Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Roswell versus Rosary
Lacrima Castle > Sting Games > Yggdra Union > Yggdra Game Help
Pages: 1, 2
Rhiannon
This topic is basically for those who want to know the pros and cons of two certain characters. It will, of course, contain some gameplay-related spoilers. Just like the Gulcasa Tips topic. This is your warning, etc.

In part two of Battlefield ten, you are to make a decision on who to attack; Roswell or Rosary. This choice will determine if you get Roswell, a Necromancer, on your side, or Rosary, a Witch. It will also affect certain items, a few battlefields, and obviously it will affect the story to an extent as well.

Stats:
  • GEN: Roswell > Rosary
  • ATK: Roswell > Rosary
  • TEC: Roswell < Rosary
  • LUK: Roswell < Rosary
  • Morale: Roswell > Rosary
Rosary's total stats are a bit higher than Roswell's are, but Roswell gets higher Morale. Roswell's stats are also generally more balanced, while Rosary's are more "specialized" (ie, she has disgustingly low ATK but really high LUK).
  • GEN: Skeleton < Golem
  • ATK: Skeleton < Golem
  • TEC: Skeleton > Golem
  • LUK: Skeleton > Golem
  • Morale: Skeleton < Golem
The total stats of Skeletons are a bit higher than the stats of Golem's, but Golems get higher Morale. Basically, just like with Rosary/Roswell's stats, they're pretty much even.

Effects:
  • Necromancers are immune to Dark.
  • Necromancers are strong to Skeletons.
  • Necromancers are weak to Holy.
  • Witches are immune to Fire.
Witches don't have any bad effects, but Necromancers have more good effects as well as a bad effect.
  • Skeletons sleep at Noon.
  • Skeletons are weak to Necromancers.
  • Skeletons are weak to Holy.
  • Golems can break objects if they step on them.
  • Golems are weak to Valkyries.
  • Golems are weak to Lightning.
  • Both have Status Guard.
Overall, Skeletons and Golems are mostly equal. While breaking objects can be good in some situations, in others, it can be a very bad thing. In fact, it's possible to make a battlefield impossible to win if they break certain objects on certain types of battlefields.

Other:
  • Skeletons can use Poison Breath.
  • Golems can use Earth Quake.
  • Poison Breath can poison the enemy.
  • Earth Quake halves the enemy units.
Earth Quake's usefulness is rather limited, in comparison to Poison Breath. But Poison Breath can become COMPLETELY useless when you're fighting enemies with Status Guard. But, there aren't a huge amount of enemies with Status Guard. Therefore, Poison Breath is (mostly) better than Earth Quake.
  • Golems can only move one square per turn.
  • Skeletons can only be summoned at night.
  • Skeletons have a small unit type.
  • Golems have a large unit type.
Which unit type is better is subjective, for the most part. But Golems can only move one square per turn. That's really... not good. Skeletons only being able to be summoned at night isn't that big of a deal, really. Most of the time, the day will change normally. For perpetual times, it's perpetual night more often than it is anything else.
  • Rosary is the only permanent fire unit you get.
  • Roswell can teleport at night.
While there is one unit you can (but may not) get who will have a fire element, you wont have that unit very long at all. And it's very late in the game that the unit becomes available.

Teleportation can be bad for beginners. It takes a bit of time to get used to how it works and to plan out Roswell's movement so that you can use teleportation effectively. Roswell can also get special items and even a secret card with teleportation. Rosary can use the Warp Shoes to get some of these, however, the Warp Shoes only last a few battlefields, so it's not like you'll be able to get every secret item with them.
  • BF10 is easier if you attack Roswell.
If you attack Roswell, you'll have advantages over both him and his Skeletons with Yggdra. But with Rosary, you don't get any advantage other than Yggdra being strong against the Golems.
  • BF11A is easier than BF11B.
BF11A, the battlefield that you go to after BF10 if you beat Rosary, is easier than BF11B, which you go to if you beat Roswell. Why is it easier? Because the main enemy that is stopping you from beating the battlefield has an item that damages his morale every turn. You don't get that nice advantage in BF11B.

Overall:

While Skeletons are better than Golems, Roswell and Rosary are still mostly equal. Choose whoever you like, based on personal preference in appearance/personality and also what you've read here. But keep in mind that Rosary may be better for beginners simply because Roswell's teleportation can lead to issues if you don't plan his movement carefully.

