Lacrima Castle
HelpSearchMembersCalendar

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ashton's Advice, For people who are having trouble at college, et al.
Leyviur
post Sep 4 2010, 04:41 AM
Post #1

Just Some Guy

Group: Gods
Member No.: 10

I've been hearing that more than one person on this board (or in the chatroom) are having serious trouble in uni/college/professional school, etc. Most of these problems revolve around dealing with other people, some with class, some individuals just have no energy. Some of these people have come to me for advice, others I've gotten knowledge of from concerned parties. I'm gonna try to help these people out in the only way I can.

1. First, if you're having serious problems emotionally, see a therapist. These things can range from depression to severe mood swings (unstoppable elation to self-hate). These are symptoms of psychiatric problems and my advice is not a suitable replacement for a personal psychiatric evaluation.

2. Join a club. Any club. Preferably one that coincides with your own interests. Universities and colleges will have tons of these. Not sure about professional schools. Within these club will be tons of like-minded people. They will schedule events and outings and you'll be able to get to know other people. Even if you lack the necessary motivation or energy to participate, drag yourself to these events anyway. Chances are you'll end up having tons of fun. During these events you NEED to talk to others. Don't keep your head down and stay quiet. You don't have to be the life of the party, but you should be able to make some new friends and be able to talk it out with some of them on a regular basis. If after two or three weeks you've found some new friends you can eat at the cafeteria with, you are making incredible progress and should pat yourself on the back.

3. With your acquaintances, you should be friendly but not personal. Charismatic but not revealing. You want to be friendly and open, but you shouldn't reveal much about yourself during the first few weeks of your relationships. This goes triple for people you are romantically interested in. You want people to wonder 'what's up with him/her' and try to figure you out. Maintain an aura of mystique, to put it dramatically. I'm very friendly and charismatic with people I know but I keep them generally at arms' length. This also has the secondary function of not letting anything you don't want spread around out for the gossips to hear. I have only a handful of friends who know a lot about me, and even then they don't know everything. The one and only exception is my best friend in the whole world, who I often refer to (and often refers to me) as my "soul brother."

4. Start exercising. Running is good for either gender. Girls can try yoga and karate, guys can try working out at the gym and 'heavier' martial arts like judo, boxing, or kickboxing, though this is in no way concrete; either gender can do pretty much anything the other can do. Drag yourself and push yourself to do at least 30 minutes to an hour of exercise every single day. The thing about exercise is, if you do it, you'll end up having MORE energy than if you don't. It wipes away the lack of motivation and energy and gives a strong vitality after a session that can't be match by anything else. I don't want to hear anything about how you 'have no time' or 'are too busy.' I practically live in the hospital where I work and I have enough time to do one to two hours of working out AT LEAST five times a week. I am not super buffed out, either (I'm 5'8" to 5'9" and weigh ~175 lbs.), but enough that people turn to look at me when I walk by them on the street. For the curious, my regimen includes an hour of running every day (I run 10 km), then working out until my muscles can't bear the weight any longer. I have also taken classes in jujitsu, judo, karate, kung fu, taekwondo, kickboxing, iaido, fencing, stick fighting, and knife fighting. Some of my ex-girlfriends were terrified of me, I am sad to say.

5. Get to know your teachers and professors. Some of them will demand absolute respect, and these are the ones you don't really want to get too personal with. You want to let them know that you value their class and are listening intently. Ask them questions (but not too much, else you risk making them annoyed) and let them know you care about the class they're teaching. It doesn't really matter if you do or not, the issue here is that you make the appearance of a student who's at the top of their game. Even if you're not top of the class, you'll make a positive impression on the professor. Some will be very buddy-buddy with their students and these are the ones who you want to be 'friends' with, so to speak. The classes I did best in were with teachers who befriended and talked to their students as equals. You should remain casual, but lightly respectful of these teachers. Sometimes they don't mind a little back-and-forth in their classes (keep it to a minimum though - you don't want a reputation as a motormouth); I would always comment on one of my old professor's jokes and he'd play off my reaction epically. Getting on professors' good sides tend to help you out with grades - they're more inclined to hear you out if you have a problem during the semester and are more likely to bump your grade a few points to the next grade level.

