Lacrima Castle
HelpSearchMembersCalendar

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Riviera Mythology Origins, Had a good discussion going last time...
Raijinili
post Dec 25 2005, 07:22 AM
Post #16

Lieutenant

Group: Gods
Member No.: 16

QUOTE (Vixen1977 @ Dec 24 2005, 10:05 PM)
Noir is French for black.
Trie means screen.
So trie noir translates as black screen.

From what I'm seeing, "Trie" is the verb "screen" rather than the noun.

~~~
IPB Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Swifty-chan
post Dec 25 2005, 02:24 PM
Post #17

Zzzz...

Group: Knights
Member No.: 13

Does the name 'Diviner' actually has a meaning?
+Quote Post
forsakensmile
post Dec 25 2005, 02:30 PM
Post #18

Shy

Group: Arcs
Member No.: 12

Well divine as a verb means to tell the future by some occult means. So a diviner would be a tool to that. WHICH DOESN'T MAKE ANY SENSE WHATSOEVER.

It probably just sounds cool.
+Quote Post
Swifty-chan
post Dec 25 2005, 02:35 PM
Post #19

Zzzz...

And Lorelei and Einherjar and Skadi?
+Quote Post
forsakensmile
post Dec 25 2005, 02:37 PM
Post #20

Shy

Member No.: 12

Posted on the old forums, gone now.

Einherjar is something like the warriors of Valhalla who will join the Gods at Ragnarok to fight or something like that.

Skadi was an ice giant i think Can't remember.

Lorelei was some woman who had a tragic story which I can't remember. Haha Google it.
+Quote Post
Swifty-chan
post Dec 25 2005, 02:40 PM
Post #21

Zzzz...

I thought Skadi IS some ice... er... queen? @_@'

Google I shall! ><'
+Quote Post
valkan
post Dec 25 2005, 04:23 PM
Post #22

Vivec

Member No.: 5

Lorelei was a woman who was betrayed by her man. She through herself into a river, and died.

She became a ghost, who lured men to their DOOM.

That's all I remember.

~~~
"Wheels within wheels..."
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Dr Strum
post Dec 26 2005, 03:16 AM
Post #23

Can Lead the Nation with a Microphone

Group: Angels
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (forsakensmile @ Dec 25 2005, 08:30 AM)
Well divine as a verb means to tell the future by some occult means. So a diviner would be a tool to that. WHICH DOESN'T MAKE ANY SENSE WHATSOEVER.

It probably just sounds cool.

Divine is also a an advective that means holy.

But it could make sense in a way. Diviner meaning future bringer or whatever you'd like to say.

~~~
Писатель всегда будет в оппозиции к политике, пока сама политика будет в оппозиции к культуре.
+Quote Post
Jan Akiyama
post Dec 26 2005, 03:31 AM
Post #24

Shy

Member No.: 20

I don't understand how it associates it to fire but oh well. You probably figured out what ragnarok or Armageddon is mut I'll just lay it out.

Armageddon is something like a final judgement of sorts.
Ragnarok is the norse interpretation of the Apocalypse. PBasically put, god and hell make a war against each other and in turn get fried.

Undines are sort of like water spirits that can only get a soul when they marry a human. Kinda lame actually.

The only thing about Isher that I found was that it was a female weapon seller in a futuristic novel about how weapons were "freedom".

Aghart gave me nothing.

Lindwurm acually gave me alot. Its a dragon similar to a wyvern and in legends its either a bringer of goodluck or its this ferocious but intelligent beast.

Archangel is a higher rank of angel. Thats about all I got.

Death is death. There isn' much to describe the great reaper.

Zantetsu means cutting metal. A shorten version of Zantetsuken which is basically sword that cuts metal. Self explanatory.

Kikuichimonji is a sword created by a swordmaker under the name of Kikuichimonji Norimune. Its actually a real thing and its said that the quality of the blade surpasses even the Nagesone Kotetsu. Okay...I know too much about weapons...

Flamberge is a sword created with serated edges. Its made to hack and cause pain but its pretty useless other than that.

Zephyr means wind.

An estoc is a thin blade made for stabbing. It usually has a wrist guard that is similar to a lance guard.

Rosier is a fallen angel.

Longinus is the spear that pierced Christ during the cruxifiction but its used all too commonly.

Gai bolg is a partizan-like spear made to stab and cause pain even when pulled out.

Divine wind is self explanatory.

Southern cross hales from the constellation that is in the shape of a cross. The constellation is used in a number of flags and shields.

Seth is a biblical figure that was the son of Adam. How this has anything related to Seth in the game I have no clue.

