshell. Plus, Zoras, Deku nuts, and magic bags of stuff. You start young, but you grow and you are able to save the day, and the world with your ridiculous arsenal of weapons. Fun, fun, fun. And I'm not being sarcastic.

THIS LIST IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE WITH THE RELEASE OF YUPSP, RONDO OF SWORDS, AND SSBB IMMINENT.
Knightman
My games Are:
Puyo puyo: My VERY FAVORITE GAME, this game took me since 5 years ago when I know it... I played Fever in PC and it rocks, my favorite chara is of course RAFFINE, and also with fever 2 and 15th anniversary I think that this is my first positon for me...

Megaman: I know him since I played GB version many years ago and Personally I like it... With BN and Ryusei series, including Maverick Saga
These games enhaced Megaman Name...

Panel de pon/Dr.Mario: I know him when I played 64 and a friend of mine show me the game, personally the puzzle genre is overrated by others, because puzzle are my best games....

Final Fantasy VII, Tactics and A2: Recently I buy A2 and I liked it, personally the SRPGs are very cool... also FFVII is the best game of the whole saga..

Fire Emblem: the SRPG before Yggdra union... this game is cool good characters and good line... the game has action from begining to end, but is the fifth besty fro me...

Shadow
· Chrono Trigger
My very first RPG. My PC had only 16 colors (sigh) when a friend handed me a CD with a lot of emulators (NES, SNES, PC-E and Sega Genesis). I found CT and automatically fell in love with it. The only problem was that the emulator was really crappy: you had to click in some strange icon to launch every game, and the speed of the games was increased, which made almost impossible to get past the console in the future (the first time you get there). I played the game again many times to see if I was missing something for that part, until I managed to open the secret passageway by smashing my keyboard.

· Okami
I love Japanese mythology. The graphics are quite something, and the music is probably the best aspect of the game, in my opinion. This is one of those games that I would play over and over again forever.

· Disgaea
Strategy RPGs are just my thing. The characters and the storyline are still the thing that I most appreciate.

· Zone of the Enders: The 2nd Runner
The gameplay is just awesome. It's too short, which is a big waste, but the game is still amazing.

· Persona 3 FES
A perfect mix between a sim dating game and a dungeon crawler. It could have been prefect with a little H scenes.
Yuka
Legend of Mana - This was, believe it or not, my first RPG ever, and it STILL stands as my favorite of all time. Not just my favorite RPG, but my favorite game of all time. There's just so many things you can do in this game, and there's a surprising amount of non-linearity for a jRPG. There's three main 'arcs' of the game, and when you beat one, you can access the end of the game, beat it, and start over on a New Game+. There are ways you can do multiple story arcs, but it's all relevent to how you do your placements on the world map. In a way, it's kind of like FFTA in that you essentially build the world. Well, a more accurate way to explain that is that FFTA is kind of like this, since LoM came before FFTA. Anyways, three difficulties, 10-ish different weapon types you can use, forging, instrument making (they're magical and cast AoE spells!), Golem crafting, and the fact this RPG is MULTIPLAYER (Yeeaaaaah!) set this as my favorite game of all time.

Shadow of the Colossus - Epic game is epic. The thrill you get when you're fighting something that's fifty times bigger than you is exhilarating. Honestly, need I say more?

Skies of Arcadia - In a world where six moons orbit, which should leave six equators, which would make the world seriously fucked up, are a bunch of floating islands and air pirates. The combat in this RPG is quite fun, the story is amusing, and the sight of seeing an airship take down some mythological creature that's like ten times as big as it never gets old.

Tyrian - My first shmup ever, and my favorite shmup. Much like LoM, but without the part about non-linearity. Actually much of LoM's description applies to this as well, in the varying difficulties, multiple weapons and the like. It's multiplayer as well, although it's not one I've actually played around with. The game is long for a shmup (It covers four 'episodes'), but it's fairly short compared to any other game in any other genre, meaning you can still sit down in one sitting and beat it from start to finish.

Okami - This game is art. Seriously. Well, the PS2 version. I don't know about the Wii version. This is truly one of those games I wish more developers could make. The game is long if you want to collect everything, and this game has some seriously awesome boss fights.

Other Notable Mentions Include-

Valkyrie Profile 2
Star Ocean 3
Klonoa 2 - Lunatea's Veil
Pokemon Silver
Phantom Brave (YOU SUCK NIS WHY DIDN'T THIS GAME HAVE NEW GAME+)
Midnight
Let's see... Mine would be...