These are all I can think of at the moment. Will post more if I think of any and if anyone has questions/comments. Keep in mind, I'm a plain-looking Asian man with psoriasis who obsesses about video games on a regular basis. If I can do this, most of you probably can, too.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Dr Strum
post Sep 4 2010, 04:34 PM
Post #2

Can Lead the Nation with a Microphone

Group: Angels
Member No.: 1

I can't emphasize enough how much exercise and getting involved in student organizations have helped me in college.

~~~
Писатель всегда будет в оппозиции к политике, пока сама политика будет в оппозиции к культуре.
+Quote Post
lilcases
post Sep 4 2010, 07:25 PM
Post #3

nice bs

Group: Flunkies
Member No.: 102

Thank you so much Ash for the advice.

~~~
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Malice
post Sep 4 2010, 09:48 PM
Post #4

NUMERO NINO

Group: Grim Angels
Member No.: 9

DOES THIS ALSO WORK IN CANADA

+Quote Post
Raij|Away
post Sep 4 2010, 10:31 PM
Post #5

Casual Chatter

Group: People Too Lazy to Register
Member No.: 1614

Who told Ash?
+Quote Post
Frisk
post Sep 4 2010, 10:38 PM
Post #6

Determined

Group: Knights
Member No.: 1463

I bet it was that nothsa guy. Or maybe ruivyel.

This post has been edited by Vahn: Sep 6 2010, 01:52 AM
+Quote Post
lilcases
post Sep 6 2010, 01:43 AM
Post #7

nice bs

Can this be pinned for future references.

~~~
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Frisk
post Sep 6 2010, 01:50 AM
Post #8

Determined

Member No.: 1463

That's a good idea.
+Quote Post
Wally
post Sep 6 2010, 07:27 PM
Post #9

Talkative

Group: Arcs
Member No.: 47

What do I do when I've already given up on college?
+Quote Post
lilcases
post Sep 6 2010, 10:17 PM
Post #10

nice bs

QUOTE(Wally @ Sep 6 2010, 02:27 PM) *

Army

~~~
IPB Image
+Quote Post
DustyHaru
post Sep 7 2010, 12:49 AM
Post #11

Check Length

Member No.: 1632

QUOTE(Wally @ Sep 6 2010, 03:27 PM) *

Trucking.
+Quote Post
Dr Strum
post Sep 7 2010, 12:59 AM
Post #12

Can Lead the Nation with a Microphone

Group: Angels
Member No.: 1

I wouldn't recommend giving up on college unless you've already got a plan. At least in college you can explore your interests and meet people who can introduce you to new things. If the idea is still not appealing, get the fuck out into the world and find something.
I'm against the military, but it would definitely get you out into the world and allow you to explore your interests and develop new ones.

~~~
Писатель всегда будет в оппозиции к политике, пока сама политика будет в оппозиции к культуре.
+Quote Post
chrishawke
post Sep 10 2010, 08:36 PM
Post #13

Man with Manly Biceps

Member No.: 15

I'd like to add if you're in financial problem and can't work for whatever reason while attending college, you might want to consider work study programs if your college offers it. If you're unfamiliar with the term, work study is like having a job, except you're working with the college and getting paid by them. You can also ask your professors about student worker openings if you're in good terms with them.

~~~
LACRIMA PEONZ ARTZ SHOWCASE (Aug. 14, 2010) - Part 1 , Part 2

"LACRIMA PEONS ARTZ" Archive <-- What's this?
Dec. 25 2005 to Aug. 13, 2010 - 371 images, 48.6 MB, fixed some filenames and typos
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 02:23 PM