Lacrima Castle
HelpSearchMembersCalendar

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Pros and Cons of Yggdra Union, (This is my opinion)
DragonKnight Jason
post Dec 10 2006, 04:36 PM
Post #1

Shy

Group: Arcs
Member No.: 347

Warning: This maybe somewhat of a spoiler for some people, but i doubt it

Yggdra Union is a pretty awesome game for GBA, one of the best I must admit, heres what's good about it...

- Nice artwork and animation on the character faces and sprites
- Plently of Cards to choose from to make strategies even deeper
- Awesome character classes (what could be better than dragons and undines?)
- Strategic gameplay and an original battle system

Although I was dissapointed with the game somewhat....

- Linear gameplay, you are playing the same maps consecutively, you have to follow the story completely, I want to be able to do some optional maps where I could get a few extra exp but I have to play the "next map" all the time, maybe a random dungeon would help?
- More characters please, for the majority of the time you are playing with the same 4 or 5 characters when there are other cool classes out there to be played, it frustrates me
- Extras and secrets are somewhat mediocre I mean a couple secret characters and a few secret cards with those extra item lists etc just aren't enough to get me to keep coming back to the game

Overall I give Yggdra Union an 8/10 if it had more of the above it would definately be a 10 but still lacking of what I like, your opinions on my opinions would be nice to hear.

~~~
IPB Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Dr Strum
post Dec 10 2006, 06:19 PM
Post #2

Can Lead the Nation with a Microphone

Group: Angels
Member No.: 1

- More characters please, for the majority of the time you are playing with the same 4 or 5 characters when there are other cool classes out there to be played, it frustrates me

Like what? The only classes you don't really get are just specialized/generic versions of ones you have, and then The Ancient and the final boss.

~~~
Писатель всегда будет в оппозиции к политике, пока сама политика будет в оппозиции к культуре.
+Quote Post
DragonKnight Jason
post Dec 10 2006, 08:55 PM
Post #3

Shy

I probably should have been more specific, but what I mean is by the time I get the character class I want its already near the end of the game and almost have no use for it. (Talking about the stray dragon of course) and for the first aprox. 20 battles you'll be using the same character classes with hardly any choice of who to put out. Hence the linear gameplay.

~~~
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Dr Strum
post Dec 10 2006, 09:04 PM
Post #4

I'm pretty sure the definition of linear game play is where you cannot choose how to play the game. Which you can in YU. Starting at BF7, the equipment and cards actually matter, in BF11A/B you'll finally start being forced to choose which characters to bring (not BF20 as you so egregiously exaggerated), and the choice in BF10 is... Well, a choice. Not to mention items you can and cannot get are often factored based on how well you play; your TRP and if you've ever retried and such.

~~~
Писатель всегда будет в оппозиции к политике, пока сама политика будет в оппозиции к культуре.
+Quote Post
DragonKnight Jason
post Dec 10 2006, 09:29 PM
Post #5

Shy

"Hardly any choice" meaning off by 1 or 2 units. Meh mayb im being a little too hard because im kinda comparing it to Fire Emblem in a way. .....Another idea of mine is that you should draw cards instead of pick them, which I thought was the system of it when I bought the game as it makes more sense, yet of course some people would disgree.

Linear as in forced to do a specific map time after time is the main idea of what I'm trying to say in Yggdra Union, I would like it better if I were to have some sort of option towards where I travel/get exp.

~~~
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Dr Strum
post Dec 10 2006, 09:35 PM
Post #6

So you're complaining about story linearity?

~~~
+Quote Post
DragonKnight Jason
post Dec 10 2006, 09:48 PM
Post #7

Shy

I guess you could say that, but I suppose im not as compelled to the story as you, I find it more fun to explore and level up before a "story-related fight" because it makes me feel more prepared for the battle. Now I just purposely use up all my cards so I can get the extra exp after Retrying a couple times. Which i'snt too fun in this case, but its how I roll with video games.

Like I said this an opinion, when your taking it as a complaint, I like Yggdra Union - I dont hate it.

~~~
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Dr Strum
post Dec 10 2006, 10:06 PM
Post #8

Opinion's are the basis of complaints.
And where did I make any mention of being "compelled" by the the story?

~~~
+Quote Post
DragonKnight Jason
post Dec 10 2006, 11:59 PM
Post #9

Shy

"not as compelled" was the entire statement meaning that you are probably more interested in the story then me. I did not directly say that you were compelled.

Although you are right about the opinion as to complaints.

This post has been edited by DragonKnight Jason: Dec 11 2006, 12:00 AM

~~~
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Seve
post Dec 12 2006, 03:46 AM
Post #10

Shy

Member No.: 320

Personally, I found character amount and all that fine. I just would have liked if there had been a little more interaction than besides before and after each new battlefield, and maybe some more CGs.
+Quote Post
Lord Jim
post Dec 12 2006, 09:54 AM
Post #11

Unregistered

It's true, that while the general plot is interesting, it has limited character interaction and development.
+Quote Post
Someone
post Dec 14 2006, 01:55 AM
Post #12

Lazy

Member No.: 335

I see what your saying about training your units before moving on. But I see more why this game was made to not let you do that.

If for example there was a random dungeon, like a BF 0 or something like that, that you could do over and over. You could just raise your cards way to high since raising the cards is relitivly easy compared to raising the character.

Example : card has 1000 when you go to BF3
Now add the points you get for doing the random dungeon a couple of times
card has 2000 when you enter the same BF3

regarding the system of leveling. It's much to much soft of a leving system for a random dungeon. all enemies in this random dungeon would atleast give 1 point to the leveling otherwise the random dungeon would be pointless. If you look at the leveling bar at really low levels you oly need around 20 or so. Talk about having a huge edge on an opponent if you go and fight a bunch of level 3's when your level 7.
+Quote Post
Desu
post Dec 14 2006, 12:59 PM
Post #13

デス

Member No.: 245

If you want to level up, just retry a battlefield with lots of enemies...although that is not necessary. Retrying is not really good

~~~
IPB Image
+Quote Post
level
post Dec 14 2006, 06:31 PM
Post #14

Casual Chatter

Member No.: 310

ya true lal if u lose and restart the battlefield you give up MVP for that
battlefield entirely

This post has been edited by level: Dec 14 2006, 06:32 PM
+Quote Post
Desu
post Dec 14 2006, 06:36 PM
Post #15

デス

Member No.: 245

But good experience building...

~~~
IPB Image
+Quote Post

6 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 12:18 PM