Um, yeah. Tell me if I'm wrong somewhere in here of it you have something to add to this.
Raijinili
Rhia, you've succeeded in completely convincing me that I know too much about them now to decide.
Rhiannon
Um. Then... choose who you like most?
ChefMKT
I can't say who I prefer at the moment because I've only used Roswell so far. In this playthrough, I'll use Rosary and see how she goes. However, I don't use golems / skeletons so I can't really comment on that.
Dr Strum
I think Roswell is probably only the best choice for item-gathering, and summoning.
Although, teleporting makes the deserts and swamps much easier...
Rhiannon
YEAH WELL MAYBE YOU SHOULD EXPLAIN WHY YOU FEEL THAT WAY.
Dr Strum
Well, she can move two squares teleporting through the deserts and swamps. That's better than one.
Then, I say he's only good for items and summoning because, first, Skeletons are far better than Golems, and they can inflict statuses which is awesome. There are also items that only Roswell can get without dealing with Mizer-annoyingness.
The problem is, that Roswell has such average stats, unless you equip him and feed him often, he'll be outdone by far by your other units.
Really, the only good thing about Roswell battle-wise, is that he will absolutely TEAR through Valkyries.
Rhiannon
Rosary isn't much better in that aspect. All of her stats kind of suck except for Luk and Tec.
Dr Strum
And those are the most important stats.
Especially with Fortune on your side.
Rhiannon
SOME PEOPLE WOULD DISAGREE WITH YOU.

But not about Fortune. Fortune always wins.
Dr Strum
TEC decides how much damage you can do with your opening hit, LUK decides wether you get criticals, charge cancel hits, etc.
Desu
Haha...someone also thing Russel looks Erk. I think so too...
How could you kill Roswell... O_o
Anyway, I killed Rosary. I will do so every playthrough.
Rune_Ocarina
I killed Roswell...I'm kinda regretting it now, somewhat...
Dr Strum
QUOTE(Desu @ Nov 29 2006, 12:36 AM) *

And you will never complete the extra contents.
Ruby Eyes Yuan
QUOTE(Rune_Ocarina @ Nov 29 2006, 08:04 AM) *

I killed Roswell...I'm kinda regretting it now, somewhat...

Same here. Except it goes beyond "somewhat".

But seriously... there's Rosswell fanfiction out? I'm interested!
Dr Strum
The name is "Roswell" like the town. Not "Rosswell."
Yuka
In the Japanese version, I killed Rosary, and I'm curious now as to see who's better. Probably Rosary because of Fortune, but Roswell warps at night. That's always useful in certain situations, I guess.
Dr Strum
You assume Roswell can't use Fortune; he has high LUK too, he's just inferior to Rosary in that area.
Yuka
Anyone can use Fortune, just that some do it better than others.
Dil
I don't really quite get what is;

Whatever > Whatever or
Whatever < Whatever.
Desu
QUOTE(Dr Sturm @ Nov 30 2006, 12:13 AM) *

QUOTE(Desu @ Nov 29 2006, 12:36 AM) *

And you will never complete the extra contents.

Because I'm not really interested to.
Rhiannon
I don't really quite get what is;

Whatever > Whatever or
Whatever < Whatever.

They are greater than and less than signs. If I say "Golems > Rosary" what I mean is "Golems are greater (or better) than Rosary", and if I say something like "Skeletons < Necromancers" what I mean is "Skeletons are less (or worse) than Necromancers."

Those were random examples... but I hope you understand what I mean now.
Raijinili
It also compares numbers.
Megafreak
Well, I think that it goes like this...
Rosary=Roswell
Golems>Skeletons
Dr Strum
The comparisons in the opening post were not subjective.
Ruby Eyes Yuan
I'm already doing my second playthorugh, and decided to kill of Rosary instead. I'm actually quite amazed how much havoc I can wreak with Roswell! (I've never had the chance to summons Skeletons, however. I end up using more battle-dire cards during the Night. So far, I only use the "Necromancer" Card for its movement value)

Considering my excessive use of him, I've actually got him leveled up, even MVP'd a few times! And thanks to being a little more map-concious, his Attack Level is now 5 Big Stars! Now anyone within the weapons trinalge must bow down the the ruler of the Black Rose Land AND his catchy BGM!

I still preffer "Grim Angel" as my overall favorite, but Jazz is my favorite music type, so it makes sense.

Still, having to do the "decisive" Battflefield again pained me incredibly.
Dr Strum
Necro Gate, not Necromancer.

Seriously, how do you make that mistake?
Someone
I choose Roswell because he can warp. This skips sand, it also let's you can that dragon card in that BF ( it was 26 I think ) this is of course without the Warp Shoes.

though I like fortune I still pick Roswell. When I played the game with Roswell I Beat Gulcasa Back in BF 17 while he was in Genocide with Roswell.

I guess I'm biased then.
Desu

Okay, I have lied.

I have decided to kill Roswell in one of my playthroughs...
defeated Gulcasa easily using Rosary, but her attack is driving me nuts
Feral Phoenix
I picked Roswell without knowing any of that stuff, and love him so much that he's hugely spoiled and one of my more powerful characters. (Even though Yggdra is my strongest and her level is maxed and I can basically send her into any fight alone and she. will. pwn. the. world.) If you really can't complete the Extra Contents section without choosing Rosary at least once, I suppose I'll have to, but I'll still feel bad for it now that I'm emotionally attached to Roswell.