Not in order:
Riviera: An awesome game that more people should pay more attention to.
Secret of the Solstice: An online game, takes forever to level up though.
Trickster Online: I only connected to it ONE time, but Exp. system is the same way that Riviera uses for it's Over Drive meter.
Tales of Symphonia: This is a masterpiece, that is all.
Summon Night: Swordcraft Story: Has a good battle system. Oh, and story.
Frisk
1. Chrono Cross
What was the start of all this?
When did the cogs of fate begin to turn?
Perhaps it is impossible to grasp that answer now,
From deep within the flow of time...

But, for a certainty, back then...

We loved so many, yet hated so much.
We hurt others, and were hurt ourselves.
Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
Whilst our laughter echoed,
Under cerulean skies...

2. Wild Arms 2- This game is just awesome in my opinion. I've probably never cared about characters as much as I did in this one. Everyone is fighting for their own beliefs, and no one thinks that they're doing the 'wrong' thing. It also sends a strong message, one that is usually completely ignored in stories of any kind in this day and age- in times of crises, you can't push all your burdens on one person, rely on just them to fight your battles for you. Everyone has to struggle to help, everyone has to get hurt together to really bring hope. I honestly could go on for several hours about this game, but everything I say would involve one scene or another in the game, and that would be going into spoilers. No matter what time, I can pick this rpg back up and play it whenever I want. Its ONLY flaw in my opinion is a bad translation, and thats not its fault.

Before I move along, I have to say this about my favorite part of the entire game.
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

3. Final Fantasy Tactics- What really sells this game for me is the characters and their individual goals and motives always clashing. To be honest, srpgs just don't hold any particular attraction to me. I mean, I think they're as fun as anyone, but I know I'll probably get bored of them because of the time-consumption involved. I played the last fourth of this game in a NIGHT. I couldn't put it down, not just because the gameplay had become a great mix of difficult but balanced (which it had), but I HAD to know what would happen to the next character in the line. Too bad it usually wasn't good. That's another thing, the game doesn't paint a pretty picture of war. Families and friends tear each other apart for the sake of pure greed. Evil walks, and almost no one seems to want to stand against it, to fight it. But there are still noble warriors, people struggling to do the right thing. This game isn't just a game, its a tragedy.

4. Shadow of the Colossus- Anything I could say about this game has already been said.

5. SMT: Nocturne- One of the coolest MCs in history. Seriously, he's as badass as they come. He can yell and shatter the earth itself. Controller-breaking difficulty, battles that actually make you THINK and plan. And you know those useless buff and status effect spells in other games? Yeah, try and play this game without them. Fuck, just try beating MATADOR without some kind of buff spell. And unlike a lot of jrpgs, this game has a lot more freedom to it. Not the kind of freedom where you wander around and do things in any order, but freedom to make your own choices on how the world should be. You can side with one of 3 factions, each doing their damndest to shape the planet in their image. Or you can say fuck them and just kill everything standing in your way. Pure awesomeness.
DustyHaru
QUOTE(DustyHaru @ Jan 21 2008, 06:54 PM) *

Top 5 games. They're all pretty old
  • Gunstar Heroes - One of the First Games I've ever rememberd playing. It's still one of my favorites and I pull out my Sega Genisis' to play it from time to time.
  • Seiken Densetsu 2/Secret of Mana - One ot the First RPGs I've ever watched/played. I play it at my cousin's when I visit Canada
  • Seiken Densetsu 3 - Yes ROM; I still haven't beat it -__-;
  • Mystical Ninja: Goemon's Great Adventure - Another RPG I have. Even though its a side scroller unlinke its prequel, I still enjoyed it.
  • Super Mario RPG - Another game I play at my cousin's. It just rocks (<3 Geno, GENO LASER!)
-Dusty

I'M SURE THIS IS THE ONLY TIME I'VE EVER USED THE LIST THING

And yeah I think that's still more or less my top 5. FFTA, Megaman Legends, Riviera, Phantasy Star Online, Fire Emblem, and Bahamut Lagoon are close to being up there (and I mean really close). It'll probably stay that way until I figure out a game that trumps them all and capsizes the list.
MARIA IRL
5.) Dragon Quest 3

