Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> DHE World Guidance Translations, for people who Japan not good
Walrus
post Aug 25 2011, 09:01 PM
Post #1

ちょうちょうさん

Group: Angels
Member No.: 830

Since PPA's been PPA, we now have access to the World Guidance book and will be working on translating passages of interest. They'll be posted here(in later posts, since keeping them together won't fit).

THE BOOK LIKES TO USE A BUNCH OF WORDS THAT MEAN THE SAME THINGS AS OTHER WORDS AND I'M MORE SURE NOW ABOUT WHAT WORDS I SHOULD BE USING BUT I'M LEAVING THIS SECTION HERE JUST IN CASE ANYONE HAS ANY COMMENTS:

神々-'the gods.' We all know who they are, but for whatever reason, everyone in the games talks about them like they're still alive, even though they died back in Ragnarok(every game takes place after it). If "the gods" shows up in something talking about stuff after Ragnarok, it probably just means the Magi. If it shows up when talking about the people that made the surface worlds and stuff, it's the gods. They're apparently computers.

守護天使-'guardian angel.' The Heaven's Gate entry thinks this is "Archangel," but Kitten used the term once(supposedly).

地上-'above ground,' the plane of existence that the surface worlds(地上世界) exist in, so it's the surface. You could think of it as a big ring/shell that wraps around the underworld(which is infinite...maybe it actually wraps around the heavens :U), with Asgard on the other side.

冥府-directly translates as 'hades' or 'realm of the dead.' By now it's obvious that the games use "the underworld" as its meaning, but it apparently doesn't describe the entire place.

魔界-'demonworld', this is the whole place, but it's rarely spoken about. I'm pretty sure Zolgonark/Hades just owns most of it, so a lot of it falls under his name. I'M GOING TO CALL IT UTGARD BECAUSE IT'S THE OPPOSITE OF SHINKAI/ASGARD

魔神-'demon gods'. The book calls Zorgy one, but I don't think they have a proper title yet in the localized games. I don't think any others have appeared in the series yet.

魔物-'demonthings', seems to fit with what everyone calls "demons." It even mentions Slimes and Skeletons. THOSE ARE TOTALLY DEMONS. This looks like the term they use when referring to tangible ones.

魔族-'demontribes,' shows up when they talk about demons as a species/race/whatever.

Japan loves adding title and whatnot to their names, but English takes up way more space, so the localizations usually drop them unless they're being silly and using extra words. Some of the localized titles are slightly different from what Japan used, but I think I left everything as their English equivalents.

For whatever reason Japan can't stick to just quotations or brackets or parentheses, so I'll be copying whatever they do for the appropriate words/phrases in the translations. Omittableyetstillkindofimportantwords will go in [] brackets inside the sentences, and stuff in parentheses past the period are just my notes on how silly sounding or confusing the passage/sentence was.

~~~
COME ON BOYS LET'S GO KILL SOME BOOOOOOAR
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
Walrus   DHE World Guidance Translations   Aug 25 2011, 09:01 PM
P.P.A.   (If anyone wants the scans, send me a PM or hit me...   Aug 26 2011, 02:47 PM
H. Tsukiyono   Since Rhia seems to be asleep and Walrus seems to ...   Aug 28 2011, 07:56 AM
Raijinili   walrus is probably also asleep "聖...   Aug 28 2011, 11:47 AM
Rhiannon   NO TRANSLATIONS IN THIS POST SORRY Hi Rhia needs ...   Aug 28 2011, 03:32 PM
H. Tsukiyono   third sentence, page 113 守護天...   Aug 29 2011, 10:29 AM
Walrus   They can't be naming the floating island Ancar...   Aug 30 2011, 10:15 PM
Walrus   Page 130, Amardians to The Seven Magi Ancardia ...   Sep 1 2011, 10:39 PM
Walrus   Page 131, Grim Angels to Western Forces Grim Ange...   Sep 1 2011, 10:40 PM
Walrus   Page 132, Seth-Rah to Balmores Seth-Rah, the Holy...   Sep 1 2011, 10:42 PM
Walrus   Page 133, Fantasinian Kingdom to Rondalians Fanta...   Sep 1 2011, 10:43 PM
P.P.A.   Hades Zolgonark (冥府...   Sep 2 2011, 07:04 AM
Walrus   Something a little more backstory instead of what ...   Sep 2 2011, 02:42 PM
Walrus   This post be for the bits at the top of certain pa...   Sep 3 2011, 07:05 PM
Walrus   This post will have everything from 108-113(since ...   Sep 4 2011, 05:16 PM
P.P.A.   [b]Demon Dragon Brongaa and Mounain Worshipping R...   Sep 7 2011, 03:40 PM
aerozero   Pretty pictures are picture pretty. Thanks for th...   Sep 7 2011, 11:03 PM
Rhiannon   FINE GO TO BED BEFORE I FINISH EATING [04:01:09] ...   Aug 8 2012, 09:04 AM
Rhiannon   Not done, can't Japan anyway. Walrus can edit ...   Aug 8 2012, 05:34 PM
Walrus   Okay, too much junk in my previous post, so 114-12...   Aug 9 2012, 06:41 PM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:37 AM