Because, hell, Roswell is just cuter. And his music rocks my socks. I hate Rosary's theme.
Jan Akiyama
I can see now some people are seeing the light. I'll see what happens later, but the warping is kind of irregular for Roswell since he only does so at night. It gets confusing for people unless they keep an eye on the time of day. Else they will find themsleves very confused.
Dr Strum
Anybody playing with half a brain will keep track of the time of day for usable cards and effect bonuses.
Feral Phoenix
True...

I think someone said something about both Roswell and Rosary having sucky stats unless you give them lots of stuff once? I gave Roswell one stat-raising item (Forbidden Fruit) and now he has maxed ATK, so I think I have to disagree with you there...
Dr Strum
Well, the Forbidden Fruit raises ALL stats, so no unit it was used on would have sucky stats.
Also, neither of the mages will have sucky stats unless you neglect using them.
Lord Ryo
You'd be surprised how much the MVP + bonuses help. In my first playthrough, I used Rosary like crazy making her my MVP for several BFs. In the end, I finished the game using no stat increasing items with a Rosary at 5 big stars for attack. So, I guess it's all how you play, I could have very easily used Roswell and got the same results, or then again...maybe not...
Yuka
I personally prefer Roswell over Rosary, despite the fact that most people seem to think that Rosary is in the long run more useful. I like his lines :(

The only reason I chose Rosary for my English playthrough was because I chose Roswell in my Japanese run.

More on topic, I really think it comes down to preference. They're about even, one's better than the other in certain situations, so it really comes down to who you like more.
Dr Strum
... And that's what the opening post was about.
People seem to confuse this with a poll, it's not. It's a comparison, so that we don't get a bunch of threads asking who to choose.
Lord Ryo
Well, Golems are more useful than Skeletons. Not to mention; Rosary doesn't have an elemental weakness, like Roswell's weakness to holy. But overall, stat per stat; there's really no difference, so the selection is personal. I'm a dude, so of course I picked Rosary! ^^
Feral Phoenix
Well, I'll find out for myself who I like better shortly. I'm going to pick Rosary this time through. (I can't believe I'm doing this. Where the heck do you find the warping shoes? Gulcasa will massacre my army without Dragon Killer.) But somehow I don't think I'll be swayed. Because Roswell has saved my butt one too many times and I'M A BIASED FANGIRL AND HE'S CUTE.
Dr Strum
The fourth item Mizer is equipped with.

And having the card doesn't stop Gulcasa from slaughtering you, it just allows you to do the same to him.
Feral Phoenix
I shall keep that in mind, thanks.

Dragon Killer gives a bigger bonus than Genocide though. So... yeah, whatever, okay, it just allows the slaughter to be mutual.

I love Gulcasa but I do not love it when he decides to stampede my army.
Dr Strum
I wasn't talking about Morale damage, I was talking about Clash Damage.
Lord Ryo
Forget that! Dragon Killer's moral damage is far more than its clash damage, although the clash damage is what leads to the moral damage in the end so...
Feral Phoenix
Having used Rosary, I now have more of an appreciation of her. She's very good against Eudy (guaranteed win basically...) and she's amusing.

I still like Roswell better 'cause I picked him first though.
Suzu Fujibayashi
Not to kick the dead horse kind of, but on a con for Rosary it might be worth noting that an annoyingly high number of 'Female only' equips also state: "Except Rosary"

Well maybe not an annoyingly high number, but... If you want to use equips on Rosary, it's something to keep in mind... Although on the flip side, she does recover Morale from the otherwise useless items you find in The Tower... (Only real use is if they get picked for that random trade for Dark Matter...)
P.P.A.
I chose Rosary. But I've saved a few battle fields earlier, so I can still change the character. Curse Roswell's ankh! I need more heal items... >_>
Dr Strum
Not to kick the dead horse kind of, but on a con for Rosary it might be worth noting that an annoyingly high number of 'Female only' equips also state: "Except Rosary"

She can't wear them because they're hats. She has a hat already.
And listing that as a con is stupid unless you want to list Roswell's inability to equip all of Eudy's staves as a con, as well.
Feral Phoenix
QUOTE(Dr Sturm @ Feb 9 2007, 07:41 PM) *

She can't wear them because they're hats. She has a hat already.
And listing that as a con is stupid unless you want to list Roswell's inability to equip all of Eudy's staves as a con, as well.

I found that kind of amusing. Rosary likes her hat better than all that other stuff... :D
Suzu Fujibayashi
Her hat should have a All Stat UP O:
'Cause it's cool looking.

And I felt like mentioning it since it does have a gameplay effect, like if you choose Roswell most of Eudy's things are utterly worthless later on (Namely her brooms...)
Feral Phoenix
I also find it amusing because other characters with hats--Roswell, Cruz, Durant, etc.--are all willing to swap them for other ones, but Rosary isn't. XD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.