valkan
post Aug 15 2006, 02:25 AM
Post #1

Vivec

Group: Knights
Member No.: 5

I think it would be good and helpful to make a thread about writing tips :D

I'll go first:

I find that when you're editing your story, it's good to break down every sentence by saying them outloud and fixing what sounds wrong (or doesn't fit).

Nine times out of ten, you'll correct yourself automatically!

Naturally this only works with English, but even if you have a general knowledge of the language, it should come naturally!

Also, if you're having trouble don't be afraid to ask another for help, sometimes you will need the eyes of another to be brutal so your fans won't!

~~~
"Wheels within wheels..."
IPB Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Dr Strum
post Aug 15 2006, 02:27 AM
Post #2

Can Lead the Nation with a Microphone

Group: Angels
Member No.: 1

Don't proof read after writing. Spend a few hours or days not thinking about it, doing something else, then go back and check it out. You're more likely to catch mistakes.

~~~
Писатель всегда будет в оппозиции к политике, пока сама политика будет в оппозиции к культуре.
+Quote Post
Yuka
post Aug 17 2006, 08:43 PM
Post #3

We'll soak this parched earth with our own blood.

Group: Magi
Member No.: 177

Don't rush and write a chapter in like 10 minutes. You're bound to not only make a bunch of mistakes, but make the chapter sound crappy anyways.

~~~
[20:15] Irysa: I hate myself
[20:15] Irysa: I made myself some curry
[20:15] Irysa: and then
[20:15] Irysa: I realised
[20:15] Irysa: I wasn't hungry
+Quote Post
valkan
post Aug 21 2006, 06:09 AM
Post #4

Vivec

OUTLINE!

Draw up a quick plan on how your story will unfold. Once you get a general plotline going, fill in the details.

~~~
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Yuka
post Aug 22 2006, 01:41 AM
Post #5

We'll soak this parched earth with our own blood.

Group: Magi
Member No.: 177

Okay, I know this may sound stupid, but I feel like I should point it out.

NEVER and I mean NEVER write a Wall of Text. Not only are they a pain in the ass to read, they're sore to the eyes and a sure sign of bad writing skill. USE PARAGRAPHS. THEY SAVE US ALL PAIN.

~~~
[20:15] Irysa: I hate myself
[20:15] Irysa: I made myself some curry
[20:15] Irysa: and then
[20:15] Irysa: I realised
[20:15] Irysa: I wasn't hungry
+Quote Post
valkan
post Aug 28 2006, 04:52 PM
Post #6

Vivec

References. Dictionaries, thesaurus, encyclopedias, wiki (HA HA HA HAHA HA) websites, books, dvds, television.

Use them. It shows that you put actual work into your stories as opposed to just throwing something together at the last minute. You'll be glad you did.

~~~
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Azarethian Titan
post May 12 2007, 01:23 PM
Post #7

Lazy

Group: Arcs
Member No.: 428

Description should always involve the six "senses". I will cover briefly on each.

1. Touch
This will involve the reactions and thought processes formed from this sense.

Here's an example:
Simple Sentence: The fire was hot.
Using "touch": The searing heat burned his/her skin.

The words in bold are words used in the aspect of touch. Do you see how this creates a more visual scene?

2. Sight
This will involve what you see around you, or what you see in your mind's eye. This includes actions, behaviours, colours, scenarios, etc.

Here's an example:
Simple sentence: The zombie was rotting.
Using "sight": Pieces of flesh were falling off the zombie that shambled forward as it stretched out its grimy hands to grab my head.

The words in bold involve the aspect of sight. They describe the movement, behaviour, action of the zombie and what it looks like.

3. Hearing
This will involve what you hear.

Here's an example:
Simple Sentence: The person was in pain.
Using "hearing": The person groaned in immense pain.

Notice that the world in bold defines the amount of pain the person is in.

4. Smell
This will involve what you smell. It can be either positive or negative, or a mixture of both.

Here's an example:
Simple Sentence: There was a pile of rubbish outside our house.
Using "smell": The pile of rubbish outside our house reeked.

Notice that the word 'reeked' was used to express an extremely bad odour.

5. Taste
This will involve what is tasted, be it physical or figurative (e.g. the taste of defeat).

Here's an example:
Simple Sentence: The berry was sweet.
Using "taste": The berry gave a burst of fruity flavour.

I'm aware that it'd be common sense that a berry would taste like... a well... fruit. But the repeat of it gives emphasis on the flavour.