~~~
And I thought Saturos and Menardi had issues...- Sheba
+Quote Post
Raijinili
post Dec 26 2005, 08:11 AM
Post #25

Lieutenant

Group: Gods
Member No.: 16

For Divine Wind, or Kamikaze, the islands of Japan was once protected by a storm that blocked invaders' ships from attacking.

I always thought of Seth as Set, especially with the other half being Rah. Seth-Rah = Set-Ra.

~~~
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Swiyth
post Dec 26 2005, 09:17 AM
Post #26

Vlayghn el Deistra

Member No.: 2

okay. Skadi, as i remember FS saying, is an icegiant.

apparently, she wanted to marry a god. she got her wish one way or another when something screwed up, and she was allowed to pick a god husband. theres a trick to this, though, as i remember, and she was only allowed to look at their feet to choose.

then, she made her choice. her husband was actually an old and ugly god or something. eventually, she divorced him and married another god.

the pooooooor bastard.

~~~
<SIENNA> Dude
+Quote Post
Dr Strum
post Dec 28 2005, 12:01 AM
Post #27

Can Lead the Nation with a Microphone

Group: Angels
Member No.: 1

Salvaged from the decaying ruins of the old LCN forum.
Some of this may have been posted, but I just copied and pasted what looked important:

Einherjar
The Einherjar are the heroes who have died with great bravery on the battle fields. These heroes are prepared in Valhalla for the oncoming battle of Ragnarok. In the morning they are woken by the crowing of the cock Gullinkambi ("golden comb"). During the day they train and fight, until they cut each other to pieces. At night they feast at Odin's side and their wounds are miraculously healed.

On the day of Ragnarok, the bravest of the Einherjar will march with Odin to battle the frost giants, the enemies of the gods.

Skadi
A giantess, called the 'snow-shoe goddess', and the embodiment of winter. She is the wife of the god Njord. When her father Thiazi was slain by the gods, Skadi wanted to take revenge. The gods thought it wiser to reconciliate and offered her a marriage with one of them. She was free to marry any god, but while she made her choice she was only allowed to see the feet of the potential candidates. She noticed a very elegant pair and, convinced that their owner was the fair god Balder, she choose them. Unfortunately for her, those feet belonged to the older god Njord.

The marriage between Njord and Skadi was not a happy one. She wanted to live where her father had lived, in Thrymheim in the mountains, and Njord wanted to live in Noatun, his palace by the sea. So they agreed to spend the first nine days in the mountains and the following nine days by the sea. This arrangement did not work out very well, and they separated. Eventually, Skadi left Njord for the god Ull.

Lorelei
According to German legend, there was once a beautiful young maiden, named Lorelei, who threw herself headlong into the river in despair over a faithless lover. Upon her death she was transformed into a siren and could from that time on be heard singing on a rock along the Rhine River, near St. Goar. Her hypnotic music lured sailors to their death. The legend is based on an echoing rock with that name near Sankt Goarshausen, Germany.

Well Einherjar makes sense, Ein = heroic and all that.. Skadi too, since in the myth she was the 'embodiment of winter'. Lorelei doesn't make too much sense though. Shall be back with more if possible.

Asgard
Asgard, in Norse mythology, is one of the nine worlds and the homeland of the Aesir, the race of warrior gods. Located on the highest level of the Norse universe, it is surrounded by a high wall of closely fitted stone blocks.

Also found on this level are the worlds of Alfheim and Vanaheim as well as Valhalla, an immense hall where warriors slain in battle await the final conflict.

In the middle of Asgard lies the plain of Idavoll (or Ida) where the Aesir meet to decide important issues. There the gods assemble in the hall of Gladsheim and the goddesses in the hall of Vingolf. The gods also meet daily at the Well of Urd, beneath the Asgard root of the ash tree Yggdrasil.

Utgard
In Norse mythology, the abode of the giants, situated in Jotunheim. Loki had his castle here.

Yggdrasil
In Norse mythology, Yggdrasil ("The Terrible One's Horse"), also called the World Tree, is the giant ash tree that links and shelters all the worlds. Beneath the three roots the realms of Asgard, Jotunheim, and Niflheim are located. Three wells lie at its base: the Well of Wisdom (Mímisbrunnr), guarded by Mimir; the Well of Fate (Urdarbrunnr), guarded by the Norns; and the Hvergelmir (Roaring Kettle), the source of many rivers.

