Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Fremdsprachen ftfw, Foreign Languages Thread
Dr Strum
post Aug 16 2008, 07:38 AM
Post #31

Can Lead the Nation with a Microphone

Group: Angels
Member No.: 1

У русских очень другое мнение о Войне в Южной Осетии. Ну, у новост, но я не знаю, как русские люди думаю. Я должен спрашивать мои русские друзья на vkontakte.

~~~
Писатель всегда будет в оппозиции к политике, пока сама политика будет в оппозиции к культуре.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Dr Strum
post Aug 28 2008, 02:54 AM
Post #32

Salut francophones, ça va?
I think (at least so far) I like French more than Spanish, but in Spanish we're moving so much more quickly - we were learning how to conjugate verbs day one, but in French we've only kind of briefly touched on it, saving the full discussion for a later, undisclosed date.
But maybe French and Spanish weren't the best to start at the same time, since they share something like 80% of their vocabulary (with exact spellings), they're just pronounced differently.

~~~
Писатель всегда будет в оппозиции к политике, пока сама политика будет в оппозиции к культуре.
+Quote Post
Dr Strum
post Sep 6 2008, 11:04 PM
Post #33

Я наверно проваливался на моём французкем тесте. Может не быть. Но я ещё делал же плохо. Я знал мало о материале на контрольной, так я мог бы получать F.
Qui étudies français?

~~~
+Quote Post
jcdietz03
post Sep 28 2008, 10:04 AM
Post #34

Time Waster

Group: Flunkies
Member No.: 1609

IPB Image
I would like some help reading some kanji.
I am having trouble with:
The first two kanji in the yellow text.
The second, fourth, and fifth kanji from last in the white text.
+Quote Post
Dr Strum
post Sep 28 2008, 05:43 PM
Post #35

The problem with video games is that they'll often neglect strokes for clarity, making it hard to read for anyone not fluent.

The yellow, the first kanji is 鎧, I can't make out the second but I'm assuming it more-or-less means "Armor-plated" or "Armor-wearing" or whatever.
And I'm not totally sure what you meant, your last sentence was incredibly unclear, but I think these were the kanji you wanted: (maybe?)
情報を, 場所です

~~~
+Quote Post
Malice
post Sep 29 2008, 01:18 AM
Post #36

NUMERO NINO

Group: Grim Angels
Member No.: 9

J'étudie le français!!! Il y a trop de verbes que je dois memoriser. C'est très difficile. Les accents sont terribles aussi parce que je les oublie toujours!

Je dois pratiquer plus! ):<

I'm not sure if I should have used trop. D: Halp..

edit: Qui is just like il/elle right? so there wouldn't be a s after étudie? \(o_O)/

This post has been edited by Malice: Sep 29 2008, 01:21 AM
+Quote Post
Dr Strum
post Sep 29 2008, 02:04 AM
Post #37

Verbes français sont trop pas mal. Mais, j'étudie les langues étrangère...
See, this is the kind of practice I want. Not this stupid workbook that I'm plowing through since I have forty pages due tomorrow and only started on an hour ago. >_>
As for whether you should have used trop, I have no idea. You actually just taught me the word. Do you know if I should have used it where I did (or at all)? <_< Actually I'm unsure about that sentence altogether. I wanted to say "French verbs aren't too bad." Should I have negated the verb? So, like "Verbes français ne sont pas trop mal"? Google Translate comes up with the same translation for both.
Accents are easy to remember if you get your pronunciation down, because they (usually) are pronounced different when they have an accent of some kind...

And yes, qui is singular third, so it should have been "qui étudie..."

~~~
+Quote Post
Malice
post Sep 30 2008, 02:41 AM
Post #38

NUMERO NINO

Group: Grim Angels
Member No.: 9

I haven't really learned much about shortening negatives and stuff, but I think it should go something like

les verbes français ne sont pas trop mauvais

I think i'll ask my French teacher tomorrow. :/

Sturrrrm, how long have you been learning French? O: And did you finish those fourty pages on time..

There are French exchange students in my school. I want to talk to them, but I'm afraid of insulting them by screwing up when speaking French (or destroying the accent stuff). Speaking at the front of the mouth is hard. )':
+Quote Post
Dr Strum
post Sep 30 2008, 02:50 AM
Post #39

Like four weeks. And there are students in our class that are fluent in French, too.

~~~
+Quote Post
San Aurora
post Sep 30 2008, 08:08 PM
Post #40

GOD IS DEAD

Group: Sprites
Member No.: 1681

Estoy aprediendo Espanol.

Not fluent, oh no, not too close at all, but I know the language fairly well. Of course I can conjugate (one of the first things you have to learn), and all that good stuff; wish I could learn more language, but unless I hire a tutor I'll have to wait a few years.

You don't like Spanish as much as French, Sturm? What are your criteria?
+Quote Post
Dr Strum
post Sep 30 2008, 08:39 PM
Post #41

There is no criteria. It's personal preference. Why do I like Japanese and Russian better than German, despite the fact that my German is far better than either? Just because.

~~~
+Quote Post
San Aurora
post Sep 30 2008, 08:44 PM
Post #42

GOD IS DEAD

Group: Sprites
Member No.: 1681

Hm, language judgment. Well, who am I to understand you anyway?

+Quote Post
jcdietz03
post Sep 30 2008, 09:04 PM
Post #43

Time Waster

Group: Flunkies
Member No.: 1609

Which language is the best? Hm... I don't know. I know only one language though.

I don't like Japanese because they have too many letters. 46 in the "alphabetic like" part and 2000 extra characters. It makes reading unnecessarily difficult. Thanks to Dr. Sturm for the help earlier with this. An alphabetic language with few letters seems better to me. Then again, I can dictate a passage in Spanish perfectly and still have no idea what I'm saying.

Will there ever be a time when Americans, British, and Australians cannot understand each other because their language is too different?
+Quote Post
Dr Strum
post Sep 30 2008, 09:23 PM
Post #44

I think I like syllabic alphabets far more than "phonetic" alphabets. At least in the one I've encountered, there's little exception regarding pronunciation, spelling, etc.
French, English, Russian, Spanish, Irish and German all have letters whose sound is dependent upon its location in a word, or even in a sentence. Hence why the "a" in "cat" is pronounced differently from the "a" in "father", and why the "c" in "cat" is pronounced as a "k" whereas it is pronounced as an "s" in words such as "cease". In Russian, "vodka" (водка) is pronounced "votka" (вотка), simply because of the "d"'s location relative to the "k".

~~~
+Quote Post
Raijinili
post Oct 1 2008, 01:41 AM
Post #45

Lieutenant

Group: Gods
Member No.: 16

I thought Spanish wasn't so bad in that.

~~~
IPB Image
+Quote Post

6 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:18 PM