6. Feelings
This will involve the thoughts and emotions.

Here's an example:
Simple Sentence: I was sad.
Using "feelings": There was great sorrow within my heart.

Notice that I exchanged the word 'sad' with 'great sorrow'. This creates a greater depth in the sadness your character feels.

Of course, the six "senses" aren't used alone (though they can be at times). Quite often, you will use them together to create a visual image.

Here's an example: The fetid stench (smell) of rotting flesh (sight) seemed to pulse (sight) and it fell with a grotesque splat (hearing) on the ground.

Notice that I have just used three aspects of the senses to describe? Note that a good grasp of vocabulary is also EXTREMELY important as it helps with your description. If you have a limited grasp for the English language, your ability to describe will be limited as well.

Finally, one other way to help with your description is usage of imagery. It can be something used to compare, or something out of place.

Here's an example: The undead was like the spawn of darkness.
Comparison: Note that I have compared the undead to a spawn of darkness, which automatically leads you to figure that it is a creature of darkness.
Something out of place: Ever since when was the darkness able to have offspring (in the real world at least)? This is when the word 'spawn' draws attention to your sentence.

I really hope that this guide to description in writing has helped you in some area of writing or another. Have fun writing. ;)

~AT

~~~
IPB Image
+Quote Post
FlameSpark
post May 12 2007, 02:04 PM
Post #8

Talkative

Member No.: 978

Hmm, let's see.

Once in a while, read the story from the start to where you are, you might remember of a new/better way to express what you want to transmit to the reader, or even add more details.

Re-read the previous chapter to make sure it connects to the one you're currently writting.

Not much, since everyone's advices are already good hints...but this might help too.

~~~
IPB Image
+Quote Post
H. Tsukiyono
post Jun 10 2007, 12:04 PM
Post #9

I am not a cat meow

Group: Flunkies
Member No.: 1457

It's hard to read a story that is comprised of all flowery text and very little substance. First, get to the point. Then elaborate. If a reader can tell what your point is, you've done a good job. If you don't have enough substance for a story of a specified length, either shorten that specified length or do a little brainstorming to figure out something else. Purple prose is outdated and most people would rather not read it, unless they're of the percentage that would marry Shakespeare and/or Thomas Hardy if either were still alive.
+Quote Post
Dr Strum
post Jun 10 2007, 06:17 PM
Post #10

For someone so against drawn out stories as to suggest cutting the ornamentation, you sure do write unnecessarily long posts.

~~~
Писатель всегда будет в оппозиции к политике, пока сама политика будет в оппозиции к культуре.
+Quote Post
H. Tsukiyono
post Jun 11 2007, 12:29 AM
Post #11

I am not a cat meow

Group: Flunkies
Member No.: 1457

QUOTE(Dr Sturm @ Jun 10 2007, 11:17 AM) *

For someone so against drawn out stories as to suggest cutting the ornamentation, you sure do write unnecessarily long posts.

I meant that when the story's all purple prose and nobody gets what you're trying to say because it's so buried under the ornamentations. And I have to work on it too. It's not a strong point of mine.
+Quote Post
Dr Strum
post Jun 11 2007, 12:34 AM
Post #12

It doesn't matter what you meant; I'm getting to the point, as you recommended.

~~~
+Quote Post
Feral Phoenix
post Jul 18 2007, 07:55 PM
Post #13

Angelus Artifax

Member No.: 29

-If you're working on a story and either the plot doesn't want to go or the characters won't do what you want them to, take a break from writing and engage in some other random stupid fandom stuff.

-If they still won't do what you want, try to compromise with them and think of another way to make your plot device occur.

-If the story wants to go somewhere and it doesn't directly contradict anything you want it to do, let it. Some of the best scenes I've ever written just sort of appeared on the screen when I meant to be doing filler stuff in between the real plot points.

-If you want to make something happen but you have no idea how to, think it over to yourself while you're trying to go to sleep but can't because you're an insomniac/had too much sugar or caffeine. If that doesn't work, talk to a friend who also writes. If that doesn't work, again, take a break. Read a book. Inspiration comes from everywhere.

-Save often. And keep backup copies of your stuff. You never know when they'll come in handy. TT_TT

~~~
+Quote Post
regruBgniK
post Jan 16 2008, 12:38 AM
Post #14

Metroid Queen

Member No.: 14

Break the basic conventions of the English language. Whore your commas, semi colons, and run on sentences.

~~~
What goes around...
Comes around...
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:25 PM