One of the very first games I ever played was DQ/DW1 on the NES. It's simple, but I loved it, and the sequel was one of the first games I rented. Sadly, I didn't know any more in the series existed until I was an adult. I immediately emulated 3 (GBC version) and was glued to it almost permanently. Why's it asking me my gender? What I'm like as a person? Why does it deem me 'valiant' and 'romantic'? You can imagine my surprise when the game plot twists and drops me into Aelfgard and suddenly the gears in my head begin to turn. By the time the king is granting me the title of Loto, I'm in tears. I grew up to become to hero of my childhood and the hero that inspired the heroics of two of the first RPGs I ever played and loved. It was so simple, but at the same time, meant so much to me. I don't think it would have had the same impact on me had I played it at an earlier age, so I'm glad I had to wait. Thanks for making "lol oops it was prologue quest all along!" one of the best twists of my life. Little Atma really appreciates it.

4.) Soul Nomad

This is where Nippon Ichi really shined. I honestly never liked Disgaea much (Laharl is one of my least favorite characters in anything of all time), Makai Kingdom was pretty meh, I haven't played Phantom Brave yet (though I do own it), but this and La Pucelle were gorgeous games. This is where all the heart and soul (heehee) went, though Nomad did it better. They pulled in toi8 as an artist (I vastly prefer him to the other main NIS artist), the music was Tenpei's best, the multiple story paths all depressed the hell out of me (what have I done to you, my dear Trisha), and it was their most fun game to play all around. The only thing wrong with it was the dub. Only listen to it if you hate yourself. Pity all they get is cameos now while Disgaea gets 9348962134981 spinoffs and remakes while this is most likely to be their most easily forgotten game. What a fucking shame.

3.) Final Fantasy Tactics

FFTA and A2 can go right to hell. You had the perfect game. The best game that will ever be graced with the name of Final Fantasy. You remade it into an even more glorious game with one of the greatest scripts i have ever seen in my life. I don't want happy endings, I want justice, even if it's cruel and sad. I want war and questioning and dirty politics and foul religion. I want a goddamn role model (Agrias Oaks). You gave it all to me. You were the only game I skipped school and faked sick just to play, ever. And then you turned it into a trashed kiddie happy funtime crapland in your sequels. What the fuck happened to you? Fuck judges, all you need is faith (and brave).

2.) Valkyria Chronicles

This right here is why you buy a PS3. From the moment I saw the Famitsu scans of it being announced in Japan, I knew this would be the current gen console I'd get. Best $300 game I ever bought. Every character was insanely likable, the squad was amazingly well done, each recruit felt like an old friend, and it's one of the few games I prefer the dub to sub over. I normally don't play RPGs for the battle system, but all I have are compliments for this one. The music is stellar, too. A lot of good choked up moments and close fights made it a real winner. There is not a single part of this game that isn't perfect. War is hell, kids.

1.) Xenosaga Episode 3: Also Sprach Zarathustra

This is going to be a long one, so sit down and listen carefully. This honestly means a lot to me and I would appreciate it if nobody laughed at me for this. Just this once, let me have my peace.

I was going to cheat and just put all 3 on here, but the third one was what changed my life, so it gets put up here. I'm not using hyperbole; this game literally changed my life and made me a better person. I played the first one when I was about 17, got the second the very day it came out (fuck the haters 2 is a wonderful game), and 3 was with me the day it came out after I moved to Arizona. Over this course of time, I had gone from late teen to full grown adult. I had to grow up and accept responsibility, as did the characters. The ending blew me out of the water. Though the series was cut short, they still ended it marvelously. I have cried at video games. Big, heaping sobs. Mental breakdowns. Over good things, bad things, maybe just because it was over. By the time I was able to go at least an hour without sobbing afterwards, a day and a half had passed. I wasn't able to sleep at all. There was this impact inside me. When I was done, I had grown up.

I've since found my passion I had in school for studying religion, philosophy, science, literature, anything to further my understanding of the world, the universe, and humans. I am still enamored with it all to this day. I'm becoming wise. I'm becoming learned. All because of a video game.

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

This all has taught me one thing and it is the only thing I will ever need to know in life: Humanity is awesome.

All this, from a video game. Until a game comes by that can top the personal impact this game had on me, if that's even humanly possible, as much as I do love other games, they ain't got shit on this.

Thank you, Xenosaga. Maybe tomorrow...

EDIT: Almost forgot! Honorable mentions go to FF6, FF9, La Pucelle, Suikoden 1/2/5, Yoshi's Island, Star Fox 64, and Okami.
Midnight
- Updated List -

5 - Tales of Vesperia - I often enjoyed the Tales series, but despised the fact that most titles were on PS2, a console that I did not have at the time. The only game I had was Symphonia, and that was pretty much it. Then I got this game back in September. I have been waiting to play this for a long time, and I have to say, I'm very impressed.