Gae Bulg
"Notched spear". In Old Irish legend, the wonderful spear of Cuchulainn. The notches were created to do the most damage when it was extracted from the body. The spear was made from the bone of a large sea-monster that died in a fight on shore with another of its kind. Cuchulainn received the spear as a gift from Aiofe, the woman-warrior of Alba, and mother of his only son, Connla. With this spear he killed Connla, unbeknownst of the fact that it was his own son. With Gae Bulg he also killed his best friend Ferdiad in the War for the Brown Bull. In the last fight Cuchulainn fought, he hurled the spear at the satirist who demanded it of him; but Cuchulainn died soon after without it.

Flamberg
Derived from the flamberge, a sword borne by Charlemagne and Renaud de Montauban. It was forged by the smith Galas, and was one of nine blades shattered by Olivier's sword, Hauteclere. Don't know this story? Search on wiki. biggrin.gif

Longinus
The Lance of Longinus is claimed to be the spear that pierced the side of Jesus when he was on the cross (John 19:31-37). Later Christian tradition named the soldier that pierced Christ's side as Gaius Cassius, and he is later called Longinus.

Diana's Bow
Diana was the perpetual virgin goddess of the hunt, associated with wild animals and forests. She was also a moon goddess, and an emblem of chastity. Oak groves were especially sacred to her. She was praised for her strength, athletic grace, beauty and her hunting skills.
---
That explains it...

Rosier
Rosier was a fallen angel, specifically a Dominion of the Second Sphere. He is the patron demon of tainted love and seduction. It is this angel which leads men and women into unrequited love which can only result in torment of spirit, heart and soul and additionally into carnal sin.
---
LOL unexplainable

Estoc
An estoc is a type of sword common in the 16th century. It was long, straight and stiff, with a diamond cross-section. An estoc had no cutting edge, just a point. It was used to pierce enemies when armour improved such that slicing weapons were no longer effective. It could go through crevices in plate armour and disjoint chainmail and was thus a very effective weapon then.

Kikuichimonji
"Kiku" means chrysanthemum. "ichimonji" can refer to the Japanese kanji for "one", but I think that in this case, it refers to the "Ichimonji", a group of swordsmiths who aided the Emperor Gotoba in developing swords. Apparently, Emperor Gotoba was an avid swordsmith. With the help of the Ichimonji, he commissioned many swords (and supposedly made a few). However, the Emperor was not permitted to sign his name on the sword, so he used a chrysanthemum with 16 or 24 petals. Hence, the name "kikuichimonji".
---
Got this from a not-so-reliable source.. So I'm not so sure but should be true.

Excelion
Searched it up on Google, turn out there was an anime called Boken Oh Beet Excelion, actually a sequel to the anime Boken Oh Beet. I only managed to dig out a storyline on the latter, so basically it's about a world under the rule of a devil, and there's this boy called Beet who joins this Zenon Squad to fight the monsters around. Basically he screws up, the rest of the team die, but manage to transfer their life energies into their weapons, and giving them to Beet.

Fanelia
Fans of Escaflowne would have found this name familiar. biggrin.gif It's a small kingdom in Gaea ruled by the Fanel family. It was demolished by Zaibach at the start of the series, but was rebuilt by the end of it. It apparently heavily resembles Meiji-era Japan.

+Quote Post
Swiyth
post Dec 28 2005, 05:44 AM
Post #28

Vlayghn el Deistra

thanks, Sturm. saved us a bunch more of typing.

well, thats all of the info from the old forums?

~~~
<SIENNA> Dude
+Quote Post
regruBgniK
post Dec 29 2005, 01:25 AM
Post #29

Metroid Queen

Member No.: 14

QUOTE (Raijinili @ Dec 26 2005, 08:11 AM)
For Divine Wind, or Kamikaze, the islands of Japan was once protected by a storm that blocked invaders' ships from attacking.

I always thought of Seth as Set, especially with the other half being Rah. Seth-Rah = Set-Ra.

Oh damnit! I was just about to put that. ;_;

~regruBgniK

~~~
What goes around...
Comes around...
+Quote Post
Swiyth
post Dec 29 2005, 05:55 AM
Post #30

Vlayghn el Deistra

hmm.......i thought Kamikaze was a sacrifice move by WW2 japs.

they loaded planes filled with bombs and ran straight into enemy battleships. if they didn't die, they had guns to shoot themselves in the head with.

~~~
<SIENNA> Dude
+Quote Post

5 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 10:07 AM