Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Engrish in KitN
jcdietz03
post Oct 7 2008, 05:00 AM
Post #31

Time Waster

Group: Flunkies
Member No.: 1609

Yeah, and there was a lot of English (not ENGRISH) in Kitten, not to mention the English voice acting. They're in the credits because they helped with the game.
It's surprising that they made so few mistakes. However, they are a professional translation company. The Engrish is a small fraction of all the English text/voice there is in the game. I listed all I could find in the OP.

I concede it's a bad definition. Hopefully, I explained in previous posts what I consider Engrish. It's not something that can be worded concisely.

1) Doesn't fit into established patterns or styles of the target language and
2) Is an attempt at doing so.

There are problems with this definition - for example, a five paragraph essay written by a student who's never written one before would probably fall under this definition. It's the best I can come up with.

I could add:
3) Written/spoken by a nonnative speaker

This seems to be an element of Engrish in most situations. However, I have no idea who wrote the English text in KitN. I really can't see a native speaker writing KILL OUT, but you never know. Also, I'm sure if a native speaker tried, they could come up with some good Engrish. Also, machine translations can qualify as Engrish. So I don't really want to include this criterion.

There's some element of how far off the mark are you. Let's take the novice student's 5 paragraph essay. If a Japanese person wrote the same essay word-for-word, I still wouldn't consider it Engrish because it's pretty close to the established standard. How about this:

4) Must sound or read awkwardly to a native speaker. OR Must sound or read awkwardly to one fluent in the target language.

These are subjective criteria.

Saying that this proves all nonstandard English from Asia counts as Engrish is like saying you're a poppyseed because poppyseeds are living things.
Rai is being argumentative here. He doesn't really believe that English text in KitN is trying to be a form of English other than standard English (the equivalent of the poppy argument). Of course, I don't KNOW that he believes that, I simply believe he doesn't believe.

I'd still like Rai to post his definition of Engrish. What do you consider to be Engrish?

This post has been edited by jcdietz03: Oct 7 2008, 05:01 AM
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Dr Strum
post Oct 7 2008, 05:14 AM
Post #32

Can Lead the Nation with a Microphone

Group: Angels
Member No.: 1

This seems to be an element of Engrish in most situations.
It is THE only situation. No, I disagree. If you had said "Written/spoken by a non-speaker of English" then it would be true. It is THE only situation because otherwise it's just stupidity.

I really can't see a native speaker writing KILL OUT, but you never know.
No, YOU can never know, because you have no mind for style, for interesting writing.

4) Must sound or read awkwardly to a native speaker. OR Must sound or read awkwardly to one fluent in the target language.
No, because it's not a matter of how awkward something is, it's a matter of how incorrect it is
"Beware of the Slippery" is Engrish because Slippery is an adjective but is being used as a noun by the use of the definite article.

Rai is being argumentative here.
Nothing pisses me off more than speaking about someone as if they cannot see/hear it.

~~~
Писатель всегда будет в оппозиции к политике, пока сама политика будет в оппозиции к культуре.
+Quote Post
Raijinili
post Oct 8 2008, 04:20 AM
Post #33

Lieutenant

Group: Gods
Member No.: 16

I am NOT being argumentative. You brought up Wikipedia as an authority to support your view, and challenged us to change Wikipedia if we disagreed with you. I simply pointed out that the Wikipedia definition you cited does not agree with you, yet you STILL think that I only challenge the definition you cited rather than the interpretation you made.

~~~
IPB Image
+Quote Post
DustyHaru
post Oct 11 2008, 05:38 PM
Post #34

Check Length

Group: Knights
Member No.: 1632

Your to me disappointment

jcdietz03
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:30 AM