4 - Riviera - I never got the chance to obtain the GBA version back when it was released because of my age (11, maybe). Back in 2009, I got the PSP version and completed Serene's ending. If I wasn't impressed with this game, I wouldn't even be here right now.

3 - Pokémon Crystal version - I got into the series with a rented version of Silver, so my mother decided to get Crystal a year later for me (Crystal wasn't released yet). What I enjoyed about Crystal that I still enjoy HeartGold and SoulSilver today, is the ability to return to Kanto. The only thing that bothered me in later games is that you only stay in one region, you can't go to Johto or Kanto at all.

2 - Shin Megami Tensei: Persona (2009) - I never really got the chance to enjoy a SMT game, because, again, most of them were on PS2. But fortunately, I had a PSP that I got for Christmas back in 2007. The gameplay and story are fantastic, and I would love to play through it again and get the true ending, but unfortunately, my PSP ultimately broke from a major drop from my pocket, it cracked the screen, and I can't see anything anymore. I had to trade in my copy of Persona along with Riviera because I couldn't afford another PSP.

1 - Summon Night: Swordcraft Story - I had high hopes for this game when I heard of it back in 2006. I later got it and was amazed with what I stumbled across. Great gameplay, great story, and above all, memorable characters like Sugar, who will claim to be your fiance, even if you chose a girl as your main character! The battle system works like the classic Tales games, you at a side-scroller angle, had multiple moves and a variety of weapons to make and customize. For reasons that will take me too long to explain, I enjoyed it.

Honorable Mentions -
Burnout Paradise
Ace Combat 6
Summon Night: Swordcraft Story 2
Tales of Symphonia
Eternal Sonata
Frisk
Sugar is the best reason to own that game. I love Sugar <3
Rhiannon
SEEMED SILLY TO HAVE DUNE ON MY PREVIOUS LIST. This is in order, saving my favoritestest for last.
  • Knights in the Nightmare
    Obnoxiously pretty for a DS game. Love the music (outside of story sequences, at least) and I liked all of the cause and effect relationships with all of the points in the story. And how could I resist getting raped by Melissa's stupid birds five bajillion times? Dodging all those bullets while trying to find a safe way over to some unit so you can beat up bosses is like the best part of the game.
  • Phantom Brave
    Well, it's still Phantom Brave. It's cute and sad, both of which are things I love. There's a lot of character customization to be done through fusing and weapon choice, and being gridless allows for a lot more strategy than certain other SRPGs. Also, good music and characters.
  • Yggdra Union
    All I really care about with this now is the gameplay (well, I will admit I still like the "WHAT IS JUSTICE" part of the story). The gameplay is so fun though. And the first few times I played it it actually required a nice amount of thought to get through things. That's not so true anymore since I've pretty much memorized most of the game and know what I want to do and when, and if it's safe or not, but yeah. Still so fun.
  • Tales of Destiny: Director's Cut
    So I love the battle system, music, and some of the characters. The music is just awesomeified versions of the original game's randomly awesome music (ISN'T THAT WEIRD FOR A TALES GAME). So that's cool. And then the battles are just so ridiculously fun. I like not having many limitations in games, so CC and aerial combat are like, perfect for me.
  • Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria
    THIS IS FUN TOO. And probably has more freedom in the combat than any of the other games I've listed. I can win battles however I want to. I can get through them in seconds with an offensive setup, tank for hours with a defensive one (well, this doesn't work so well), chop off random limbs of enemies to make them useless, get AP back constantly with ground bounces and whatnot for really long combos, inflict enemies (bosses are no exception) with status effects to make things easier, use the environment to never actually get hit by attacks... I just love all the options I have in this game. Plus, VPsystem is always a ton of fun. OH, AND I REALLY LIKE PHOTONS AND ALL THE PUZZLES THAT WERE DESIGNED FOR CRAZY WARPING WITH THEM.
HONORABLE MENTIONS: Pokeymanz, Tales of Rebirth, Shadow of the Colossus, Xenosaga Episode I, Wind Waker, SMT Nocturne, and Crystal Chronicles. That should be good.
Walrus
In no particular order~
  • Super Mario Bros. 3
    This game was the most awesome game ever back when we first got it for our NES. The first one scared me/was too hard, and I only ever got to play America's 2 at relatives' houses and stuff, but I played this one to death. There's not much else to say.
  • Sonic 3 & Knuckles
    :3 another much loved game from my childhood, even though Carnival Night Zone's barrel stopped me from beating the game without Knuckles for years. Nearly all of the music was fantastic, and playing this game just feels so good. I bought a new tv cable for my old Genesis early this year, and once again got to experience all the magic of a well made Sonic game. I loved Sonic 2 as well, but that was a lot harder and not as rewarding to me >_>. Plus, Tails was way more useful in this game.
  • The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages
    I still can't remember how I found out about this game, or how I even managed to acquire it, but it's definitely the best Zelda game I've ever played. The gameplay, puzzles, and items are some of my favorite in the series, and there's something about all the sprites they use that makes me want to beat it again every once in a while. I later emulated/purchased Seasons and was able to beat both stories without internet passwords. Roc's Feather needs a comeback.
  • Boktai: The Sun is in Your Hand
    TAIYOHHHHHH!!! I think I found this gem in a Nintendo Power magazine, and for whatever reason, thought some line about enemies getting stronger or weaker depending on the time of day sounded cool. Well, it was cool alright, and full of sunny charm. Shooting sunlight out of a gun you can point to the sky and shout to charge the battery makes me wish the world was suffering from Post-Apocalyptic Vampire Syndrome. The second game was a lot of fun, and I played some of 3. Sunflowers.
  • Ristar
    This was one of those games we'd rent from that now closed videogame rental store that I forgot about for a while, then remembered and had a lot of fun with. The music was great, the scenery was amazing, and the bosses were extremely scary :(. Space needs more yellow star guys that grab stuff.
Shadow
I love you, Walrus. Ristar is awesome. Have you played Pulseman?

QUOTE(Atma @ Jul 5 2010, 10:50 AM) *
4.) Soul Nomad

This is where Nippon Ichi really shined. I honestly never liked Disgaea much (Laharl is one of my least favorite characters in anything of all time), Makai Kingdom was pretty meh, I haven't played Phantom Brave yet (though I do own it), but this and La Pucelle were gorgeous games. This is where all the heart and soul (heehee) went, though Nomad did it better. They pulled in toi8 as an artist (I vastly prefer him to the other main NIS artist), the music was Tenpei's best, the multiple story paths all depressed the hell out of me (what have I done to you, my dear Trisha), and it was their most fun game to play all around. The only thing wrong with it was the dub. Only listen to it if you hate yourself. Pity all they get is cameos now while Disgaea gets 9348962134981 spinoffs and remakes while this is most likely to be their most easily forgotten game. What a fucking shame.

Marry me please Atma
I feel like I'm the only one who liked this

Also I want a port for PSP badly.

Well, updating my list:

1. Chrono Trigger
Nothing can take this bitch down.

2. Okami
It's also going to be pretty hard to take this motherfucker down.

3. Metal Gear Solid 4
The microwave scene did it. Also the final battle was fucking epic.

4. Shadow of the Colossus
Beautiful. Nothing else to add.

5. ZOE 2
WHEN IS ZOE 3 COMING OUT!?
Yuka
I played Soul Nomad. I just couldn't get into it as well as I could some previous NIS games. I kinda expected something a tiny bit different from it.
Shadow
Okay you can marry me too.
MARIA IRL
I'd give a kidney if it'd fund a PSP port already goddammit. With more routes and more heartbreaking. I have friends who worship everything NIS puts out who refuse to play it on the grounds of "the graphics suck." SERIOUSLY WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH HUMANITY?
Lloyd Seegymont the Rasier
What to add?

I guess:

Devil May Cry 3: No other hack n' slash has every come close to this. I've played this game so many times, I've almost memorized the entire script. I'd be impressed if someone showed me a better hack n' slash.
Shadow
QUOTE(Atma @ Jul 6 2010, 10:55 PM) *

I'd give a kidney if it'd fund a PSP port already goddammit. With more routes and more heartbreaking. I have friends who worship everything NIS puts out who refuse to play it on the grounds of "the graphics suck." SERIOUSLY WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH HUMANITY?

I turned a friend from a graphics whore into a normal person with Disgaea once. Now I kindly tell them to go suck their own genitals. I MEAN HOW CAN YOU INSULT BLAZBLUE'S GRAPHICS FOR FUCKS SAKE

Also the evil path was really crazy.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.